Need New TJ Keys

04TJSport4.0LV6

Lost the only key I had to my 04 Tj, so had it towed to a dealership for new Jeep keys. Confirmed the dealership had plenty of Jeep branded keys. Then it turned out the dealership only had key blanks available, so programmed two of them, and order Jeep branded key. Guess parts made a mistake.

The Jeep branded key arrived and dealer is telling me they will not program. They said they made sure to deactivate any past key, but the Jeep branded keys still will not program. I ended up leaving the Jeep there as they ask to run a diagnosis.

Has anyone ever had a situation like this and if so, anything that fixes the situation? I prefer to have Jeep branded/labeled keys as I take pride in keeping everything Jeep/Mopar as best as possible.

Reactions: Gaspaszr
Give them some time, there may be something wrong with another component. A dealer should be able to program new keys for you without any issue. The coded keys can be a challenge but they should be able to get it worked out.

A dealer should indeed be able to program new keys without issue. Hell, even a competent and knowledgable locksmith should be able to do the same I believe.

I know for a fact that @mrblaine can get keys programmed for you without issue. My understanding is that he has a guy who does this for him and has the knowledge and tools to do it.

Thanks. Will definitely give them time. Only other option would be to have it towed to another dealership, which the mgr at the current dealership said they might run into the same issue, which is true. Just odd they did get two non Jeep keys (blanks) programmed, but actual Jeep keys are failing.

They just seem lost on this, and giving them the benefit of the doubt here. They at first handed over the other keys like it was no issue, until I said these are not the correct ones. Anyways, guess see what this week brings.

They may have cloned the aftermarket keys and are trying to program a new key with two identical cloned keys which isn't possible. Since these guys are primarily dealing with newer Jeeps it may take them time to dust off the old equipment and figure out what's going on. They'll figure it out, I hope.

Thanks. Will definitely give them time. Only other option would be to have it towed to another dealership, which the mgr at the current dealership said they might run into the same issue, which is true. Just odd they did get two non Jeep keys (blanks) programmed, but actual Jeep keys are failing.

They just seem lost on this, and giving them the benefit of the doubt here. They at first handed over the other keys like it was no issue, until I said these are not the correct ones. Anyways, guess see what this week brings.
My suspicion is they exceeded the total number of keys that can be programmed into the SKIM module. That pretty much explains why the two non Jeep branded keys work and the preferred one does not. I also suspect that the only fix since the keys can not be deleted from the SKIM (that I am aware of) is to replace the SKIM module, pair it to the PCM, then program the existing key and the 2 replacement Jeep brand keys to the new module.

They may have cloned the aftermarket keys and are trying to program a new key with two identical cloned keys which isn't possible. Since these guys are primarily dealing with newer Jeeps it may take them time to dust off the old equipment and figure out what's going on. They'll figure it out, I hope.
That doesn't happen with the DRB. You are thinking of the owner method of programming keys if you have 2 existing programmed keys. The dealer shouldn't be doing it that way. Other than that, you are correct.

That sounds a bit expensive just to get new keys
If you are the sort who doesn't give a shit about the logo on a key, doesn't give a shit about a great theft deterrent system, then you are correct. Considering you can get keys cut at a big box store for a few bucks including the key, yeah, horribly expensive. If on the other hand you have an appreciation for keeping things Mopar, then maybe not so much. Module is 140ish, keys are 40 each now, and program time and set up is about 50-100. At 380 on the top end, that isn't as much as a new car key that has the built in fob.

Reactions: Daryl and reddvltj
If you are the sort who doesn't give a shit about the logo on a key, doesn't give a shit about a great theft deterrent system, then you are correct. Considering you can get keys cut at a big box store for a few bucks including the key, yeah, horribly expensive. If on the other hand you have an appreciation for keeping things Mopar, then maybe not so much. Module is 140ish, keys are 40 each now, and program time and set up is about 50-100. At 380 on the top end, that isn't as much as a new car key that has the built in fob.
I just saw two keys for $15 online somewhere but they may have not said Jeep on them. Not sure.

Strange, I did not even consider there were clones out there. Should have known better.
Sorry, clone means they copy your current key's specific code rather than generate a new coded key. That means if you try to self program a 3rd key with the ignition, it can't do it because you essentially have one key and it takes two with unique to each codes.

Try to avoid clones.

OK. I am aware that you need help from a dealer or locksmith if you have only one SKIM key but can program your own if you have two keys. And I get what your are saying about cloning a single key. Would you recommend the keys I posted a link to or spend more on a Jeep key? I want to have more than one key of course and with the above being true I would actually want three keys to avoid the help needed in the future. I have NEVER lost a car key but......

OK. I am aware that you need help from a dealer or locksmith if you have only one SKIM key but can program your own if you have two keys. And I get what your are saying about cloning a single key. Would you recommend the keys I posted a link to or spend more on a Jeep key? I want to have more than one key of course and with the above being true I would actually want three keys to avoid the help needed in the future. I have NEVER lost a care key but......
We've programmed many of the non logo keys and they work fine. I have no experience with them by brand or supplier since I don't use them for my personal stuff.