Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Well, %^$*#!

IMG_9954.JPG

I must have damaged the inner seal during the ball joint swap. I guess I know what my next Jeep project is... 🤬

Also today that monster shelving and cabinet unit I built for my son and his wife is leaving the shop and heading over for install. It will be nice to have the shop back.

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

After the install I plan to do some hand carving on the drawer fronts to dress it up and personalize it a bit. I like to do this when I build furniture to make it unique. Haven't decided what I'm carving yet - perhaps a Jeep...;)

IMG_0023.JPG

Jumped in the Jeep the other day and the wipers were not working. Check all the fuses, and all good. The washer / sprayer still works, which is also on the same circuit, so it pointed to the right-side multi-function switch, or the motor. After a little testing, it did appear the motor is dead - so out it came.

IMG_0115.JPG

I tested it again out on the bench using my Power Probe, and nothing. Easier than dealing with swapping the multi-function switch, I guess.

IMG_0114.JPG

So I ordered a new motor - should be here today.

To coin a cool fraise from @starkey480 , I did a little Tow-Piggin' today. 🙂

While waiting for the new wiper motor, I threw the rig on the trailer to test it out behind the new tow pig. I worked on getting the weight distributing hitch properly set up, and I wanted to see how the new rig handled the load.

IMG_0117.JPG

My previous big Ford (shown quietly crying in the background of this pic...) did a great job handling the load. Very well, actually.

But this thing is better in every way. Markedly better. Much more power - nearly 1100 foot pounds compared to the previous 800. The 10 speed tranny is a dream compared to the 6, and the braking is also better. Engine braking and tow mode are also much better, not to mention sway control and the other tow features.

Camera's all over the thing, compared to just the backup camera on the old truck.

And hey, this view is pretty cool too.

IMG_0128.JPG

All in all, this thing is a beast. Can't wait to see how it handles Vail Pass in June.

I was hoping to see you rebuild it. Maybe a side project to keep your mind off that little drip?

I'm thinking that my little drip was a holdover from when I replaced the ball joints. I dumped a bunch of gear oil when I pulled the passenger side shaft, and I'm hoping that drip was just some leftover in the axle tube. I've been driving it a bit since, and no more drips. I'm hoping it stays that way.

To coin a cool fraise from @starkey480 , I did a little Tow-Piggin' today. 🙂

While waiting for the new wiper motor, I threw the rig on the trailer to test it out behind the new tow pig. I worked on getting the weight distributing hitch properly set up, and I wanted to see how the new rig handled the load.

View attachment 523341

My previous big Ford (shown quietly crying in the background of this pic...) did a great job handling the load. Very well, actually.

But this thing is better in every way. Markedly better. Much more power - nearly 1100 foot pounds compared to the previous 800. The 10 speed tranny is a dream compared to the 6, and the braking is also better. Engine braking and tow mode are also much better, not to mention sway control and the other tow features.

Camera's all over the thing, compared to just the backup camera on the old truck.

And hey, this view is pretty cool too.

View attachment 523343

All in all, this thing is a beast. Can't wait to see how it handles Vail Pass in June.

You're going to love how easy it is driving cross country with the other features such as adaptive cruise. It really shines on those long trips.

You're going to love how easy it is driving cross country with the other features such as adaptive cruise. It really shines on those long trips.

Adaptive cruise seems like such a small thing, but its HUGE when you're on a long drive. I only have it in my wife's SUV, but its really nice. So are auto-dimming lights.

Agreed, game changer on long trips. My wife's car has both, I was a hater till I used them on a trip.

I'll also note that all adaptive cruise systems are not the same. I have had rental cars where I shut it off, it's garbage on them.

It does take some getting used to how they function though and adapting your driving style.

Agreed, game changer on long trips. My wife's car has both, I was a hater till I used them on a trip.

The only thing I don't like about it is on a really long trip, I might "lose" track of my speed due to a slower car slowing me down and me not noticing. On a 500 mile trip, that can add a bit of extra time.