My quest for a 32RH pan drain that doesn't break the bank

hear

Can't type
Lifetime Supporting Member
First and foremost, I want a drain in my transmission pan. I've been frustrated with the deep pan options, and didn't like the idea of installing my own drain plug since I have enough trouble with leaky parts as it is. I found one on Summit for $60, but it's on back order and they've already moved the date out by 2 months (attention: @hosejockey61) so I've given up on that. Turns out lots of transmissions use our pan shape/size, including the 46RE which was used on the Dodge Dakota and probably many others. It was a long adventure, but I basically found a deep pan with a drain that used the same gasket part #, which meant the pan should fit a 32RH. It was only $32 on Amazon, so worth a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z7NRSPU?tag=wranglerorg-20

1705456008237.png

But being that it's 2-3/4" deep (or maybe a smidge more) it may not clear the skid plate. Here's a brand new sentence: fortunately the PO used a skid plate drop when they did the lift, so I should have the necessary clearance. The Skyjacker deep pan claims to be 2-1/4" deep, although I believe on my other 97 I have more than a 1/2" gap...not by much though. I was also initially concerned about the weird shape on that one corner, but it's deep enough and not quite as pronounced IRL; it isn't going to be a factor in the least.

Next problem is that since it's deep, I need the filter extension thing. Amazon has one that claims to fit but is close to $40. So I took a flyer and searched for Dodge Dakota transmission filter extension, and found this for $21. It looks exactly LIKE the one that comes in the deep pan kits for a 32RH, but I'll have to match up the bolt holes to be sure.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SRS2QS6?tag=wranglerorg-20

1705456066095.png

For a full apples-to-apples comparison you need to consider everything, like the fact that hese kits also come with a gasket & filter. I use a LubeLocker anyway, but the filter is another $12 or so to account for. And then the 3 long skinny bolts that will probably set me back another $2 each. So all told I'm in for $72, where as the Summit part which they can't even deliver was only $60. And then the Skyjacker deep pan which is $160.

Hopefully this works like it appears to. I'm seeing Mopar part numbers in my sleep right now.

I'm interested to know the actual depth measurement of any other deep pans, specifically the outside measurement from bottom to lip.

Last edited:
As a fellow 32rh owner, how much of a concern is overheating on the 32rh? My 99 has the trans cooler, but I don't have a temp gauge or anything.

I'm running 33s and 3.73s currently.

I'm confident we here make it a bigger issue than it probably is out in the wild. It's a bigger factor under hard wheeling conditions, but maybe less so on the street. Having said that, I installed a temperature gauge & deep pan after I did my rebuild and what I saw was temps into the 220's which is about 40 degrees higher than where it probably should be sitting. Adding an aux cooler helped tremendously. But I never would have known w/o the gauge. I'd love to know what the temps were prior to my rebuild.

Reactions: GregBelleville
First and foremost, I want a drain in my transmission pan. I've been frustrated with the deep pan options, and didn't like the idea of installing my own drain plug since I have enough trouble with leaky parts as it is. I found one on Summit for $60, but it's on back order and they've already moved the date out by 2 months (attention: @hosejockey61) so I've given up on that.

I'm not in a hurry just yet so I opted to wait for the backorder. I doubt it will come through but we'll see.

I have the Skyjacker version from Summit. More expensive but it includes everything you need, has the drain and it fits above my tummy tuck. Great product if you are anxious to install one. Backorders can be frustrating but I have found that Summit usually gets them sent out eventually.

I HATE HATE HATE the very thought of dropping the transmission pan w/o first being able to drain it first, so my rule is if the pan comes down it doesn't go back up unless it has a drain. I may have said that in the initial post. So I can't wait for another month for Summit to be able to fulfill the order. I also have the Skyjacker on my other 97 and it does include everything you need.

My point with all this is that I was able to cobble together a complete solution for about half the price. My other 97 is not currently on-site so I can't yet verify if this 46RE pan will clear the skid for most TJ owners. It will definitely clear if you're using a skid plate drop.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I am in the same camp. When the pan comes off, I want a drain when it goes back on. I hope to do a fluid/filter/pan change this spring, and naturally, at the lowest cost possible.

I HATE HATE HATE the very thought of dropping the transmission pan w/o first being able to drain it first, so my rule is if the pan comes down it doesn't go back up unless it has a drain.

For others reading this on the fence about a pan with our without a drain, I use a vacuum pump to suck out the trans fluid from the dip stick.

I'm patiently waiting for my backorder summit part

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RTO-RT24001

For others reading this on the fence about a pan with our without a drain, I use a vacuum pump to suck out the trans fluid from the dip stick.

I'm patiently waiting for my backorder summit part

[URL]https://www.summitracing.com/parts/RTO-RT24001[/URL]

I bought one of those pumps to suck the fluid out. If you're wondering how well it worked, I sold it immediately and started this thread. ;)

I just purchased 1999 TJ with a 32rh transmission. Tried to install the Sky Jacker deep pan without removing the skid plate.
No way will it go. First, after installing the drop filter adapter, the pan would not go around it. Second, if it did ...I gave no access to the 4 back pan bolts.
So "on-hold" till I drop the skid plate...😫

I just purchased 1999 TJ with a 32rh transmission. Tried to install the Sky Jacker deep pan without removing the skid plate.
No way will it go. First, after installing the drop filter adapter, the pan would not go around it. Second, if it did ...I gave no access to the 4 back pan bolts.
So "on-hold" till I drop the skid plate...😫

oh yeah, I would imagine putting the deep pan on w/o removing the skid would be a challenge. Removing the OEM pan with the skid in place is harder than I'm interested in anyway.

Not sure what you're evaluating, the skyjacker will 100% clear the skid once it's all installed. What isn't clear is if my extra deep 46RE pan will clear the skid w/o using a skid drop. The TJ I'm trying it on doesn't have an SYE or adjustable arms, so the PO used a skid drop to help with driveline angle.

I've never had a problem dropping a pan full of ATF. I just position a large catch basin under it and as I'm dropping it I just give it a gentle tip in the direction of the basin so it will drain into it without creating a mess. Pans like these work well to both catch and store the old ATF.

CB1.JPG

CB2.JPG

I had no problem removing the stock pan without removing the skid plate. Did not suck the fluid out first...so the fluid made a huge mess, when the pan broke loose.
My point was...that I would have saved time and work, if I knew I had to drop the skid platr

I've never had a problem dropping a pan full of ATF. I just position a large catch basin under it and as I'm dropping it I just give it a gentle tip in the direction of the basin so it will drain into it without creating a mess. Pans like these work well to both catch and store the old ATF.

View attachment 493890

View attachment 493891

I have a big one. It still gets on the floor. And there was a season where I had to drain the fluid several times before I even started the engine. I caught 100% of it out the drain plug into a CLEAN bucket and you're damn sure right I put it right back into the transmission.

Clearly this is my quest, not yours. ;)

Got it...lol....my Quest will be to remove the skid plate...i have read..no problem, others you twist of the weld nut, now that's an whole other dimension for me...😫