Name that e-locker

Wingback73

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My new 04 Rubicon came with a G2 Axle and an e-locker that is connected to the factory electronics harness, but that causes the "rear" locker light to flash even when the key is out. The air line is plugged, so not in use. That light means the locker is engaged, but it isn't when checked physically. So something electronic needs repair.

So in my quest to troubleshoot I called G2. Apparently they don't track what lockers are installed in their axles. Super helpful.

So I dutifully took it apart, and outside of the numbers on the bearing caps it has no markings. Great.

Can any of you identify this mystery locker so I can get a manual and figure out how this thing is supposed to be connected?

Any additional help is more than welcome!

Doug

PXL_20220326_201300206.jpg

PXL_20220326_201305646.jpg

PXL_20220326_201317421.jpg

PXL_20220326_201957389.jpg

That they tried to use the OEM locker switch is my bet the rear locker light is flashing. I'd install a simple on-off switch for both lockers and ignore the OE switch. That's what I did for my TJ.

Locker-Switches.jpg

I totally agree with you. Which explains why the PO said it wasn't hooked up. He only owned it for a short time however.

Any idea on brand?

Your elocker doesn’t have the indicator switch sense that the oem has so the cluster light flashes indicating an error. If you want to keep using the factory switch but want to keep the lights solid, you can run a jumper wire from the front & rear locker indicator switch sense at the back of the cluster to the front & rear locker request at back of the switch.

Or do as Jerry suggests which is probably easier.

Reactions: AndyA
Thank you. That was my assumption based on what I could find although they all look similar.

The manual for a different Eaton I found indicated it required an 8(!) amp circuit.

Does that seem right to you all?

Or do you have any ideas how I could determine the specific Eaton model so I can get a manual?

Doug

Thank you. That was my assumption based on what I could find although they all look similar.

The manual for a different Eaton I found indicated it required an 8(!) amp circuit.

Does that seem right to you all?

Or do you have any ideas how I could determine the specific Eaton model so I can get a manual?

Doug

Sounds like they may have wired the locker into the wiring for the pump for the factory air locker. Follow the above recommendations to eliminate that pesky light.

Your elocker doesn’t have the indicator switch sense that the oem has so the cluster light flashes indicating an error. If you want to keep using the factory switch but want to keep the lights solid, you can run a jumper wire from the front & rear locker indicator switch sense at the back of the cluster to the front & rear locker request at back of the switch.

Or do as Jerry suggests which is probably easier.

Looking at installing an Eaton E-locker. I don't have a Rubicon so no factory switch. I guess I need to get a toggle switch for the locker such as this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332255580695

which as I understand it works a bit differently to the Rubicon switch (press to turn on, press again to turn off).

Although the switch has a light on it I would like the instrument cluster to indicate the locker is activated, but there is no sensor on the Eaton, so it seems @LJGreg 's suggestion to run a wire from the cluster to the switch is the way to go. The switch has three wires, black for ground and then red and white.

Is there any more info on this? Here is the wiring diagram from the FSM. How would I combine the read and white swtich wires into this diagram?

Screenshot 2024-02-04 163213.png

Thanks, Andy

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.