Need opinions on buying this LJ Rubicon

Mitch8801

I have a buddy who owns a stock 2005 LJ Rubicon 6spd with 100,xxx Km.
He is wanting to get rid of it, and I can get it for a really good deal.
However I know he hasn’t taken good care of it, and the inline 6 has been redlined quite a bit and shifted pretty aggressively, anyway, just curious if I’m getting myself into a money pit buying a Jeep that has been redlined a ton.

Based on your location (where cars tend to rust) if your friend hasn’t taken care of it, I would guess the frame is rusted inside and out.

For the most part TJs tend to nickel and dime you a lot anyways, but if the frame is gone then figure $5k (US) to replace and $2-3k to patch. And who know how much rust repair is needed on the tub. Easily $3-5k if the pans and rear tub needs work. Then there’s all the stuff you should do such as oil, diffs, cooling system overhaul etc. and you would be into it for $10k just to get it back to where it should be.

Your question was if it is likely a money pit. Best guess with what you have given is “definitely”

if you can get it for that good of a deal just throw a used or reman'd engine in it when the time comes

I don't think a redlined past is as bad as an engine with a hole already in the side or major clunking sounds.

Rust will probably be the death of most TJs. Start out looking where the skid plate touches the frame. The more flaky stuff between them the worse it is. Pictures of this area, and other parts of the frame, will help us help you.

A redline is there for a reason.

Rust is what you should be concerned about IMHO.

Based on your location (where cars tend to rust) if your friend hasn’t taken care of it, I would guess the frame is rusted inside and out.

For the most part TJs tend to nickel and dime you a lot anyways, but if the frame is gone then figure $5k (US) to replace and $2-3k to patch. And who know how much rust repair is needed on the tub. Easily $3-5k if the pans and rear tub needs work. Then there’s all the stuff you should do such as oil, diffs, cooling system overhaul etc. and you would be into it for $10k just to get it back to where it should be.

Your question was if it is likely a money pit. Best guess with what you have given is “definitely”
Appreciate it, it’s actually super clean, basically no rust, and looks brand new, just the motor is the only thing I’m worried about

I don't think a redlined past is as bad as an engine with a hole already in the side or major clunking sounds.

Rust will probably be the death of most TJs. Start out looking where the skid plate touches the frame. The more flaky stuff between them the worse it is. Pictures of this area, and other parts of the frame, will help us help you.
I have my own TJ already which has a pretty solid frame, few surface rust spots but nothing of concern at all. The LJR has basically no rust

The Jeep has basically zero rust, I was just wondering how bad redlining and aggressive shifting is on a motor
3CEECB50-A1E4-44BD-8EA3-48F1557C1AA7.jpeg

8195D799-5665-44C8-8BBC-896035BEA01C.jpeg

Gotcha, basically no rust on it at all. Just concerned about the engine. Like sitting on the redline for a solid while to do donuts and stuff lol.

Well, do the smart thing and check the compression before you buy it ;)

Well if no rust as I suspected. Then as long as the engine is running reasonably smooth, has plenty of oil pressure...then the engines in these things are fairly bulletproof and not super expensive if they go south. Which is rare. Reman engines can be had well south of $2k and not that hard to change out yourself with a buddy and a hoist.

If your friend wasn’t so good about preventative maintenance then you would want to take care of that if you bought it. Good thing about these TJs is when something goes wrong (always something wanting attention on them), they are easy to work on. Especially with places like this forum.

Good luck

I am not worried about the engine so much, I would be worried about the transmission, the NSG is a POS in 05. If the frame is good and you have some money to play with, they are a fun project. I like the LJ better than the TJ for the extra room. The TJ is lighter and peppier. Good luck. Tim

My knee jerk reaction is buy it if it’s crazy cheap , not if average . Very sellable machine.

The lj rubicon is hard to find that color isn’t common either, I drive it do a compression check see how low he goes and make your decisions and let us know.

Engines are dime a dozen. That six cylinder is known for taking a good deal of punishment and begging for more. The reported mileage is quite low. The engine is designed to run from zero rpm to redline. As for the tranny, plan to replace or rebuild it and you may be pleasantly surprised if you don't have to. Looks like a nice Jeep. BTW, you know he thrashed it. The dirty little secret is, most of the Jeeps for sale have been thrashed.