Need opinions on sliders with a step

Are you sure about the ARB sliders? I was originally planning to get these due to how they mount with a reinforcement bracket. There are no body mount tie ins. Only rivets from below into the tub.
I'm still wondering about this question. It looks to me like @primetime4 is right. The ARB slider attaches to the side of the tub with bolts and a backing plate, and attaches to the bottom of the tub with pop rivets. It doesn't seem to have any tie-ins to the body mounts at all.

This install video seemed like a pretty clear illustration of the attachment points:

@JMT, if the ARB slider didn't attach to the body mounts, would that change your opinion of it?

This install video seemed like a pretty clear illustration of the attachment points:

@JMT, if the ARB slider didn't attach to the body mounts, would that change your opinion of it?
You can thank @Daz7 for that excellent video... And ask him his option about the slider.

Reactions: Starrs and fuse
Even the poison spyder sliders use the body mount. And when I talked to them they seemed shocked someone would use a body lift on a TJ. People have had to cut their body lift down to allow for the slider to fit and the body to sit level side to side and front to rear, that's just crazy.

Reactions: JMT
I’ll watch later. I’m at SeaWorld.

If they mount differently that will change some aspects of my opinion. I still don’t like 90* angle, that decreases surface area and digs into rocks.

At any rate, I do want to be fair

Lots of rock sliders never see the rocks. They may look functional, but there are a number of features that make them functional. Why I divided the sliders into two groups, functional and form, granted, there is something of a continuum.

Last edited:
I’ll watch later. I’m at SeaWorld.

If they mount differently that will change some aspects of my opinion. I still don’t like 90* angle, that decreases surface area and digs into rocks.

At any rate, I do want to be fair
WTF are you doing at Sea World. Get back to packing.

• Haha
Reactions: MaloStapalo
Even the poison spyder sliders use the body mount. And when I talked to them they seemed shocked someone would use a body lift on a TJ. People have had to cut their body lift down to allow for the slider to fit and the body to sit level side to side and front to rear, that's just crazy.
Doesn't matter if it is a body lift or the stock mounts, something still has to be cut and they are the worst offenders at failing prematurely.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Lots of rock sliders never see the rocks. They may look functional, but there are a number of features that make them functional. Why I divided the sliders into two groups, functional and form, granted, there is a continuum.
If you aren't going to use them as intended, there are several I've seen that have flat plates that sit on top of the OEM body mount bracket on the frame. You remove the body mount bolts, lift the tub up, slip the flat plates with the hole in the in place, set the body mount back in place, put the bolts back in, tighten them down and you're golden.

You can step on them and hoist your ass in the rig if you weigh about a 100 lbs. Any more than that and they flex down a fair bit.

I'm still wondering about this question. It looks to me like @primetime4 is right. The ARB slider attaches to the side of the tub with bolts and a backing plate, and attaches to the bottom of the tub with pop rivets. It doesn't seem to have any tie-ins to the body mounts at all.

I’ll revisit my original post and make changes to reflect accurately the ARB slider. Thanks for catching this.

Reactions: fuse
Yes. Although it seems like more decoration than protection.
Factory Rubicon sliders do not use the body mounts. Jeep knew better.

I've dragged mine often enough. They aren't great, but they are better than nothing. I wouldn't want to land on them.

Factory Rubicon sliders do not use the body mounts. Jeep knew better.

I've dragged mine often enough. They aren't great, but they are better than nothing. I wouldn't want to land on them.
Just went and double checked them out. I think they may not be stock. The ends are cut straight in and down. Not angled to fit to the flares correctly. I just assumed they were stock because almost everything else is stock on it.

Just went and double checked them out. I think they may not be stock. The ends are cut straight in and down. Not angled to fit to the flares correctly. I just assumed they were stock because almost everything else is stock on it.

Are they diamond plate with a rubber backer?

I’ll revisit my original post and make changes to reflect accurately the ARB slider. Thanks for catching this.
Thanks! The page you put together on sliders is the definitive reference that a lot of people look to. I've learned a lot from it, and it's certainly influenced my upgrade wish list. I know I really appreciate the time and effort that went in to collecting all that information and writing it up!

FWIW, I reached out to ARB tech support with this question. The answers I got back were not totally definitive. But, that may be me mis-interpreting their words. Here is the back and forth:

Me: I have a 1997 TJ with a 1” body lift. Are your rock sliders compatible with that body lift? I’ve heard they are not. Thanks.
ARB: The rock sliders are compatible. I've attached fitting instructions for your review.
Me: Hmmm. I was under the impression that these sliders connect into the body mounts in some way. Is that not the case? Do you have any pictures available about how it looks installed on a TJ with a body lift?
ARB:
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures. The sliders slide onto/underneath the body mount then bolt right up.

The "slide onto/underneath" is what was vague to me. I asked for clarification, but they didn't reply.

This said, in the attached the instructions they sent, it does not talk about body mounts anywhere...

Attachments

• ARB-4450010.pdf
    330 KB · Views: 269
FWIW, I reached out to ARB tech support with this question. The answers I got back were not totally definitive. But, that may be me mis-interpreting their words. Here is the back and forth:

Me: I have a 1997 TJ with a 1” body lift. Are your rock sliders compatible with that body lift? I’ve heard they are not. Thanks.
ARB: The rock sliders are compatible. I've attached fitting instructions for your review.
Me: Hmmm. I was under the impression that these sliders connect into the body mounts in some way. Is that not the case? Do you have any pictures available about how it looks installed on a TJ with a body lift?
ARB:
Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures. The sliders slide onto/underneath the body mount then bolt right up.

The "slide onto/underneath" is what was vague to me. I asked for clarification, but they didn't reply.

This said, in the attached the instructions they sent, it does not talk about body mounts anywhere...
As far as I can tell from the video install, they fit around the body mount but do not require removal of the body mount bolt or any trimming of the body mount or a body lift if you have one. Therefore, they do not “tie into” the body mount in any way. The original post in the guide has been updated to reflect this. The ARB tech remarks appear consistent with this. Thanks for looking into the primary source.

Reactions: jjvw and Creakydoor