News + current events

Was tempted to put this in the two wheeler thread

Arizona girl, 18, is arrested 'after killing married park ranger dad riding his Harley while she drove brand new Chevrolet Corvette that costs up to $140,000 at 155mph'​

• Rachel Berg, 18, is charged with reckless manslaughter after allegedly plowing her Corvette supercar into Michael Clark, 46
  • She was arrested Monday over the March 12 crash after cops found she had been speeding at over 155mph
  • Clark's stricken widow Laura described him as a 'loving father and an amazing husband'
An Arizona teen is facing charges after allegedly plowing her Chevrolet Corvette supercar into a married father-of-two after speeding at over 155mph.

Eighteen-year-old Rachel Berg is accused of striking park ranger Michael Clark, 46, on March 12 as he rode his Harley Davidson motorbike along US 60 in Mesa, Arizona.

Berg was arrested Monday after the airbag computer system on her 2024 Corvette - which cost between $70,000 and $140,000 - found she had been driving at 155mph seconds slamming the brakes and careening into Clark.

She struck him at 87mph, police say, then attempted CPR - but Clark, a former Tacoma cop, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Clark's heartbroken widow Laura paid a touching tribute to the former cop after his sudden death, telling AZ Family: 'He loved being a father. He loved being a father to his kids and he was an amazing husband.'

On the night of the crash, Arizona authorities said Berg rear-ended Clark's motorcycle on the highway after reaching the breakneck speed, before slamming on the breaks to 87mph right before impact.

She reportedly told troopers at the scene that she tried to avoid the motorcycle but couldn't slow down in time.

It is unclear who bought Berg the 2024 Chevrolet Corvette supercar. Her family lives in a modest four bed, two bath, $616,000 home in Tempe.

Troopers said Clark was thrown into a concrete wall from the collision, and Berg attempted to perform CPR on him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Laura Clark said she knew something was wrong when her husband of nine years didn't return home on time.

'He should’ve been home at 10:45 and I got out of bed at 11:15 and he wasn’t, and I could hear the police helicopter. And I knew, I knew. I called him. He didn’t answer. I texted him, but he didn’t read it,' she said.

Clark had served in the Tacoma, Washington Police Department for 14 years, but had left the force in 2020 to travel with his wife in an RV they bought together.

They eventually settled in Mesa, Arizona, where Michael began working as a Tempe park ranger.

'He was a man of service. He served his country and he served the community of Tacoma. He was serving Tempe,' Laura said.

'He never met a stranger and he was so warm and welcoming. And our house was always the house for holidays. He loved to cook for people. He loved being a father. He loved being a father to his kids and he was an amazing husband.'

Berg was arrested Monday in connection with the crash, and is now facing charges of reckless manslaughter.

The stricken widow said her alleged actions have devastated her family.

'I think that young people sometimes think that they’re invincible. And don’t think their decisions through and it’s devastating. Families are torn apart,' Laura said.

'He has kids that now don’t have a dad.

'The devastation is real and I don’t know how we will ever recover from it. I don’t know how we ever put one foot in front of the other again.'

AZ Family said they also spoke with Berg's family after her arrest, who said that the crash has also been very tough on her and her family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-park-ranger-harley-chevrolet-corvette.html

Was tempted to put this in the two wheeler thread

Arizona girl, 18, is arrested 'after killing married park ranger dad riding his Harley while she drove brand new Chevrolet Corvette that costs up to $140,000 at 155mph'​

• Rachel Berg, 18, is charged with reckless manslaughter after allegedly plowing her Corvette supercar into Michael Clark, 46
  • She was arrested Monday over the March 12 crash after cops found she had been speeding at over 155mph
  • Clark's stricken widow Laura described him as a 'loving father and an amazing husband'
An Arizona teen is facing charges after allegedly plowing her Chevrolet Corvette supercar into a married father-of-two after speeding at over 155mph.

Eighteen-year-old Rachel Berg is accused of striking park ranger Michael Clark, 46, on March 12 as he rode his Harley Davidson motorbike along US 60 in Mesa, Arizona.

Berg was arrested Monday after the airbag computer system on her 2024 Corvette - which cost between $70,000 and $140,000 - found she had been driving at 155mph seconds slamming the brakes and careening into Clark.

She struck him at 87mph, police say, then attempted CPR - but Clark, a former Tacoma cop, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Clark's heartbroken widow Laura paid a touching tribute to the former cop after his sudden death, telling AZ Family: 'He loved being a father. He loved being a father to his kids and he was an amazing husband.'

On the night of the crash, Arizona authorities said Berg rear-ended Clark's motorcycle on the highway after reaching the breakneck speed, before slamming on the breaks to 87mph right before impact.

She reportedly told troopers at the scene that she tried to avoid the motorcycle but couldn't slow down in time.

It is unclear who bought Berg the 2024 Chevrolet Corvette supercar. Her family lives in a modest four bed, two bath, $616,000 home in Tempe.

Troopers said Clark was thrown into a concrete wall from the collision, and Berg attempted to perform CPR on him, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Laura Clark said she knew something was wrong when her husband of nine years didn't return home on time.

'He should’ve been home at 10:45 and I got out of bed at 11:15 and he wasn’t, and I could hear the police helicopter. And I knew, I knew. I called him. He didn’t answer. I texted him, but he didn’t read it,' she said.

Clark had served in the Tacoma, Washington Police Department for 14 years, but had left the force in 2020 to travel with his wife in an RV they bought together.

They eventually settled in Mesa, Arizona, where Michael began working as a Tempe park ranger.

'He was a man of service. He served his country and he served the community of Tacoma. He was serving Tempe,' Laura said.

'He never met a stranger and he was so warm and welcoming. And our house was always the house for holidays. He loved to cook for people. He loved being a father. He loved being a father to his kids and he was an amazing husband.'

Berg was arrested Monday in connection with the crash, and is now facing charges of reckless manslaughter.

The stricken widow said her alleged actions have devastated her family.

'I think that young people sometimes think that they’re invincible. And don’t think their decisions through and it’s devastating. Families are torn apart,' Laura said.

'He has kids that now don’t have a dad.

'The devastation is real and I don’t know how we will ever recover from it. I don’t know how we ever put one foot in front of the other again.'

AZ Family said they also spoke with Berg's family after her arrest, who said that the crash has also been very tough on her and her family.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-park-ranger-harley-chevrolet-corvette.html

Oomf. That’s terrible. A good one for young drivers to read.

Conjoined twin Abby Hensel is now married​

Abby and Brittany Hensel, who documented their lives in the TLC reality series "Abby & Brittany," have a new member of the family.
Abby and Brittany Hensell

https://www.today.com/parents/family/conjoined-twin-abby-hensel-married-rcna145275

1711639975937.png

Reactions: Zorba
The more you think about it, the more questions you will have

Most of them surround the implications of the remaining single one wanting to get married some day and all the weirdness both that guy and the current husband will have to get used to in order to make that family dynamic work. Both of them are gonna have to be ok letting his brother-in-law take a run on his wife on the regular.

Most of them surround the implications of the remaining single one wanting to get married some day and all the weirdness both that guy and the current husband will have to get used to in order to make that family dynamic work. Both of them are gonna have to be ok letting his brother-in-law take a run on his wife on the regular.

What about children in that situation? If possible.

Denver City Council bans sugary drinks on children's menus​

City council passed an ordinance Tuesday that bans Denver restaurants from offering sugar-based drinks on children's menus. Kids will now be offered water or milk.

DENVER — The Denver City Council on Tuesday moved to prohibit restaurants within city limits from including sugary drinks on children's menus, arguing it would help counter America's obesity epidemic.

The measure defines "default" beverage in a "children's meal" to mean two things — water, which may be "still or sparkling, with no added sugar" or "dairy milk or non-dairy milk substitute with no added sugar."

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...-9a05-1758976b3c7c?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

In 1839, after a decade of financial success, the twins quit touring and settled near Mount Airy, North Carolina. They became American citizens, bought slaves, married local sisters, and fathered 21 children, several of whom accompanied them when they resumed touring. Chang and Eng's respective families lived in separate houses, where the twins took alternating three-day stays. After the Civil War, they lost part of their wealth and their slaves. Eng died hours after Chang at the age of 62. An autopsy revealed that their livers were fused in the ligament connecting their sternums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_and_Eng_Bunker

Denver City Council bans sugary drinks on children's menus​

City council passed an ordinance Tuesday that bans Denver restaurants from offering sugar-based drinks on children's menus. Kids will now be offered water or milk.

DENVER — The Denver City Council on Tuesday moved to prohibit restaurants within city limits from including sugary drinks on children's menus, arguing it would help counter America's obesity epidemic.

The measure defines "default" beverage in a "children's meal" to mean two things — water, which may be "still or sparkling, with no added sugar" or "dairy milk or non-dairy milk substitute with no added sugar."

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...-9a05-1758976b3c7c?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

If it actually works, I don't hate this. Americans take in far too much sugar and if all it takes is limiting the children's menu to healthier choices, I'm all for it. parents can still buy a soft drink outside of the kids meal if they're dead set on poisoning the kid.

I suggest that anyone that doesn't pay attention to how much sugar they get, just watch it for a day. Most 20oz bottles of soda are about 2x the sugar in an equivalent volume of southern sweet tea, and go well past the suggested amount for an entire day.

Reactions: tworley
If it actually works, I don't hate this. Americans take in far too much sugar and if all it takes is limiting the children's menu to healthier choices, I'm all for it. parents can still buy a soft drink outside of the kids meal if they're dead set on poisoning the kid.

I suggest that anyone that doesn't pay attention to how much sugar they get, just watch it for a day. Most 20oz bottles of soda are about 2x the sugar in an equivalent volume of southern sweet tea, and go well past the suggested amount for an entire day.

Becoming a type II solved that for me in my 40's

Most fast food workers in California will be paid at least $20 an hour beginning Monday when a new law is scheduled to kick in giving more financial security to an historically low-paying profession while threatening to raise prices in a state already known for its high cost of living.
Democrats in the state Legislature passed the law last year in part as an acknowledgement that many of the more than 500,000 people who work in fast food restaurants are not teenagers earning some spending money, but adults working to support their families...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/new-20-minimum-wage-fast-food-workers-california-108688945

• Face Palm
Reactions: BlueC and RINC