MiRustyjeep

After looking at parts diagrams and what not, I found that I'm missing my dust shields on the brakes, I wanted to replace the six hub bolts and the plastic "oil slinger / debris shields" are broken. PLUS, I rolled my ankle about a week ago, and yesterday didn't do anything to help it. So, I have more parts on order and I'm trying to take it easy today on my ankle.

Man, that sucks. I rolled mine playing tennis on hardcourt few years ago and took me 3 months to be normal again. It would get sightly better and I would hurt it again just going down there stairs or even just walking. Don't be like me!

Hope you sort so the brake woes soon.

Ankle is on the mend, so this weekend I hope to get my Jeep back on its wheels. Needs some boring stuff, like an oil change and alignment too.

I did decide to buy some aluminum body lift pucks from M.O.R.E. Northridge 4x4 had them individually, so I bought 11 for about 80 bucks shipped. Going to replace the magic, shrinking JKS pucks. I'll lose a 1/4" of "lift" (maybe) but it should be ok. I'll have to figure out something for the grill shell, but that shouldn't be too bad. I'm a pack rack and I'm pretty sure I kept the original snubbers, so I'll figure out a way to use those, or cut the JKS ones. Hopefully I can get the all the JKS crap out of there and sell it to some other unsuspecting mall crawler to offset some cost.

Reactions: psrivats and fuse
Glad your ankle is doing better! You'll figure out something for the grill snubbers. I'm sure there are ways to get that done.

I made progress today, and now I'm waiting for parts again...

Got the driver's side back together, and when I slide my axle into the diff, it sounded gritty.

I documented that here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/cleaning-axle-tubes.34782/#post-569246
I have new inner seals, lube lockers, and tube seals on the way. I understand the negatives about tube seals, but after cleaning up this mess, I don't want to do it again.

Have I mentioned I hate mud? This one lapse in judgement

download_20190413_170807-jpg.jpg

Required me to replace my rear brakes and now I have all the Bullshit with the front axle.

Finally have the front buttoned back up and ready for a test drive. Got new inner axle seals installed, diff went back in without issue. Installed a lube locker this time though... Tired of RTV. I added a couple axle seals too, vs the plastic slingers. I know they are frowned upon here, but I'd rather keep my tubes clear of mud. I installed brand new seals at the same time, so I should be good for a long time. This was the deciding factor for me. Look at the grit in here!
IMG_20200502_201344668.jpg
IMG_20200502_201355796.jpg

Along with the inner seals, I made myself a seal installation tool out of a gate turnbuckle. Half thirteen thread, RH and LH. Couple nuts, and some aluminum "washers" I cut from scrap with my hole saws. You'll notice the black section... That is epoxy. I had to cut about three inches out of the middle to get it to fit the housing. I don't have access to a TIG welder at home, so I made do. I'll clean it up and weld it at work next week. It worked slick.

IMG_20200508_222355046.jpg

I also took the opportunity to get my axle centered and do an alignment. MrBlains gun site method worked great to center my axle. I was only about a 1/4" off, but now it's dead nuts.

IMG_20200509_105127945.jpg

And my alignment.

IMG_20200509_121907722.jpg

This was further out...I was toed out about a 1/4". It's now toed in an 1/8. Finally, I took the time to center my steering wheel back up. It's been off since last year when I installed my control arms, I'm embarrassed to say.

Here are all the nice, new, shiny parts I installed... Include brake backing plates, which were missing. I also finally cut down the links for my Anti-rock so I could sell my disconnects. I was using the discos to connect my anti rock! I was pretty lazy last year regarding my Jeep!

IMG_20200508_231559210.jpg

Nice job! I am going through a lot of the same things you are without quite so much rust or mud, for the moment! I also have an 04 Rubicon. Where did you find the details to MrBlaines gun site method for axle centering? I have seen it mentioned several times but unsure of the source.

Like the inner seal tool. "The mother of invention"
Found the same gritty mung my sons dana 60. He made a scraper out of 1/2 moon shaped piece welded to a rod.
Also put improved outer axle seals in.

Well, I broke Whitmer's ridiculous stay home-stay safe order a couple weeks ago and ran down to Dayton to meet up with @taylormade73. He had an aluminum skid plate for me. Its an Undercover Fab extra clearance. Its a very nice piece. I know its not the full tuck of a Savvy, but its going to cut my belly height in half, and should make everything else easier. Pinion angles, vibs, rear track bars, etc. I'm excited to get it in...but I'm holding off for a little bit. Got some more planning to do, like move my locker pumps and get some other projects finished up first. I also may take it to a fab shop for some modifications...like plugging those holes in the corner. I'm going to run this, as-is, for now and see how it works. If it isn't high enough, I'll go through and design a cross-member and skid that I can fab myself. Having family with a brake big enough to bend 1/4" aluminum is a nice luxury...I get a nice discount on material and free work!

1590772056939.png

1590772073498.png

1590772088852.png

In other news...I have a clunk coming from my front end again. I'm starting to regret replacing my balljoints. I did it as preventative...but the ones I took out were not "bad." starting to kick myself for that one. I'm not 100% convinced its my ball joints yet though. I don't get the clunk 100% of the time so, It might be something else. I have adjustable control arms to check, I've played with my trackbar recently, etc.

Looks awesome, I am still struggling with the whole weight versus cost thing. Need to move my pumps as well and it has risen to near the top of the list. Good luck with the install.

Quick update. I did a quick dry steering test this weekend to try and get to the source of my new clunk. Found a loose bolt on the axle side track bar. Again, it proves Occam's razor in that the simplest solution is usually the answer. I adjusted my axle position...so it makes sense that something I touched would be loose.

I'm also noticing that my steering gear has some play. I'm going to try and tighten it up a little. There is a procedure in the FSM to adjust the box. Not sure if I'm going to follow that, or just give it a quick 1/4 turn to see how it reacts. There isn't a lot of options out there for replacement on the ZF gear short of the 900 dollar PSC big bore kit.

Reactions: psrivats
Worked on the tummy tuck the last couple weeks. Man...this is a lot of work. It's no joke.

Spent last weekend painting my skids. They turned out really well, to bad they are gonna get beat up.

IMG_20200801_120344808_HDR.jpg

This weekend, I moved my locker pumps, installed my new Tom Woods drive shaft, adjusted my pinion angle and removed my old trackbar bracket for an angled one.

IMG_20200807_183006070.jpg

IMG_20200809_172623046.jpg

IMG_20200809_172638778.jpg

I also cut my exhaust support so I can re-weld it with the transmission 2.5" higher.
IMG_20200809_133414317.jpg

Also found the rear output seal of my transfer case is leaking. I've been noticing a film of oil under the Jeep for a while. Not enough to drip on the floor or anything and I couldn't pin point it. Today, when I pulled the driveshaft, a good amount came out of the yoke. So... That will need to be fixed before this project is "done."

I have a wheeling trip planned for the 21st so pressure is on!

Worked on the tummy tuck the last couple weeks. Man...this is a lot of work. It's no joke.

Spent last weekend painting my skids. They turned out really well, to bad they are gonna get beat up.

View attachment 182606

This weekend, I moved my locker pumps, installed my new Tom Woods drive shaft, adjusted my pinion angle and removed my old trackbar bracket for an angled one.

View attachment 182612

View attachment 182607

View attachment 182608

I also cut my exhaust support so I can re-weld it with the transmission 2.5" higher.View attachment 182609

Also found the rear output seal of my transfer case is leaking. I've been noticing a film of oil under the Jeep for a while. Not enough to drip on the floor or anything and I couldn't pin point it. Today, when I pulled the driveshaft, a good amount came out of the yoke. So... That will need to be fixed before this project is "done."

Man that’s looking good. You’re right, it’s tons of work. Hang in there. It is worth it. Now hurry up and get it done!

Reactions: Mike_H

View attachment 182606

View attachment 182612

View attachment 182607

View attachment 182608

I also cut my exhaust support so I can re-weld it with the transmission 2.5" higher.View attachment 182609

Awesome progress. What else have you planned to do before the trip?

Reactions: Mike_H
Awesome progress. What else have you planned to do before the trip?
That is plenty, I think, LOL! I have to adjust my parking brake too (its completely non-functional currently). Other than that, I have 100% trust in my jeep at this point, so if its not going to rust apart between now and then, I should be good!

Reactions: psrivats
For those curious, This is what the UCF extra clearance skid looks like, bolted into position. Never mind the ugly brown stuff on my frame. I'm working on it.

For me, I'm really liking how this is turning out. I know its not the ultimate, maximum tuck you can achieve. However, doing it this way gives me a pretty decent tuck, and my driveline isn't very extreme either. It should keep me vib free, which is very important to me. I use my jeep on-road MUCH more than I wheel it.

1597060574955.png

Compared to the factory skid I gained about 2.5"

1597061581956.png

Last edited: