Moab, as promised

Neal

TJ Enthusiast
Well, my wife and I made it to Moab, just like she wanted. Pulled into town yesterday afternoon after a 6 hour trip up from Albuquerque, got some food and flaked out at the hotel. This morning we got up bright and early and headed for the Sand Flats Recreation Area to run Fins and Things, a 9.4 mile trail consisting of slickrock and sand. It was mostly easy going with a few places requiring a bit more skill (or simple, bloody-minded audacity). I consistently went with the audacity, although even the toughest parts were still easy enough for my LJ (35's and lockers on both ends). On the last few obstacles I didn't engage the lockers, just to see what would happen. The answer? No big deal, the "slickrock" was really grippy and the Jeep just walked right up everything I pointed it at. A few pics (one thing I noted afterward was that I took lots of pics of the Jeep and almost no scenery shots. I'll have to do better tomorrow):

Climbs and descents were almost equally easy. 4 low, 1st gear, let out the clutch and away we go. BTW, there really is a driver at the wheel in this shot...
20210625_085623.jpg

First decent climb, maybe 15 feet up an uneven rockface. No worries, mate!
20210625_091712_Moment.jpg

How many of you have noticed that peculiar optical illusion that makes your climbs and descents look a LOT steeper from inside the cockpit that it does to an outside observer? Yeah, got a lot of those today. On this one, all I could see in front of me was sky.
20210625_104207_Moment 2.jpg

OK, this one actually looks almost as steep as it really was, with the added thrill of a hard left turn at the top to keep from falling off the other side of the fin. Still, the LJ took it all in stride and made me look like a much better driver than I really am. I'm beginning to think that my build plan is making sense, all of the different mods are working together to make things pretty easy on the idiot driver.
20210625_111012_Moment 2.jpg

That's it for today, tune in tomorrow for the after action report on Hell's Revenge. After a very satisfying run today I'm looking forward to a bit more of a challenge. It ain't KOH, but it'll do for me.

I'm so jealous! I will finally be going to Moab for the 1st time this October. I'm hoping to have 35's on my LJ by then but might still be rolling on 33's. I look forward to more of your insights on the trails.

Reactions: Rick Flair and L J
My first and last time out there on fins and things as a completely stock jeep sport...

Your first photo I was more concerned of bottoming out at the welcome to fins and things here's your first slope.

Your second photo I noped out & bypassed off to the left somewhere.... bottomed out on the fuel skid up the bypass

Your 4th photo at the near end of the trail literally felt like I was driving up a wall luckily I met up with 2 other jeepers out there after crossing the road to the north sides first awkward "you better know your line" down this goofy off cambered slope area & I was able to eventually see them hang a left at the top because as you describe... you really are just able to see sky only through the windshield.

Heres my photo from the top of that last steep incline after turning left.
nothing was too crazy, but from wetlands and flat sandy ground Michigan, Fins and things was quite the experience for me & im not too interested in going back honestly. it was quite the experience but ive seen it once and had enough. I honestly like the high single lane "drop off the edge of the cliff" passes up in the mountains of Colorado alot more. and I wholeheartedly agree, theres no need for lockers on fins and things.. just common sense and a brain. I heard my tires squeak and I controlled slid a bit but id expect the same for anyone that was locked.
tempImagezGhlnK.jpg

My first and last time out there on fins and things as a completely stock jeep sport...

Your first photo I was more concerned of bottoming out at the welcome to fins and things here's your first slope.

Your second photo I noped out & bypassed off to the left somewhere.... bottomed out on the fuel skid up the bypass

Your 4th photo at the near end of the trail literally felt like I was driving up a wall luckily I met up with 2 other jeepers out there after crossing the road to the north sides first awkward "you better know your line" down this goofy off cambered slope area & I was able to eventually see them hang a left at the top because as you describe... you really are just able to see sky only through the windshield.

Heres my photo from the top of that last steep incline after turning left.
nothing was too crazy, but from wetlands and flat sandy ground Michigan, Fins and things was quite the experience for me & im not too interested in going back honestly. it was quite the experience but ive seen it once and had enough. I honestly like the high single lane "drop off the edge of the cliff" passes up in the mountains of Colorado alot more. and I wholeheartedly agree, theres no need for lockers on fins and things.. just common sense and a brain. I heard my tires squeak and I controlled slid a bit but id expect the same for anyone that was locked.
View attachment 261508
Should go run Cliffhanger

Reactions: Rick Flair
Should go run Cliffhanger
considered it, but was just a day trip and was a long way there and back from the Rifle CO area. figured theres always next time. I will be out that way again around mid august for a weeks vacation but dont have any really set in stone plans. its a 22 hour drive in 2 days to my aunts place out in CO but everything of any interest is another 3-5 hours from there plus all the slow driving bouncing around on all the rocks of the trail. considering making a stop to see Wheeler Geologic Area this year.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Day 2 at Moab took us to Hell's Revenge, a trail with a fearsome reputation that, to me, was a bit overblown. I'm not saying that there weren't some tough spots but a well-prepared Jeep with a competent driver will not have any serious problems. I had a lot of fun going up and down and up and down and - well, you get the picture. Speaking of pictures...

The gatekeeper for Hell's Revenge is a looong climb up a sandstone fin that just gets taller and taller. It's probably only 150 feet or so to the top but it feels like more. The Wife got a little nervous on the way up, she's not too good with heights. Of course, once you get to the top you have to go down the other side...
20210626_081224.jpg

I think that this shot gives the best feel for the length and steepness of many of the climbs. I never bothered to engage the lockers on most of them, the LJ just walked right up with no problems. The descents were about the same, I just kept it in first gear and let compression do all the work.
20210626_084708.jpg

20210626_084224.jpg

The scenery was gorgeous, with mile after mile of huge, eye-filling vistas that seemed to go on forever. I don't think I will ever get tired of views like these.
20210626_102038.jpg

20210626_085331.jpg

20210626_094425.jpg

I decided to do Hell's Gate, just because. My wife elected to stay at the top of the exit and videotape my attempt. A guided group of side-by-sides saw her standing there, all alone, and wanted to know why, When she told them that I was coming up the Gate in a few minutes they all decided to stay and watch the idiot give it a try. It really wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated - like most obstacles, if you pick the right line and don't lose your nerve you will likely do fine. I did fine.
20210626_100116_Moment.jpg

I skipped the Escalator, my wife isn't an experienced spotter and it is tricky enough that I didn't want to try it solo. I also bypassed Mickey's Hot Tub - I gotta drive this thing home. I did give Tipover Challenge a shot. Actually, I did it twice, my wife's phone died while shooting video the first time. To tell the truth, I did better the first time because it was easy enough that I got a little cocky on the second run and didn't choose as good a line. Still made it but it lacked style.
20210626_111219_Moment.jpg

Heading back to Albuquerque tomorrow but we will be back to Moab as soon as we can make it happen. Poison Spyder, Metal Masher, Golden Spike and the rest of the trails are on the list for next time. EJS next year???
20210626_101418.jpg

Last edited:
I fully agree with this - other than the escalator and hot tubs the trail wasn’t as tough as rated.
Yeah, after listening to one of the Rent-A-Jeep tour guides on the radio telling his daily dose of soccer moms and bistro waiters with man buns "Just follow where I go, you'll be fine" I realized that the locals may have jacked up the ratings just a bit. I have no doubt that some of the obstacles on some of the trails fully live up to their ratings, but based on my admittedly small sample I'm going to be a little less willing to accept them at face value on my next trip up here.

Also agree

And come to TJFest 2022 instead of EJS.
Done!

Thank you very much for sharing.... Gorgeous scenery as always....
The first time I went to Moab was 1999 and went almost every year after thru to 2018.
So much in the Moab area has changed....; numerous trails and obstacles are no longer open.
The entrance to Hells Revenge Trail was paved due to vehicles inability to navigate the obstacle.
Camels Back was closed due to the land being purchased by a developer...