Need opinions on sliders with a step

I would be more curious to know Arb's thought process behind it as there are multiple ways to think about things, for anything. There must be a reason they chose that design, and I was just curious if you researched it. I like to hear things from the horses mouth if you know what I mean, unfortunately for me I over-analyze anything and everything.
There are generally multiple ways to think about and do things. Rarely are there multiple ways that are correct.

Reactions: psrivats
My sliders are welded to the frame , is that good ,bad , common?

Any designer that ties into the body mount using a mount with a hole in it that sits on top of the OEM body mount does not in fact know what they are doing.

I get the physics behind the idea if a closed circular hole is used, but what if the hole was an open-ended hole, like the KD Fabworks design, where the body mount itself is squished over the slider, and if the slider was ever yanked it should pull out easily. Does that design alleviate the issue or not really?

I get the physics behind the idea if a closed circular hole is used, but what if the hole was an open-ended hole, like the KD Fabworks design, where the body mount itself is squished over the slider, and if the slider was ever yanked it should pull out easily. Does that design alleviate the issue or not really?
Let me clarify since you didn't seem to understand it the first time. Any designer that uses any aspect of the OEM body mounting system on a TJ to affix or support by any method, any metal appliance in the form of a rock rail that is intended to be used as such is a fucking moron. Do you need more clarification?

Go study the torque box. Spend some time analyzing it, over analyze it some, then study it some more. Certain things should become obvious after awhile.
1- there are only 3 points to mount a rail
2- the mount holes are not on flat surfaces, some are dimpled upwards.
3- the total combined torque of the 3 bolts is not enough to stabilize a rock rail that is used.
4- sheet metal is not a great material for large fasteners. It requires lots of small fasteners.
5- What the hell were you thinking?

I
Let me clarify since you didn't seem to understand it the first time. Any designer that uses any aspect of the OEM body mounting system on a TJ to affix or support by any method, any metal appliance in the form of a rock rail that is intended to be used as such is a fucking moron. Do you need more clarification?

Go study the torque box. Spend some time analyzing it, over analyze it some, then study it some more. Certain things should become obvious after awhile.
1- there are only 3 points to mount a rail
2- the mount holes are not on flat surfaces, some are dimpled upwards.
3- the total combined torque of the 3 bolts is not enough to stabilize a rock rail that is used.
4- sheet metal is not a great material for large fasteners. It requires lots of small fasteners.
5- What the hell were you thinking?

I'm starting to see what you are saying and I know that companies hire morons who hire dumbasses, or in this case a moron designer who other companies followed a poor design.

You have to understand not all of us are experienced with stuff hence why we ask other forum members so we can figure it out. I do apologize for bothering you even though my question was directed at another forum member to see if he knew the reason why Arb tied their sliders into the body mount, but from you response they must have hired a moron and just did it.

Are you going to change it? Has it negatively impacted anything you use the rig for?
Hadn’t thought about changing them, and no , it hasn’t created any issues I can think of, I just wondered if that was a common way to mount them.

I

I'm starting to see what you are saying and I know that companies hire morons who hire dumbasses, or in this case a moron designer who other companies followed a poor design.

You have to understand not all of us are experienced with stuff hence why we ask other forum members so we can figure it out. I do apologize for bothering you even though my question was directed at another forum member to see if he knew the reason why Arb tied their sliders into the body mount, but from you response they must have hired a moron and just did it.

My apologies, I assumed you read the rock rail thread when it was presented. You may often see me say or point to the fact that knowledge does not equal understanding. It is easy to see another company use the body mounts for rock rails and then make the assumption that is a good way to do things if you are just a designer and not a user first, installer, maintainer, and then a designer. Comparatively, it is the equivalent of an architect drawing up plans for stuff without ever swinging a hammer or cutting a board. Fortunately there is enough knowledge and understanding for architects to draw upon that they can mostly stay out of trouble. We don't have that in the offroad world, we have to learn stuff the hard way by using, fixing, doing, and then solving the problems that we have seen with the various designs over the years and why they do or don't work.

When a designer without offroad experience designs something and he is influenced by other designs, he will repeat the same mistake. If enough repeat that mistake, then those who don't understand (end user) will assume that the design is okay since so many do it that way.

A great example of that inverted T steering. It sucks, there is almost no way to make it not suck, and yet, it is common and oft touted as a great steering set up. What they should say is we can't do it any other way for a cheap steering set up and you the customer don't know any better anyway so buy our stuff.

Reactions: skrelnik
I would like to preface my upcoming question with this is just mere curiosity and I am not challenging anyone's opinion in any way.

You say to avoid tying into the body mounts, but a couple manufacturer's like Arb has their sliders tie into the body mounts, and we can safely assume that Arb knows what they are doing. Have you reached out to them for their opinions on why they do this and asked them why since it appears more logical to not tie into the body mounts?
Are you sure about the ARB sliders? I was originally planning to get these due to how they mount with a reinforcement bracket. There are no body mount tie ins. Only rivets from below into the tub.

Reactions: fuse
My apologies, I assumed you read the rock rail thread when it was presented. You may often see me say or point to the fact that knowledge does not equal understanding. It is easy to see another company use the body mounts for rock rails and then make the assumption that is a good way to do things if you are just a designer and not a user first, installer, maintainer, and then a designer. Comparatively, it is the equivalent of an architect drawing up plans for stuff without ever swinging a hammer or cutting a board. Fortunately there is enough knowledge and understanding for architects to draw upon that they can mostly stay out of trouble. We don't have that in the offroad world, we have to learn stuff the hard way by using, fixing, doing, and then solving the problems that we have seen with the various designs over the years and why they do or don't work.

When a designer without offroad experience designs something and he is influenced by other designs, he will repeat the same mistake. If enough repeat that mistake, then those who don't understand (end user) will assume that the design is okay since so many do it that way.

A great example of that inverted T steering. It sucks, there is almost no way to make it not suck, and yet, it is common and oft touted as a great steering set up. What they should say is we can't do it any other way for a cheap steering set up and you the customer don't know any better anyway so buy our stuff.

Thanks...I only partially read the thread as it was 10 pages long but I will revisit to see what I missed.

I totally get what you mean about the designers having no real world experience, and for me in my field, I get pissed when a lawyer structures an entity without understanding the operational and tax effeciencies and inefficiencies between a partnership and limited liability company, or Cayman Islands vs British Virgin Islands.

Are you sure about the ARB sliders? I was originally planning to get these due to how they mount with a reinforcement bracket. There are no body mount tie ins. Only rivets from below into the tub.

I do not have first hand knowledge and pulled the information from the rocker guard thread.

ARB ($466-492)

Model: Short Wheelbase TJ’s only
Warranty: Two years materials and workmanship
Manufacturing: Tough, 1.25 diamter schedule 40 tubular steel
Step: Yes (@30* upward from tub) or no
Mounting: Side of tub. Underneath ties into body mounts giving about 7 inches of protection underneath.
Finish: Powder Coat Black
Weight: 63.5 lbs for the pair

ARB has a long-standing reputation in the Jeeping community for making great products. This slider is no exception, but a tie in to the body mounts makes them more form over function.

ARB has a long-standing reputation in the Jeeping community for making great products. This slider is no exception, but a tie in to the body mounts makes them more form over function.

Based on what we have learned, it seems the ARB slider is at least one exception. ;)

Have you looked into a grab handle? I'm not short but IMO the step isn't really that useful beside to stand on while washing the roof.

My wife is also vertically challenged. We got her grabars (inpink) for her jeep. They do make getting into the Jeep easier.

Grab Bar

Reactions: Alex01
2 part question...
1) So the Rubicon slider should be replaced? It ties into my mounts.
2) Before getting yelled at..I tried to read the rockslider thread, but the text is either invisible or the same color as the background. I tried loading it 3 times incase it was just an internet glitch. How can I make it readable to me?

Reactions: skrelnik
I tried to read the rockslider thread, but the text is either invisible or the same color as the background. I tried loading it 3 times incase it was just an internet glitch. How can I make it readable to me?
I actually had the same problem yesterday. The thread used to be readable, so it looks like some sort of glitch. Maybe @Chris can take a look.

I'm wondering if the information about the ARB slider in that thread is correct. :unsure:

2 part question...
2) Before getting yelled at..I tried to read the rockslider thread, but the text is either invisible or the same color as the background. I tried loading it 3 times incase it was just an internet glitch. How can I make it readable to me?

Same here, maybe @Chris knows what up with @JMT 's thread.

I actually had the same problem yesterday. The thread used to be readable, so it looks like some sort of glitch. Maybe @Chris can take a look.

I'm wondering if the information about the ARB slider in that thread is correct. :unsure:
It looks invisible to me as well. A work around until chris or jmt can fix it is if you highlight it it becomes readable.

2 part question...
Are you talking about the OEM Rubicon diamond plate lower tub edge guard put there from the factory?

I have the rock hard sliders and don't really care for the step (I'm fairly tall). But I have watched a lot of family climb in and out of the jeep (often in the least graceful of manners) and they practically always use the step in conjunction with some sort of handle, usually the windshield bars.

I do find the bars useful when washing the roof and windshield though. ;)

Reactions: JMT and Alex01