Mild build until sold

Hoosier

2B483A61-AA24-4CAE-B203-AC0F37280999.jpeg
E9F010F7-EC74-45B6-A301-43D0B9FF325E.jpeg
B19129E3-1BA6-4886-BAD0-ACFAB1C10431.jpeg
74FE1202-317E-47DE-A388-B7B941DBDC78.jpeg
D78BD298-9A1B-4E35-A97F-6EAF6E5B9E7C.jpeg
So as many of you know I have a 98 TJ that I acquired cheap but ended up putting a 93 motor in (that in it self is a story). Well I put it up for sale as an ugly but great running Jeep. Well apparently here in mighty Utah an ugly Jeep is barely worth scrap (even at $1200 under low book) so I have decided to start doing some free to inexpensive upgrades to aid in the sale and if I hit “that point” where I make it the way “I” want it I will just keep it.

So in the pictures you will see how it looked when I got it. To start there are zero visual inhancements but got it running and driving perfect. The first visual mod is I preped the wheels and shot them. Next I want to paint the top but I don’t know if I should go black, darker brown or tan. I also want to find some used seats as mine are beat.

On the wheels should I run hub caps or go without them?

I like with the hub cap. And if the seats are only torn a bit, a cheaper mod than replacing is finding some seat covers. I hope you end up keeping it. Sounds like you have some sweat equity built up in it :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
The seats are BAD the foam is past the frame

As far as keeping the Jeep I am not real stuck on the idea as I have never been a “jeep guy”

My mud trucks were all fords
My crawlers have all been Toyota’s and chevys

So I guess we will see where it ends up lol

Glad to see you saved that Jeep.. it looks like it was pretty sad....and being parked next to that Yellow fire and water damage car didn't do much for its image or self esteem either....lol

I like black wheel and like the grey at the back too...I'd go black on the hard top so the wheels will match. Rattle can those mirrors while your there too.

I did not think about the mirrors but I like it. I will try to work on those today if I get caught up on my work (yeah right) so black top with the green? I don’t see me doing a full body paint

Personally not a fan of the black top with the green Jeep. Green with tan top is one of the classic combinations. If you plan to restore the green paint, I'd do the same for the tan hard top. IMO.

No plan on doing the green but maybe depending on if it sells or not. I plan on doing fenders here soon and bumpers

When I look at the condition of the Jeep and read that you're in Utah, I immediately think to myself that this would make an awesome dedicated trail rig for the likes of Moab and such! I hate to bastardize a pristine example for destroying in the rocks, so this might be the perfect excuse!

Especially since it will probably sell for next to nothing as you're slowly figuring out.

Exactly... I am in the middle of building a 76 Chevy reg cab short bad back halved crawler

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
BA1E2D69-367C-40C7-B557-7451FEF48661.jpeg
So a little more progress tonight wheels done (tires I hope tomorrow) and the mirrors. It takes a while with trying to prep everything correctly

Reactions: RedrumRH
9B775042-51CB-4073-AF06-C38BE53E3381.jpeg
A9124B44-2127-4378-B4CF-57586108754F.jpeg
So no tires today but I did get the frame wire wheeled and painted much better I think

I plan on modding the bumper tomorrow but it’s damn hot in the shop so will do what I can when not working on paying work