Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Today was the day of the big cut - and I have to admit to being just a bit nervous. There is certainly the possibility of screwing up the axle. But here goes...

First up, I needed to set up the saw with the correct 6 degree angle for the cut. To make sure it was correct, I initially set the saw to 6 degrees, and then made a test cut with a regular saw blade.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (1).JPG

After two test cuts, I dialed the angle in perfectly. Doing it this way ensured the setup was correct before committing to the cast steel.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (3).JPG

Happy with the setup, I installed the abrasive blade and set up the jig. One additional thing I had to do to the jig was to cut out two holes to clear the plug welds on the face of the case, since they stood a bit proud.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (10).JPG

And then, finally, after all of that prep - I waxed up the jig and saw with wax paper (one of my woodworker's tricks), and made the first cut.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (11).JPG

With no turning back now, it was off to the races. I completed this part of the cut in 7 or 8 passes. I previously confirmed that the saw would maintain the cut position relative to the guide when the depth of cut is changed while cutting at an angle. Worked like a charm.

Here is a video of me making the cut.

(708) Shaving the 14 Bolt - YouTube

With the cut established and true, it was an easy task to finish up the balance of the cut with the sawzaw. The majority of the sawzaw cut was through the fins.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (22).JPG

And just like that, a shaved 14 bolt. Start to finish, I think it took about 20 minutes to complete the cut. Much quicker than the couple hours of planning and prep work - but that effort did pay off in spades.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (23).JPG

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (29).JPG

After a little cosmetic grinding to clean up the case a bit, I bolted the cover and bottom plate back on. It fit like a charm, as the cut came out perfectly.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (31).JPG

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (33).JPG

At the end of the day, I'm very happy with how it came out.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 10 (36).JPG

Next step: Learn how to weld cast steel....

I've also worked out everything I need for the brakes, both front and rear. I've ordered all new parts, including new backing plates for the rear.

In the rear, I'm sticking with the 1 ton Chevy 13" rotors with dual 2.00" piston calipers, and the associated brake-in-hat parking brake setup.

In the front, after talking with Dynatrac I'm going to run the 1 ton setup from a '97 Ford F-350. 13" rotors as well, with dual 2.30" piston calipers. These will bolt right up to the front knuckle on the ProRock. I do have to replace the hub with the 8 on 6.5 version - which was rather pricey - but everything should bolt up. The current Dynalock locking hub should also work with the new hub.

Both the 97 F-350 and the 2003 2500 HD (the donor for the 14 Bolt) run the same front and rear rotor and caliper specs as I'm going with here, so I think the front to rear balance should work. I'm currently running a 3/4" Ton Chevy master cylinder on a hydroboost setup. I'll evaluate whether or not I need to do something there after it is up and running. Worst case I may have a slightly soft pedal, but a soft pedal in the case would mean more pressure at the calipers. We shall see.

Yesterday I pulled out the welder to attached the new cap. I bolted the cover and cap in place, making sure the alignment was good, and threw down a few heavy tacks.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 12 (8).JPG

Next, I heated the case and base plate to 400+ degrees and laid down some quite nasty welds. I don't have an alignment rod, or a great way to fixture the axle, so I tried to move around a bit with the heat. Hard to do that on such a small space welding 1/2" plate to a gigantic hunk of cast steel.

Here is the result - I'm not happy at all with how it came out. I think I was a bit too hot on the setting. Started out OK on the right hand side, but went south after that. Good penetration, but ugly fat welds none the less. Definitely not my best work.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 12 (8).JPG

Then I rolled it over and heated it up again with the torch, and welded the inside.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 12 (18).JPG

After finishing up the welding, I spent some time doing some post heating, wrapped it up in a welding blanket and a couple of moving blankets, and set it aside for the night to cool down slowly.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 12 (24).JPG

After finishing up the welding last night I was catching up on a buddy's build thread over on JF (Chris's - 92VegasYJ). He was talking about how his axle is bent and was working on getting it straightened out - and I freaked. Did I throw enough heat at the 14b to bend it? I realized that I should have checked the axle for straightness prior to all the work - but I did not. So, better now than never.

To check his, Chris used a set of 3D printed pucks he got from a guy on youtube who posted a video on how to straighten a '60. After seeing that, I came up with a way to build a set of pucks myself.

First up, I made two end pieces which would fit snug around the spindles, with a hole for a string dead center.

Jeep - 14 Bolt 12 (51).JPG
Jeep - 14 Bolt 12 (49).JPG

Then I used one of the bearing races as a template to cut the center puck, marked it for center, and cut a small slot for the string to pass through. Here it is all set up:

Jeep - 14 Bolt 12 (55).JPG

Now I know I'm a GOOBER welder so my opinion means shit but IMO that looks great. Better than I could have done.

To get a measurement, rotate the disk so that the string is centered in the slot - and that line points toward the bend. And sure enough - it's out. 70 thou by my measurement. About 1/16".

Jeep - 14 Bolt 12 (56).JPG

But - it's bent in the opposite direction I would have expected from heating the case. If excess heat had caused the case to contact on the side of the new cap, it should have pulled the tubes toward that side of the case. The bend goes in the opposite direction. So maybe this was there all along? I really wish I had checked before cutting into the case.

So help me out - what is close enough? I've heard these axles don't come out of the factory dead straight, but I don't know how much would be acceptable. Should I be straightening this thing?

Reactions: DrDmoney
After finishing up the welding last night I was catching up on a buddy's build thread over on JF (Chris's - 92VegasYJ). He was talking about how his axle is bent and was working on getting it straightened out - and I freaked. Did I throw enough heat at the 14b to bend it? I realized that I should have checked the axle for straightness prior to all the work - but I did not. So, better now than never.

To check his, Chris used a set of 3D printed pucks he got from a guy on youtube who posted a video on how to straighten a '60. After seeing that, I came up with a way to build a set of pucks myself.

First up, I made two end pieces which would fit snug around the spindles, with a hole for a string dead center.

Then I used one of the bearing races as a template to cut the center puck, marked it for center, and cut a small slot for the string to pass through. Here it is all set up:

So what's the word? Is it straight?

Edit: Beat me to it....