Need advice on a 2005 Rubi Purchase

mgroeger

TJ Enthusiast
I'm new to the forum and ready to move on a 2005 Rubi. My wife has a new JL Sahara and we have both been bit HARD by the Jeep bug. Already off roading and building her Jeep up so now it's my turn. Can't afford two JL's so I honed in on the 2003-2006 Rubi. I'm new to the 4:10 gear ratio but familiar with the inline 6 engine.
I found one that just became available at a local dealer. Here are the specs:
2005 Rubi.
115,000 miles.
ALL stock and original except steering stabilizer and stereo.
Hard top only.
Engine and underbelly completely dry, no leaks or smells.
Tranny fluid still pink, smells fine and I believe it is original.
New Michelin tires (265/70 R16 I think).
Interior in very good shape, scratch/ding or two on the body which we will call built in character :)
Alignment is dead on.

Concerns:
When hitting the brakes it pulls left. Most likely bad left caliper. Dealer noticed this before I even mentioned it. They are looking into it.
When the locker switch is pushed up or down it does not appear to be locking the axles. The light does not come on and there is no noise coming from the underside indicating the axle locked.
** At highway speeds a weird cyclical vibration can be felt in the floor, NOT the steering wheel. It sort of comes in a wave, i.e. it starts off, then gets slightly more intense and then backs off and stops, then repeats within a few seconds. It's very odd and I have no clue what could be causing this. This is my biggest concern.
Transmission has a very slight clunk when putting it into gear sometimes and I think I may have felt it when I came to a complete stop once. Nothing very severe.
Idles fine but has that slight hiccup that the inline six seems to produce irradically.
Bouncy ride but I suspect with 13 year old shocks and springs that they are to blame and in short order a lift will be going on it.
Driver's seat sits low, would ultimately raise this by bolting some blocks between it and the floor.

I was shocked to find at 75 mph it was just above 2k RPMs, my 2005 Highlander is worse than that at close to 3k RPMs. But I noticed it would not go above 75 without a major push on the throttle and going down a slight grade. 75mph seems to be it's max highway speed.
Mashing the pedal to the floor does not produce the dropping two gears, spiking the RPM quick throttle response I am used to. I suspect this is the 4:10 gear ratio doing what they do.
I understand this is a 15 year old Jeep and that it's a... well... Jeep. I'm not looking for polish and finish. I'm looking for a solid starting point to build. I went for the Rubi because it has the locking diffs and I plan on offroading a couple of times a month. I'm not opposed to a Sahara but then I get the Dana 35's which aren't as robust as the Dana 44's BUT I suspect are better daily drivers for the highway. I've seen some Saharas and I'm not opposed to picking up one of them.

Dealer asking 14K, I said 12K and I think with my trade we can work it out to be 12K. I would be EXTREMELY grateful for any advice or words of wisdom!

When you tested the lockers, we're you in 4low? They will not engage otherwise from the factory. I'll let others chime in on the vibration and auto transmission concerns. With your budget, don't settle for a non-rubicon if this one doesn't work out. Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The brakes pulling left should be a minor fix.

Does the 4X4 light come on when you put the TC in 4 Hi (rolling at any speed)?

When you put the TC in 4 Lo (basically stopped and NOT on pavement) and push the locker switch down once, does the Rear Lock light start to flash? You may need to make some small 'S' turns to get the locker to line up so the light can go solid. Push it down again for the front locker and it should work the same as the rear ... flash then lock after some small 'S' turns.

Last edited:
as far as the Sahara and the Dana 35, not all of them have it, some have the Dana 44 as do some sport models. The big difference is the Rubicon will have 4.11 gears where the best the others will have are 3.73.

** At highway speeds a weird cyclical vibration can be felt in the floor, NOT the steering wheel. It sort of comes in a wave, i.e. it starts off, then gets slightly more intense and then backs off and stops, then repeats within a few seconds. It's very odd and I have no clue what could be causing this.

Sounds like a ujoint on its way out. I had the same exact feel and a few days later I dropped the driveshaft and needle bearings went everywhere. Stick with Spicer Ujoints if you end up buying.

Transmission has a very slight clunk when putting it into gear sometimes and I think I may have felt it when I came to a complete stop once. Nothing very severe.

Could be a bad control arm bushing that is allowing the control arm to move. Or could be a bad transmission mount. I wouldn't let it deter you at all.

Idles fine but has that slight hiccup that the inline six seems to produce irradically.
Bouncy ride but I suspect with 13 year old shocks and springs that they are to blame and in short order a lift will be going on it.
Driver's seat sits low, would ultimately raise this by bolting some blocks between it and the floor.

A good tuneup never hurts. It could be on original plugs/wires. Dealers and tire shops tend to over inflate new tires. When you have 40 psi in them its going to ride like a tank.

I was shocked to find at 75 mph it was just above 2k RPMs, my 2005 Highlander is worse than that at close to 3k RPMs. But I noticed it would not go above 75 without a major push on the throttle and going down a slight grade. 75mph seems to be it's max highway speed.
Mashing the pedal to the floor does not produce the dropping two gears, spiking the RPM quick throttle response I am used to. I suspect this is the 4:10 gear ratio doing what they do.

Dont be afraid to let it run at 3k all day. Hard top, rear seat? Not being able to go 75 is interesting, especially with stock size tires. I have 4.56 gears and I can easily hit 80 mph.

I understand this is a 15 year old Jeep and that it's a... well... Jeep.

Get out of that mindset--Jeeps when properly built and maintained can act and handle very well on the streets and hwys. Sounds like this one needs a little TLC and proper inflation and new shocks.

Reactions: techster82
Thanks for the info guys. To answer your questions:

When driving, let off gas, pull into 4H - no problem. Light on dash shows 4WD
With transmission in N and slightly rolling forward (like 2mph) pull TC into 4LO - no problem. Light on dash still says 4WD.
With trans in neutral, TC in 4LO, sitting still, push locker button... nothing. Button does not light up and nothing shows on dash.
We tried multiple combinations to get lockers to engage and none worked. My guess is the lockers have never been used or used so infrequently that maybe the solenoids are dead or stuck? I assume these are not air lockers but rather electric ones.

Thanks! I thought the 75mph was odd. I was pushing it and 75mph seemed to be it. I believe I only hit 80mph because I was on a slight decline and was really on it. Yes, it does have a hard top and rear seat as well as the spare hanging off the rear.
Not looking for something to wrench on right now. I need it to be a get in and go daily driver at highway speeds until I can get around to start wrenching on it. Too many things on my plate right now. One of which is getting the bumper, winch and Rubi suspension (already have a 2" budget lift) on the Mrs. JL.

The tranny info is great to know for the ongoing quest.

Well this is just great... now I have TWO Jeep forums I need to troll daily... LOL.

You might want to check to see if it actually has the Dana 44's front and rear. Some people will remove the Rubi axles and put non Rubi ones in their place so they can either keep them or sell them.

The lockers are air. If you look at the back of the skid plate on the drivers side, you should see two small compressors.

Well now I have honed in on a 2004 Columbia addition. Current owner is an older gentleman who has had it 3 years and put 5k on it. One of many Jeeps he has owned, the 163,000 miles were predominantly before him. 4" lift, 33" brand new Falken Wildpeak M/T tires, automatic, hard, soft, bikini tops and cover. New stereo and COLD a/c, meaty front bumper (maybe a Barricade) brand new, unused Wern winch. Smittybilt side steps. He's not certain on the rear but I think the Columbia came with the Dana35 3.73 rear??
Clean interior and the previous owner laid it a little in a ditch and dented the front fender and hood so the hood and fender were replaced and the entire Jeep was repainted gloss black and it looks like it is in great shiny shape.

I've been hung up on the Dana44 rear but I am hearing the Dana35 is still very capable as long as you aren't stupid with it. I do plan on offroading this with trails and some rock crawling.