New Ford Bronco

The JL has some head slapping fails that show pure sloth and laziness by the design team. I am doubly impressed by Chrysler service staff afflicted with the Curse of Babel while trying to convince you there is nothing wrong with getting soaked in a car wash, eardrum splitting wind noise and steering that wanders all over the highway.

Sure you’ll have the diehard Jeep guys that don’t want to cheat on the beloved brand....and then you’ll have the other 60-70% of the people who could give 2 shits if the bronco had IFS and will gladly jump ship for something different and better road manners. We shall see!

Are you buying a new bronco @Starrs?

I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but that Bronco doesn't do a dang thing for me. I would much rather invest the same amount of coin in a restored vintage trail rig. Maybe a Commando or nice Scout. Beyond the novelty of bringing back the Bronco name, I just don' see the appeal. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'm guessing I'm in the minority here, but that Bronco doesn't do a dang thing for me. I would much rather invest the same amount of coin in a restored vintage trail rig. Maybe a Commando or nice Scout. Beyond the novelty of bring back the Bronco name, I just don' see the appeal. 🤷‍♂️

It appeals to me. Nostalgia for one, while I’d love to have a restored and awesome EB, daily driving it would be sucky. I have a 40 mile round trip.

While I appreciate my TJ for the simple tech, it’s not fun to daily year round or five days a week. But I’m a bit spoiled with my F150, having heated and cooled seats, great stereo, I can do 90 mph without both hands on the wheel....

So a Bronco, for me, gives a bit of both. Comfortable daily, but still use it mildly. I’d do the same with a Raptor.

I won’t buy one. Not the first year.

I look at like a hellcat. I LOVE the nostalgia, throw back of the style. But the raw power, modern comforts would have me buy one over a resto-mod ‘70 Cuda, as a daily.

It appeals to me. Nostalgia for one, while I’d love to have a restored and awesome EB, daily driving it would be sucky. I have a 40 mile round trip.

While I appreciate my TJ for the simple tech, it’s not fun to daily year round or five days a week. But I’m a bit spoiled with my F150, having heated and cooled seats, great stereo, I can do 90 mph without both hands on the wheel....

So a Bronco, for me, gives a bit of both. Comfortable daily, but still use it mildly. I’d do the same with a Raptor.

I won’t buy one. Not the first year.

I look at like a hellcat. I LOVE the nostalgia, throw back of the style. But the raw power, modern comforts would have me buy one over a resto-mod ‘70 Cuda, as a daily.
While I can appreciate that, I'm actually the polar opposite. I prefer vehicles with a rougher ride and lots of road feel being transferred through the steering wheel and floor pan. Hell, I even love climbing into an ice cold vinyl interior on a frosty winter's day (sick, ain't I?), and sitting in there until things warm up. And while my diesel Dodge has a cloth interior, it has a top speed of 70 mph...downhill (no overdrive). I am more at home in that ol' rattletrap than in any vehicle I've owned in the past thirty years (I've owned it for 22 years).

The one and only thing I have against some of the older vehicles is brakes. It's kind of hit or miss. Most disc brakes, even early ones, were fine for me. But four wheel drum brakes are generally lacking. Generally. I had a 6-cylinder Rambler wagon that I put V-8 drum brakes on up front, and it stopped incredibly well, without ever having to deal with brake fade or pulling. It's brakes were bigger than what came on the original '64 Pontiac GTO! ;)

While I can appreciate that, I'm actually the polar opposite. I prefer vehicles with a rougher ride and lots of road feel being transferred through the steering wheel and floor pan. Hell, I even love climbing into an ice cold vinyl interior on a frosty winter's day (sick, ain't I?), and sitting in there until things warm up. And while my diesel Dodge has a cloth interior, it has a top speed of 70 mph...downhill (no overdrive). I am more at home in that ol' rattletrap than in any vehicle I've owned in the past thirty years (I've owned it for 22 years).

The one and only thing I have against some of the older vehicles is brakes. It's kind of hit or miss. Most disc brakes, even early ones, were fine for me. But four wheel drum brakes are generally lacking. Generally. I had a 6-cylinder Rambler wagon that I put V-8 drum brakes on up front, and it stopped incredibly well, without ever having to deal with brake fade or pulling. It's brakes were bigger than what came on the original '64 Pontiac GTO! ;)

Totally get it man!

I grew up with a mechanic dad, we had old school vehicles. I love and remember them as a kid. I wanted the ‘67 fastback. I wanted the ‘71 Bronco. The ‘71 challenger. The ‘70 Cuda. The ‘69 CJ5....I could go on.

But my dad hated to work on vehicles. He sold all that and bought Japanese as he got older and switched careers.

I kept the old stuff alive in my 20’s and 30’s.

My TJ is my throw back. It sits a lot. But my daily driver is comfortable and has remote start.

I love old school. If I didn’t have to rely on it for a daily, I might love that again. Getting down on cement hurts more and I don’t love it anymore. 🤷‍♂️😂

Totally get it man!

I grew up with a mechanic dad, we had old school vehicles. I love and remember them as a kid. I wanted the ‘67 fastback. I wanted the ‘71 Bronco. The ‘71 challenger. The ‘70 Cuda. The ‘69 CJ5....I could go on.

But my dad hated to work on vehicles. He sold all that and bought Japanese as he got older and switched careers.

I kept the old stuff alive in my 20’s and 30’s.

My TJ is my throw back. It sits a lot. But my daily driver is comfortable and has remote start.

I love old school. If I didn’t have to rely on it for a daily, I might love that again. Getting down on cement hurts more and I don’t love it anymore. 🤷‍♂️😂
I hear ya about the literal "pain" of working on cars as the years advance. I'm kinda like an old carbureted car when it comes to working on something. Hard to get started, but once I'm going, I feel like I could go all day without pause. That's when I'm really in my element. Nothing else matters. But like I said, getting started is rough. I don't look forward to the pain I'll feel the following day. Still, for any of the vehicles you listed, all I can think to say is "Hurt me, dammit!" :ROFLMAO:

Yep. I don't want *any* of the new car crap, daily driver or otherwise - with the exception of cruise control. Heck, I actually prefer driving a vehicle without power steering - the road feel is VASTLY better, although I'll admit that in a large pickup truck it can be nice, especially when it comes to backing a trailer. I don't know about manual steering in Jeeps and offroading though - outside my experience.

First time I drove a vehicle with power brakes, I almost went through the windshield! The old '63 GMC 1 ton I grew up with had four wheel non-power drums, I don't recollect having problems getting it stopped.

Here’s the dealer installed packages they are adding to the Ranger. They also have a few other accessories offered. Should be interesting to see where the Bronco offerings go.

The Ford Performance Level 1 package comes with an off-road leveling kit, Fox 2.0 Performance Series monotube shocks, 17-inch Ford Performance wheels and a windshield banner to let everyone know you spent an extra $2,495 on your truck.

The $4,495 Level 2 package bundles everything from the first stage while bumping engine output to 315 horsepower, adding a Rigid off-road fog light kit, and upgrading to BF Goodrich KO2 265/70-17 tires.

Step up to the $8,995 Level 3 kit and you get a 40-inch light bar, a Ford Performance/ARB winch, and a sport exhaust. Remember, this also includes the upgrades from the first two levels, making it the granddaddy of them all. You'd hope so for that price, especially since you'll also need to pay for installation.

Here’s the dealer installed packages they are adding to the Ranger. They also have a few other accessories offered. Should be interesting to see where the Bronco offerings go.
The thing I will say about this, is at least its something meaningful. Increases the vehicle's capabilities, and apparently doesn't add to the effete luxury crap. No microprocessors need apply! With that said, and without doing further research, it seems to be a ton of money for what you're actually getting.

The thing I will say about this, is at least its something meaningful. Increases the vehicle's capabilities, and apparently doesn't add to the effete luxury crap. No microprocessors need apply! With that said, and without doing further research, it seems to be a ton of money for what you're actually getting.
Yes it’s not cheap but it’s all under warranty, roll it into the loan.

Reactions: Rick Flair
The only time I smile on the road is on my bicycle or in my Jeep. Life therapy. The more it rides like my wife's minivan, the less I smile.

But I was raised in the country. It was 5 miles to pavement. No suspension mattered on our roads. Hang on to the wheel because it was going to be a ride.

I bet I could out drive a soccer mom in her lifted JLU or new fancy Bronco with my old front wheel drive Chevy Citation I had in high school.

We had to memorize the county before GPS.

The only time I smile on the road is on my bicycle or in my Jeep. Life therapy. The more it rides like my wife's minivan, the less I smile.

But I was raised in the country. It was 5 miles to pavement. No suspension mattered on our roads. Hang on to the wheel because it was going to be a ride.

I bet I could out drive a soccer mom in her lifted JLU or new fancy Bronco with my old front wheel drive Chevy Citation I had in high school.

We had to memorize the county before GPS.
I too was raised in the country, although pavement was a bit closer at about .8 miles. However, the dirt road got pretty rutty at times, and the part in front of our property turned into an impassible quagmire at one point. Nobody had 4WD anything, but we "usually" got through without issue.

Purchasing a new Bronco should be "in addition to" the beloved TJ. Shouldn't be a one or the other decision. Unless of course you're still paying off your 30 year auto warranty or something 🤣

They'll have to pry my TJ from my cold dead hands. But I always have room in my driveway for ridiculous impulses.

Competition is not necessarily a bad thing. It already forced FCA to upgrade the base JL. Maybe it will lead to overall quality improvements down the road. None of it matters to me anyway. On my 2nd TJ now. Never say never...but can't see myself driving anyting but a 3rd if the time ever comes.