mvigo

just a humble beekeeper...
Lifetime Supporting Member
It was mentioned to me that I ought to look at Midnight LJR's build on this forum. Which I did. Amazing job and detail on that one! I looked around a little further, read about Chris's genesis of starting the Wrangler Jeep TJ Forum, was impressed with what he had to say and have enjoyed reading some of the rest of the builds and the camaraderie that is in them, so I joined up myself. Over the years, I have learned a ton on the CJ section of JeepForum, and this forum reminds me of that. With that in mind, I will dive in and tell all y'all a little about my TJ.

My Uncle bought this TJ in '04 and I asked him at the time if I could get first right of refusal if he ever decided to sell it down the road. He agreed. Anything he sells, you buy because he takes care of his "stuff" like no one I know. He helped me find my '85 CJ back in the 90's. 2 years ago just before Easter, he called me up and said he was selling his TJ, I promptly invited myself over for Easter dinner and drove up to his place with my trailer that weekend. It was a stock, 5 speed, minus bigger tires, with 82k miles on it and was in pristine condition. He never took off the hard top.

IMG_2333.jpeg

All the while he had it, I was planning on what to do to it if I ever was able to buy it. As the years went by, my plans changed as new, improved after market parts were developed. I always knew I would put 35's on it, re-gear it and lift it 4". I kept going back and forth between a short arm and long arm lift, the pros and cons were all over the map. I kept reading that a well built short arm was way better then any long arm. I would follow @mrblaine and @Jerry Bransford as their posts made sense to me. They both were logical, didn't seem to waste money and certainly called a spade a spade. A few others were helpful too, and they all convinced me towards the short arm until...

...I started reading about Savvy's mid-arm that I believe @mrblaine helped design and engineer along with Savvy. I think that was around 2014 or so. From that point on, as more and more Jeeps were installing the mid-arm and reporting how nice they were, I was sold. So, fast forward to Easter of 2018 and I knew exactly what i wanted to do to my new to me TJ. It was just a matter of going shopping. Savvy mid-arm, Currie 4" springs, Currie CorrectLync steering, Savvy tummy tuck, Savvy GTS, Savvy sliders/steps, Savvy under armor, Anti rock front and rear and Hanson front and rear bumpers with the swing out tire carrier. The 35" Cooper STT Pro's would be mounted on Method Hole 15"black wheels and would be stopped with @mrblaine's big brake kit. Of course, I needed to bulk up the axles and went with Revolution axles and swapped in their 4.88 gears. I added a few other goodies such as the Warn Zeon 8.5 winch with synthetic line, ARB on board twin air compressor and Tuffy center console. I have loved the stock look of the TJ so I knew I would leave the fenders alone.

Lastly, I wanted to do the work myself. A friend of mine, who owns a garage, offered up an extra bay and lift to do the work in. I drove my TJ to his shop, along with my tools and welder and spent the next 6-7 weeks (mostly weekends) cutting, grinding, cutting, grinding, welding, painting and installing all the parts. I had never re-geared an axle before and was running out of time as work was getting too busy so my pal re-geared for me and did a few other items as well, such as installing the big brake kit. I can't imagine some of you who installed the Savvy mid-arm in your garage or driveway, it was tough enough for me and I was using a lift!

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_2581.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2590.jpeg

this is what she looked like when I was "finished":

IMG_2662.jpeg

IMG_2664.jpeg

Notice I used quotes with finished. A year after this picture was taken, I ended up installing Poison Spyder's full cage.

The Jeep drives like a dream both on and off road. I usually run the Rubicon 2-3x's each summer, have been to Moab and just about everything I throw at her she eats up. The last thing, though, that I (have read over and over) I NEED to do is outboard the shocks. I have ripped off the rear lower shock mounts a couple of times already, and, although not a big deal to re-weld on, it is annoying. And, after reading so much about how better it will drive and perform on the trails, I am convinced this needs to be accomplished. I am now beginning to acquire the parts to complete that project and I am hoping to have it done by year's end. I don't want to tackle it myself and I know there is just one guy who I want to do it. I hope I can convince him at some point...

Look forward to reading more about what all y'all have done and perhaps one day we will meet on the trail. Thanks again, @Chris, for providing a nice environment to learn in...

Last edited:
Great build. Your jeep looks awesome. Hope you make it out to one of the norcal runs. We can see how the shorter vs longer wheelbase compare on the midarm. I could bet @Midnight LJR would he interested in seeing the difference.

Great build. Hope you make it out to one of the norcal runs. We can see how the shorter vs longer wheelbase compare on the midarm. I could bet @Midnight LJR would he interested in seeing the difference.

with enough notice, I could probably do it...

Very impressive to say the least. Clearly you did your homework 👍

Do you plan to outboard the shocks?

with enough notice, I could probably do it...
We have a few on the books currently. On the May 30th sour grass and slick rock / deer valley July 18-19. Check out the norcal post in the regional section.

Where in the bay are you? I'm in the east bay.

We have a few on the books currently. On the May 30th sour grass and slick rock / deer valley July 18-19. Check out the norcal post in the regional section.

Where in the bay are you? I'm in the east bay.

San Leandro, not far...

Reactions: Alex01
I remember you and your blue "7" from the CJ forum on the other site. Great looking and well equipped rig! Cheers!

Reactions: mvigo
Very nice build sir! Quality top shelf parts for sure. Welcome to the forum from the gateway to the Redwoods!

Reactions: mvigo
Ran the Rubicon this past weekend, went in at Loon Friday AM and came out Sunday afternoon in Tahoe. Camped Friday night at Buck Island lake, Saturday night in the Springs. Trail is getting more and more crowded, mosquitoes are out in force. But a beautiful, warm weekend. Hopefully, I will have some more drone footage in the coming days.

welcome sign has had a makeover:
IMG_2749.jpeg

throw some foil wrapped burritos on your manifold, drive for a few hours, stop for lunch!
IMG_2755.jpeg

Buck Island lake:
IMG_2757.jpeg

yours truly:
IMG_2779.jpeg

Observation Point:
IMG_2768.jpeg

We had 5 jeeps in total most of the trail, '97 TJ, my '04 TJ, '06 LJ, '16 JK and a brand spanking new JT on 37's. That JT is one long vehicle, and if you want to run trails like the Rubicon, I think 40's are more suited for it. This one, made it through with minimal damage but it was work, mainly due to its length. The owner is a very experienced driver so much of the credit goes to him. Saturday night, the '72 Pinzgauer joined us via Cadillac Hill. Manual steering, drum brakes that need replacing and a carburetor on 32's make for one interesting drive. I drove it around the springs and it drives you. The owner is an experienced wheeler and he wanted to take it in ONCE, and he can now check that off his bucket list.

IMG_2762.jpeg

As good as my TJ ran this trip, I now have all the parts to outboard front/rear shocks. I am hoping to have @mrblaine complete the work if/when he gets time this year. I consider myself somewhat mechanical, but, for some reason, I just can't wrap my head around outboarding shocks correctly.

I will post up some, what I hope to be, beautiful drone footage once I get it...hope all y'all are staying safe these days...

Last edited:
Ran the Rubicon this past weekend, went in at Loon Friday AM and came out Sunday afternoon in Tahoe. Camped Friday night at Buck Island lake, Saturday night in the Springs. Trail is getting more and more crowded, mosquitoes are out in force. But a beautiful, warm weekend. Hopefully, I will have some more drone footage in the coming days.

welcome sign has had a makeover:
View attachment 173409

throw some foil wrapped burritos on your manifold, drive for a few hours, stop for lunch!
View attachment 173423

Buck Island lake:
View attachment 173410

yours truly:
View attachment 173422

Observation Point:
View attachment 173411

We had 5 jeeps in total most of the trail, '97 TJ, my '04 TJ, '06 LJ, '16 JK and a brand spanking new JT on 37's. That JT is one long vehicle, and if you want to run trails like the Rubicon, I think 40's are more suited for it. This one, made it through with minimal damage but it was work, mainly due to its length. The owner is a very experienced driver so much of the credit goes to him. Saturday night, the '72 Pinzgauer joined us via Cadillac Hill. Manual steering, drum brakes that need replacing and a carburetor on 32's make for one interesting drive. I drove it around the springs and it drives you. The owner is an experienced wheeler and he wanted to take it in ONCE, and he can now check that off his bucket list.

View attachment 173416

As good as my TJ ran this trip, I now have all the parts to outboard front/rear shocks. I am hoping to have Blaine complete the work if/when he gets time this year. I consider myself somewhat mechanical, but, for some reason, I just can't wrap my head around outboarding shocks correctly.

I will post up some, what I hope to be, beautiful drone footage once I get it...hope all y'all are staying safe these days...
So jealous. Looks like you had a great time. It must have been fun watching the Pinzgauer go up Cadillac hill.

Having Blaine do the outboard is a great idea. It will probably also add value if you ever decided to sell the jeep. @Midnight LJR and I are going to do our best to do the rear on mine in the near future.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of what @mrblaine does to mount the rear antirock behind the axle in order to clear the shock mounts. After speaking with him it seems like bending the links will be needed but it will be fun to see if our attempt looks anything like the Guru's.

Are you going to raise the body mounts while you have it with him?