Midnight LJR Build

I do recall him chasing the wheel at one point, but that was the heavy wind we hit in Nevada, we passed @bobthetj03 in his motorhome towing his jeep. It was pretty scary what the wind was doing to the both of us

Yeah the wind was nuts that week, guess thatā€™s a bad week to compare it to. šŸ˜

Since @Alex01 is showing off ā€œhisā€ new ride, I might as well show off the new tow rig.

7.3L gasser, F250 with a Tremor package.

Hope is to throw our four wheel camper on the back and use it for glamping, and towing the Jeep to far away places.
Is you Four Wheel new or new to you? I have enjoyed owning for 10+ years. Hereā€™s my current one.

952376A5-58D1-4D96-8B4B-7329547A8D00.jpeg

E6A96BBD-EA82-4554-8F5E-D9BC61863D4E.jpeg

I do recall him chasing the wheel at one point, but that was the heavy wind we hit in Nevada, we passed @bobthetj03 in his motorhome towing his jeep. It was pretty scary what the wind was doing to the both of us
That entire trip was windy as heck!. I 2 fisted it most of the time.

So, are you planning to flat tow the jeep or are you getting a trailer?

Mostly we want the truck can camper for long road trips exploring national parks etc. needed the 250 to have adequate payload for the camper.

When we take the Jeep I would get a trailer to tow it. I always figured flat towing doesnā€™t help me if I break something and need to haul it home.

Mostly we want the truck can camper for long road trips exploring national parks etc. needed the 250 to have adequate payload for the camper.

When we take the Jeep I would get a trailer to tow it. I always figured flat towing doesnā€™t help me if I break something and need to haul it home.
And the cost of adding tow brakes to a TJ goes a long ways towards cost of a trailer.

Mine is a 2018 and when I was buying it they were telling me it was the last year for the manual but only said behind the diesel. Never thought to ask about the gas models.

I got my 2008 for a great price too because it was a manual and no one wanted it. They were really surprised when I jumped on it.
Sorry for the derail of your thread.

Still a great looking truck even if it's a Ford & a gas pot... šŸ¤Ŗ

20210520_125022.jpg

Mine is a 2018 and when I was buying it they were telling me it was the last year for the manual but only said behind the diesel. Never thought to ask about the gas models.

I got my 2008 for a great price too because it was a manual and no one wanted it. They were really surprised when I jumped on it.
Sorry for the derail of your thread.

Still a great looking truck even if it's a Ford & a gas pot... šŸ¤Ŗ

View attachment 253734

A bit low because I took this after heading up the Sierra Nevada mountains to Truckee.
20210514_205756.jpg

Have you seen the insane prices people are asking for 2018 Ram's with a manual? šŸ˜²

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
Have you seen the insane prices people are asking for 2018 Ram's with a manual? šŸ˜²

No I haven't looked. The state of WA says I can't drive a manual anymore so I don't look. I miss rowing gears sometimes.
And isn't it funny that no one would order a manual but now that they aren't available anymore everyone wants one.

Back in 2005 when I bought my first Ram I searched for a manual for a long time and finally got an automatic becasue even then a manual truck was crazy priced.

No I haven't looked. The state of WA says I can't drive a manual anymore so I don't look. I miss rowing gears sometimes.
And isn't it funny that no one would order a manual but now that they aren't available anymore everyone wants one.

Back in 2005 when I bought my first Ram I searched for a manual for a long time and finally got an automatic becasue even then a manual truck was crazy priced.
I bought mine cheap because someone spec-ed it out loaded with a manual and they couldnā€™t sell it. I wasnā€™t really interested because it had a sunroof until he told me what he would sell it for.

Since my Jeep is awesome and there is nothing to say about it right now. Iā€™ll
Continue the tow rig update.

The dealer said Ford has a bulletin on wandering steering and they said that a weak steering dampener from the factory can be the cause.

I personally wasnā€™t buying it but guess I need to go through their steps. They replaced it with a new one. I tried to get them to check the alignment for toe out but they didnā€™t and I had to leave so didnā€™t have time to make them.

Initially I thought it made a difference, but after driving couple hundred miles it definitely did not. Handling is still unacceptable. You pretty much canā€™t take your eyes off the road, if you look down to change a radio station when you look back up it requires a steering correction. Essential you need to drive it the whole time making little steering corrections. Feels pretty crappy, kind of like my Jeep before @mrblaine fixed it. Wonder if he works on FordsšŸ¤£

Seeing lots of the same complaints about the 2020, and 2021 trucks online most seem to be centered around the new and ā€œimprovedā€ electric power steering pump.

At this point I am just trying to be patient. Is there any reason I should keep it in Ca and keep taking back to the same dealer I bought it? My plan was to drive it back to Utah and finish dealing with it at my local dealer.

But it does look cool in the snow at the cabin...
7215AF39-B332-46A2-A432-58D0C376717B.jpeg

Since my Jeep is awesome and there is nothing to say about it right now. Iā€™ll
Continue the tow rig update.

The dealer said Ford has a bulletin on wandering steering and they said that a weak steering dampener from the factory can be the cause.

I personally wasnā€™t buying it but guess I need to go through their steps. They replaced it with a new one. I tried to get them to check the alignment for toe out but they didnā€™t and I had to leave so didnā€™t have time to make them.

Initially I thought it made a difference, but after driving couple hundred miles it definitely did not. Handling is still unacceptable. You pretty much canā€™t take your eyes off the road, if you look down to change a radio station when you look back up it requires a steering correction. Essential you need to drive it the whole time making little steering corrections. Feels pretty crappy, kind of like my Jeep before @mrblaine fixed it. Wonder if he works on FordsšŸ¤£

Seeing lots of the same complaints about the 2020, and 2021 trucks online most seem to be centered around the new and ā€œimprovedā€ electric power steering pump.

At this point I am just trying to be patient. Is there any reason I should keep it in Ca and keep taking back to the same dealer I bought it? My plan was to drive it back to Utah and finish dealing with it at my local dealer.

But it does look cool in the snow at the cabin...
View attachment 254394
Steering dampeners generally arenā€™t the solution to steering problems. More of a band aid. Iā€™d try the Utah dealer.

Sucks you have issues with the new truck. I love how mine drives but I have another 800 lbs up front cause of the diesel.

Man that really SUCKS that you're having issues.
I've had one recall on mine which was the steering also but it was the adjuster on the tie rod and they welded it to keep it from coming loose. Not my first idea of a fix but...

I hope they can figure it out for you soon. I'd take it back home with you to UT and let them have a stab at it. I know I'm not really happy with my local dealer and have gone to the one in Yakima instead for stuff before.