New PCM & still crank no start

radtj

Hello all,
I am in need of assistance. Found some frame rot on my jeep and parked for a bit and was starting it every couple of weeks by the 2nd or 3rd time it just cranked and no start.

I have my 5 volt reference to the crank sensor. My ASD relay and fuel pump clicks when keyed on. I tried starting fluid into the intake while cranking and only got 1 pop out of it while cranking for 15 ish seconds.

I have changed the crank position sensor, the PCM(this was honestly a shot in the dark, I have just read so so many threads here where that ended up being people's problems) . And shortly before I parked it I did replace the coil pack with a hitachi brand pack.

I would love some insight on where I need to be checking pins and components because it's almost spring and my jeep still needs a lot of work. I appreciate any help you can lead me. Thank you

Try this and see if it changes anything. Turn the ignition switch on-off-on 12-15 times, holding it in the On position for two seconds each time it's in the On position, to let the fuel pump run until it automatically clicks off. THEN try starting it and let us know what happens.

Try this and see if it changes anything. Turn the ignition switch on-off-on 12-15 times, holding it in the On position for two seconds each time it's in the On position, to let the fuel pump run until it automatically clicks off. THEN try starting it and let us know what happens.

Just gave this a shot, and still no change. Just cranks no firing at all.

At a loss debating about finally bringing it to a shop

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Just gave this a shot, and still no change. Just cranks no firing at all.

At a loss debating about finally bringing it to a shop
It sure sounds like a fuel problem, I know you said it popped after spraying some starter fluid which makes me think it probably has spark. I'd rent/borrow a fuel pressure gauge from your local auto parts store and confirm you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Normal fuel pressure for your 06 is 58 psi.

It sure sounds like a fuel problem, I know you said it popped after spraying some starter fluid which makes me think it probably has spark. I'd rent/borrow a fuel pressure gauge from your local auto parts store and confirm you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Normal fuel pressure for your 06 is 58 psi.

Yes I ordered the parts to tap into the fuel system, because mine is an 06 and they took off the Schrader valve. We'll have to rent the fuel pressure tester next thank you for your insight I appreciate it so much

Yes I ordered the parts to tap into the fuel system, because mine is an 06 and they took off the Schrader valve. We'll have to rent the fuel pressure tester next thank you for your insight I appreciate it so much
You're welcome, good luck and a big welcome to WTF! And oh, while my previous '97 TJ had a Schrader valve my '04 doesn't have one either. Frigging cheap skates had nothing better to do than to delete that highly useful port. :)

Reactions: Chris
For future reference, can fuel rails from older TJ/XJ be swapped into the non-Schrader valve Jeeps?

For future reference, can fuel rails from older TJ/XJ be swapped into the non-Schrader valve Jeeps?
X2, the only thing that would prevent that is if they changed how the fuel line connects to the fuel rail. I wonder if that changed too.

X2, the only thing that would prevent that is if they changed how the fuel line connects to the fuel rail. I wonder if that changed too.

Mopar 5014496AA & B have been superseded by 5014496AE,
Some online sites this part fits 00-04. some sites indicate it fits 00-06 and even others indicate it fits 97-06.
This part will fit the ZJ, XJ, TJ

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Mopar 5014496AA & B have been superseded by 5014486AE,
Some online sites this part fits 00-04. some sites indicate it fits 00-06 and even others indicate it fits 97-06.
This part will fit the ZJ, XJ, TJ
That's good news, it means of course the connection between it and the fuel line wasn't changed.

You're welcome, good luck and a big welcome to WTF! And oh, while my previous '97 TJ had a Schrader valve my '04 doesn't have one either. Frigging cheap skates had nothing better to do than to delete that highly useful port. :)

Hello just wanted to update this post! I checked my fuel pressure after making adapters to tap in and have 0 fuel pressure. I previously jumped fuel pump relay and had heard fuel pump priming but now it's not turning on at all. Have 12 volts at the relay. Going to order a fuel pump next. Thank you for your help and I'll keep this thread updated. Thank you so much for existing here!

You can get the complete Bosch fuel pump from Rock Auto. I just got one and installed it. Good time to fix your fuel fill check valve even if it's not causing any issues. It's an easy install. Lube the locking ring when you install it and it taps in much easier.

You can get the complete Bosch fuel pump from Rock Auto. I just got one and installed it. Good time to fix your fuel fill check valve even if it's not causing any issues. It's an easy install. Lube the locking ring when you install it and it taps in much easier.

Yes definitely will fix the the fuel check valve as well because I am sick of having it splash on me filling it up lol and that is exactly what I ordered, whole assembly. Thank you for all your support!

Reactions: Link
Yes definitely will fix the the fuel check valve as well because I am sick of having it splash on me filling it up lol and that is exactly what I ordered, whole assembly. Thank you for all your support!

Took me about 2.5 hrs start to finish with a break in the middle.

I’d pump any gas left out of the tank once you get the pump out. Makes it so much easier to get the tank back in if it’s empty. I ran it down to well below 1/4 tank before dropping it and still pumped out roughly 4 gallons. Of course in your case, that’s not an option.

The check valve fix is extremely easy. Hardest part is lining it up by feel to snap back in (and it’s not hard).

I wanted to update this post. I changed the fuel pump and now have 35-40 psi at the rail. Jeep cranked and started to go but won't. But now have code p0627 for open fuel pump circuit but it's definitely not because I am hearing it prime and building fuel pressure. Gunna keep trying to start it tomorrow because it started raining on me.
Thank you for your help and insight