No aluminum Savvy bumpers in near future

inkedrose

washed up superhero
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Read through what feels like a couple hundred pages on here... everything came back that SAVVY Aluminum is best bumper made. Savvy has them listed out of stock. Called another company that had them listed on website, wanted to see if I might get lucky and find one in back stock (no luck). Guy there told me main person that does all Savvy aluminum welding is down with cancer so no telling when they'll get back around to making them. From what I read in older threads (2019/2020) theres nothing else comparable? Has any other company stepped up making the stronger quality aluminum bumpers? I've heard Genrights name a few times but threads say it's still old tech? How big of a weight difference is a steal bumper? Does it really make that big of a difference? I have a tank of a front bumper now so guessing any stubby will be better.

Been looking at Motobilt, JRC, poison spider, UFC, Genrite.... been down the rabbit hole a few weeks now. Savvy seems to be off the table. Anyone have opinions on the rest?
Post pics of what you've got

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
How big of a weight difference is a steal bumper?

Approximately 3x the weight for the same style and strength of bumper.

Guy there told me main person that does all Savvy aluminum welding is down with cancer

I think this guy might be mistaken. I thought that is the guy who does their stainless steel welding (ie. tub rails)?

They just had a batch of bumpers for sale a week or two ago.

Reactions: inkedrose
Genright is top notch.

Genright is made from 5000 series aluminum as evidenced by the sharpness of the bends and by the fact that they will admit this on the phone when asked. The result is that the GR bumpers will break and tear at the corners and edges long before a thoughtfully designed 6061-t6 bumper will. I've seen it happen in person. Genright is far from top notch.

Last edited:

I think this guy might be mistaken. I thought that is the guy who does their stainless steel welding (ie. tub rails)?

Guess the weight was dumb question... that makes sense. As far as guy being ill, I got it second hand so could very likely be wrong. If thats the case I'll hold out a bit and see. Is driving with less weight on the front end that noticeable? Does a few HP make that big of a difference? Does the weight change the handling drastically?

@rasband received a Savvy front bumper within the last two weeks directly from Savvy.

Genright is made from 5000 series aluminum as evidenced by the sharpness of the bends and by the fact that they will admit this in the phone when asked. The result is that the GR bumpers will break and tear at the corners and edges long before a thoughtfully designed 6061-t6 bumper will. I've seen it happen in person. Genright is far from top notch.
Back to my original question, is anyone else making anything comparable? Sounds like answer is no? If thats the case, is steel is a better option?

Guess the weight was dumb question... that makes sense. As far as guy being ill, I got it second hand so could very likely be wrong. If thats the case I'll hold out a bit and see. Is driving with less weight on the front end that noticeable? Does a few HP make that big of a difference? Does the weight change the handling drastically?

A steel bumper that's 20lbs over aluminum won't make a huge difference. The issue comes in when you then add a heavier rear bumper, steel winch cable, steel corners, etc. It all adds up. So the easiest way to avoid this is to choose the lighter option whenever you have a choice.

@rasband received a Savvy front bumper within the last two weeks directly from Savvy.

Thats good to know. I clicked the "email me" button. Guess I'll just keep checking back. Would rather buy once cry once but don't want to wait indefinently either

Back to my original question, is anyone else making anything comparable? Sounds like answer is no? If thats the case, is steel is a better option?

Nothing that I'm aware of.

If you need something now that'll handle light use, and can wait for a Savvy bumper, a good cheap choice is to cut down the stock front bumper and then wait for Savvy to have them back in stock.

A steel bumper that's 20lbs over aluminum won't make a huge difference. The issue comes in when you then add a heavier rear bumper, steel winch cable, steel corners, etc. It all adds up. So the easiest way to avoid this is to choose the lighter option whenever you have a choice.

gotcha. That makes way more sense. Pennies make dimes and dimes make dollars... think big picture

... Does a few HP make that big of a difference? Does the weight change the handling drastically?

Yes, no, depends. The Savvy front is no more than 14lbs. I have a Motobilt stubby that I heavily modified to incorporate most of the Savvy design elements. As I recall, it weighs about 35lbs without lights attached. While that 20lbs by itself doesn't matter much, shaving small mounts of weight multiple places will add up and starts to be noticable.

Last edited:

If someone is making anything comparable to the Savvy TJ product line, I am not aware of it.

Savvy Black Hole 🤣

200.gif

.... Would rather buy once cry once but don't want to wait indefinently either

I can't really answer that. I went through the work of getting something close to the Savvy bumper in form. But I'm torn between wanting the reduced weight and liking the ability to weld and modify my bumper.

I guess for me, it's either Savvy or steel that I can rebuild into something almost as good.

I can't really answer that. I went through the work of getting something close to the Savvy bumper in form. But I'm torn between wanting the reduced weight and liking the ability to weld and modify my bumper.

Learn aluminum welding? 😉 (I'm not that cool yet either 😭)

• Haha
Reactions: inkedrose and jjvw