Mildly Out of Hand 02 Sahara Build

I drove with it around town today it is not noticeable at all on the street. If I listened carefully with no music in a parking lot I could hear it ratchet slightly. Pretty excited to get it out on some rocks and see the difference!
That's good to hear. Glad the install went well, and that you're gonna put it to good use. Enjoy the rocks!

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
Pretty bad at updating the build thread and there's been some improvements. My previous gear set was improperly setup and it resulted in needing a new ring and pinion. I got a good deal on an arb as well so I had that installed in the rear. Its a lot nicer for a daily and in the snow. Upon removing the shafts I got in a deal I noticed the splines were twisted so I bit the bullet on some revolution shafts. I also installed a twin compressor on my inner fender. For the switches I pulled out the hardtop switches for now and ran the ARB switches there. Lastly I installed Blaines brake flip kit because I needed new e brake cables and I figured why not for the extra holding power and potential future outboard.View attachment 300972View attachment 300973View attachment 300970View attachment 300969
So I noticed you have the exact wheels that I purchased used. I’m going to need the hubcentric rings. It looks like you did the same thing? Do you remember where you got them or best way to measure what size I need?

Edit: I did some research. Looks like the TJ hubs are 71.50mm and the wheels are 79.375mm but I can’t find that size ring

Last edited:
So I noticed you have the exact wheels that I purchased used. I’m going to need the hubcentric rings. It looks like you did the same thing? Do you remember where you got them or best way to measure what size I need?

Edit: I did some research. Looks like the TJ hubs are 71.50mm and the wheels are 79.375mm but I can’t find that size ring
I never used a ring at all. I bought the wheels when I was 17 and wasn’t even aware of them until later. That being said I’ve run them for years now with no noticeable wobble, balancing problems, component wear, or other issues.

Cuesta grade?
Yep! There’s a good little rocky section that is kind of fun and perfect to shakedown new parts without driving too far. I know the rubicon is your stomping grounds so let me know if you’ll be out there next weekend. I plan on being at buck Friday night and the springs Saturday.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Yep! There’s a good little rocky section that is kind of fun and perfect to shakedown new parts without driving too far. I know the rubicon is your stomping grounds so let me know if you’ll be out there next weekend. I plan on being at buck Friday night and the springs Saturday.
as of now, first trip up there isn't until July...

Ran the Rubicon over the weekend and figured I'd throw some pics in here. The front locker was a game changer and the Jeep performed awesome. Next mods will be raised body mounts, new front Driveshaft, new engine skid, and transmission crossmember. Here's a photo dump from the trail.

DSC_0076_Original.jpg

DSC_0115_Original.jpg

DSC_0117_Original.jpg

DSC_0267_Original.jpg

DSC_0706_Original.jpg

DSC_0438_Original.jpg

DSC_0560_Original.jpg

DSC_0385_Original.jpg

DSC_0431_Original.jpg

Time for my periodic update. I've been wheeling tons this summer. Since I've been home from college for the summer I've been working full time and taking summer classes online. Working hard during the week to wheel on the weekends. Since the last update I've installed a TW front DS. Swapped my SYE to a different 231 I got from a member hear because of a noisy bearing, lots of random maintenance, built a cargo rack out of a free aluminum hitch mounted cargo basket, done two more Rubicon trips, one wheeling trip to wheel Red Lake and Coyote Lake in Shaver, ran Deer Valley, and Sourgrass in the Sierras. Figured I'd post up some photos too.

68168272442__474E7D12-DD09-42AB-8C1A-7B60B0024525.jpg

Image (1).jpeg

IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6394.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6548.JPG

I also purchased some raised body mounts that are on the list to do. Mine have seen better days. I also have been doing work on another HP 30 which is already geared to 4.88 and has a matching arb. It's getting new bushings, brackets, ball joints, beefing up the trackbar mount a bit, and a few other things.

Jeep has been getting some love lately. I installed a new LUK clutch, LUK flywheel, LUK pressure plate, Timken TOB and Timken Pilot bearing. This job was not without a little drama, as one of the e torx bolts ended up stripping. Luckily I did this job on a lift at a shop with a trans jack so it wasn't horrible.

68696801146__662ACCFF-8BFE-4266-BA7F-AF24AC7E78FA.jpg
I also was able to straighten all of my bent skids with a press. Then I finally retired the original Currie tie rod, which after almost two years of beating was properly smoked.
IMG_6903.jpg
My original body mounts were also past the point of no return so I burned in some SWAG body mounts, getting rid of my 6 BL pucks.
IMG_6961.jpg
The jeep has been on wheeling only duty while occasionally towing dirt bikes around. I used it to pick up a screamin deal of an XR650L with a spare motor, which is my current restoration project. My plan is to have that one done for a month long cross country dual sport ride after graduating college in June.
IMG_6833.jpg

Well, it has been a minute but I finally have the Wheel Vintiques on the way. Were you able to reuse the lugnuts from your Canyons or did you have to buy different ones? Also, did you need to scuff the wheels before painting? TIA.

Well, it has been a minute but I finally have the Wheel Vintiques on the way. Were you able to reuse the lugnuts from your Canyons or did you have to buy different ones? Also, did you need to scuff the wheels before painting? TIA.

I painted the wheels as is and reused the lug nuts.

Just finished a wheeling trip out in jv for New Years. Hit turkey claw, claw hammer, boulder dash, upper jv trail and a few more no winching or major breakages. I did get denied at chocolate thunder as it was really chewed up this year. Here’s a

05AF8A73-F33C-479F-9131-F3F11029E308.jpeg

BE344EC7-61B7-42B4-A875-F4B8BBEFC4D6.jpeg

FECA58BA-CFE3-4E6B-9884-F82BCA758FC5.jpeg

0FB232B8-26A0-45F7-B37D-275041CBAC66.jpeg

3FA5924A-B65E-497D-A35A-D0E2879EA0A0.png

265F6D23-D466-4AE3-9DFB-1AFB5218CF41.jpeg

47D145BB-D8B8-4290-83B1-B126FCB62B9E.jpeg

3CBC655E-09AD-4C24-BB85-484397450967.jpeg
photo dump. Pretty impressed with what a nearly stock tj can do with lockers 35s skids and good spotting.