Modoc Guy builds a Jeep

Congratulations on the new house! Does this mean we'll have to call you "Fernley Guy" now? :)
And Fernley keeps me close to the Rubicon, and wheeling with all the great NorCal guys.

I’ll be exploring the Nevada desert, and places like Moonrocks, but I think the best wheeling’s still in NorCal!

And Fernley keeps me close to the Rubicon, and wheeling with all the great NorCal guys.

I’ll be exploring the Nevada desert, and places like Moonrocks, but I think the best wheeling’s still in NorCal!
Looks like you'll be even closer to our wheeling spots! Congrats on the move!

Nope, the family is still here at the ranch, and I’ll still be here a bunch. So I’ll keep my Modoc roots and handle.

And while I’ll live in Nevada, all my family and friends are still in NorCal, so that’s where I’ll Jeep and ride!

Besides, Fernley Guy sounds kinda goofy, doesn’t it? 🤣
It does sound goofy. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Modoc Guy

You are right....great places to wheel in Northern California. But I do like exploring the Nevada desert. Several of us NorCal guys have slipped over the Nevada border a couple of times to wheel.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I’ll be doing some exploring there soon, well, cuz I’ll be living there mostly.

And if I find some cool spots, I’ll happily report back. 😸
In Mina Nevada they have a poker run ever year on the second weekend in June for side by sides and Jeeps, I've been twice in my SxS. Thinking about doing it again these year. Lots of country to ride in.

In Mina Nevada they have a poker run ever year on the second weekend in June for side by sides and Jeeps, I've been twice in my SxS. Thinking about doing it again these year. Lots of country to ride in.
If you go this year, let me know. I'll try it too, If I can remember the where and when! :ROFLMAO:

Ok guys and gals, haven’t been around in quite a while. It seems that moving when you’re 69 is a bit more difficult than when you’re 30!

Still haven’t got everything moved, but I’ve got enough of my tools here to do for now.

I know you couldn’t care less about the house, but here’s a picture of the Jeep and my Sportster in their new digs.

7911567A-22F3-47E0-8AC7-B029B85907B1.jpeg

From no garage for over 2 years to a 3 car garage, pretty sweet!

The Jeep and bike get to stay indoors now, so they’re happy. But I’m not. The Harley doesn’t leak any oil, but I’ve gotta have a drip pan under the Jeep now that it’s decided to leak like a sieve at the RMS.

And it’s probably gonna stay like that until winter. Good weather’s coming, and I plan on playing with my toys, not work on them.

Well, I’ve been watching the drip pan under the Jeep. And the amount of oil leaking out of it’s not normal for an RMS leak. It’s leaking a lot.

So I finally crawled under the Jeep to see what’s going on. Oil was all over, but seemed to be mostly around the pan gasket. I pulled out my ratchet and extension, and found most of the pan bolts loose as hell!

I’ve never touched the pan, and it makes me wonder how in the hell all those bolts got loose.

Gonna hit the underside and engine compartment of the Jeep with a de-greaser and take it to the car wash to clean it up. Then I guess I’ll just watch it for a while, see if that was the main issue.

I wanna get any leak issues taken care of before I put an engine skid on it.

Ok guys and gals, haven’t been around in quite a while. It seems that moving when you’re 69 is a bit more difficult than when you’re 30!

Still haven’t got everything moved, but I’ve got enough of my tools here to do for now.

I know you couldn’t care less about the house, but here’s a picture of the Jeep and my Sportster in their new digs.

View attachment 319431
From no garage for over 2 years to a 3 car garage, pretty sweet!

The Jeep and bike get to stay indoors now, so they’re happy. But I’m not. The Harley doesn’t leak any oil, but I’ve gotta have a drip pan under the Jeep now that it’s decided to leak like a sieve at the RMS.

And it’s probably gonna stay like that until winter. Good weather’s coming, and I plan on playing with my toys, not work on them.
Congratulations on your new place!
They changed the date of the Poker run in Mina Nevada this year. It's now July 16th. Several of us are going with SxSs. We see Jeeps on it as well. We are staying at the Sunrise Valley RV Park. There is BLM land that people camp on as well. You are close enough now (2 Hrs 10min) that you could make it a day trip if wanted.

Congratulations on your new place!
They changed the date of the Poker run in Mina Nevada this year. It's now July 16th. Several of us are going with SxSs. We see Jeeps on it as well. We are staying at the Sunrise Valley RV Park. There is BLM land that people camp on as well. You are close enough now (2 Hrs 10min) that you could make it a day trip if wanted.
That sounds like fun. I’ll have to make it down there. Haven’t been off road down in that area yet.
Been to Hawthorne on my motorcycle a few times, that’s as close as I’ve got.
Whole lot of nothing out there!

Reactions: lowranger
That sounds like fun. I’ll have to make it down there. Haven’t been off road down in that area yet.
Been to Hawthorne on my motorcycle a few times, that’s as close as I’ve got.
Whole lot of nothing out there!
Yes there is. I found this sign out there in the middle of nowhere....very helpful.
IMG_20190608_131929850.jpg

Well I finally got off my rear end and got my engine skid ordered. Now I’ll see how long Savvy takes to get the skid shipped.

All I have to say about it, is I hope I can get a sticker out of the deal. But I’ve heard they’re hard to come by! 😸

I’m back to wanting to run the Jeep now that I’ve got a new IAC motor for it. The dealership I ordered it from told me it was on National back order. I ordered it in April, I got it about a week ago! So far, the new IAC seems to be doing the trick, and I haven’t got a misfire code at startup.

Only time it would throw a code, and run rough was startup, so I figured it was the IAC, or maybe manifold intake temperature. So we’ll see how well I did with my diagnosis.

I’m kinda planning to go play on gatekeeper once I get the skid on the Jeep. I’ll post on the NorCal thread when I’m ready so if any y’all wanna go.😸

Since gas prices have been so high, and it’s been so hot, and it’s taken so long to get my IAC, I kinda put the Jeep on the back burner for a while.

I spent that time building and tuning my Sportster. I’ve put over 6k miles on it, running around NorCal, visiting friends and seeing the sights. 😺

But I feel that Jeep itch coming on! 🏔⛰🏕

Well, got the skid installed, but it took a little work. 😮‍💨

The skid is designed for Savvy’s belly skid, but my research told me it runs a little long, so if I trim it to fit, it ought to be perfect!

I put up the mounting brackets first. And shout out to @MountaineerTom for pointing out how those brackets go, cuz Savvy sends no information on installing their product. 😾
I brought the bolts through from the inside of the engine mounts. I fished them in place with a piece of safety wire wound around the threads of the mounting bolts.

4374BC1B-49E9-4013-BC25-19B1D9703142.jpeg

As MT, and others have pointed out, the driver side angle leg won’t position correctly because it hits the mounting bracket bolts, so it needs to be clearanced. I trimmed one side back 1”, and cut a 45 degree angle back to shape it like a tab.

58F1E355-078B-4D8A-9830-B7873F6658E4.jpeg

Once I had the front mounting arms in position, I could hang the skid and figure out where to trim for best fit.

A145B925-BC50-44B5-88AE-9F08485316B8.jpeg

9D992175-8C4F-4194-928C-F921DE0E1950.jpeg

After checking the rear fit overlay, I found the side flanges needed to be trimmed back roughly an inch, and the flat tail needed to be cut back 3 1/4”.
I also added a little extra room around the head pipe in case I ever pushed the skid up hitting an obstacle.

32D27218-B3D6-4198-BD05-A2585F9056BF.jpeg

CB374357-6A00-468A-B492-B4DAFBDB23CB.jpeg

Holes were drilled at the cutout turns to avoid sharp corners, that prevents cracking from vibration or other loading.

6BEDE7AC-6B16-4A2E-91BC-908D37659AB8.jpeg

Then I trimmed off the 3 1/4”,

FCFE5C73-A1DB-4FA7-BB75-A198DCF66874.jpeg

And made the headpipe clearance bigger,

9E407C25-1682-40C6-A990-1FC0CC2F6C65.jpeg

All cut out, and ready for me to debur with my sander, and layout, drill and countersink the holes.

F1026E17-E086-4A63-BBBD-8E1D0476BE82.jpeg

I figured the length out to overlap the 1”+ wide area in front of the transmission mount bolts, and behind the flanges on the belly skid.

7C3D80D8-972C-41D8-B60C-87FBE5A5B9E5.jpeg

So, after verifying position, match marking and drilling holes in the belly skid, this is how the overlap came out.

AB4F261D-44B4-4F52-928C-6E88944BC0AF.jpeg

A perfect meet up. And here’s a shot of the finished product.

07559A02-A18C-4216-8EAF-8EF6DAF1DDD8.jpeg

2BFBB7ED-CFBD-4A35-A635-711692808E62.jpeg

02072C06-4B51-4E73-A001-24D864D0E31E.jpeg

And, BTW, the cutout for the oil drain plug came out in the perfect position. That’s due to Savvy doing a good job figuring out the layout, and me starting with an established mounting point before making any modifications.

I’ll eventually get a valve for the drain plug I think. It’s got the room, and it sounds like it would take all the issues out of draining the oil.

And now I think I’m pretty trail safe as far as rocks to the engine/transmission go. 😸

I hope this info helps others if they’re installing the Savvy skid. But it’ll only apply to the models closest to my 2002, automatic, 4.0, no MML.
IIRC, 2003-06 are different at the belly skid, and I’m not sure about earlier models, so do your homework!

Well, the engine skid was a good addition to the rig, but I should have put a drain valve on the oil pan before I installed it! 😹
It’s going in now though…..

IMG_2111.jpeg

And once I started that, I realized there’s a bunch of stuff I need to do.

So, new plugs to go with the oil change/drain valve work. The old XP’s had about 40k on ‘em, but they look like they’re burning good. But they’re pretty used up.

IMG_2110.jpeg

The gap was opened up some, but they were tan to light brown, runnin good!

Plus an air filter for the “tune up”. Air filter looked fairly clean until I turned it over and tapped it. You should have seen the sand coming out of that filter!

Then I did all the zerk fittings I could get grease in.

Then I did the job I’ve been putting off for about a year or so. Changing out the rear axles.

When I bought the Jeep it had Dutchman axles in the Dana 44. Rear passenger side axle seal was leaking, so I bought a kit and swapped it in. And I’ll be damned if I didn’t nick the axle race with my die grander getting the old bearing off!

And I’ve never had any axle problems, having done that same thing to other axles. But that was on the street.

If I were racing, or off-roading, I wouldn’t trust a nicked axle, so, in goes a set of Revolution Axles! 😸

Now if I break an axle, it’ll be cuz I did something stupid! 😹