No crank but power on 06 TJ

Again check the ignition actuator pin.

My original wasn't broke, I put a new one in anyway. Also put in a brand new ignition switch,

Also the starter would only turn over when the key was in the start positions (not on). When I had it to on it cranked, but wouldn't turn over. Once we moved it to start it turned right over.

Yeah it's definitely not the battery. I ran 16ga from the starter terminal up to the positive. When she turned the key into run it fired right up.

Yeah I got it started with just running the wire from the starter terminal up to the positive on the battery. I used some 16ga wire I had here. For the moment I just have it wrapped around the starter terminal, and touched the other end to the battery terminal.

How would I secure that to both the battery and to the starter terminal? I've never really done any kind of soldering/splicing or anything like that.
I there somewhere I can just feed them through with the old wiring?
And finally how can I track down what part of the old circuit went bad (did you even bother with that)?

No need to solder anything. Just go get a few terminal ends and crimpers from Tractor Supply. They are fairly cheap and they sell a decent “variety pack” that comes with the pliers/crimpers. That will get the job done. You’ll need one battery terminal eyelet which are sold separately. You don’t need anything crazy. Just a cheap one will do the job. Something like these... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MTXKW9/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You’ll have to introduce a switch to the circuit. Use a 12v 20amp spring loaded push button. They are like $8-$12 at Napa. Something like this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MTXKW9/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Then you just run the wire from the starter into the cab. There is a rubber plug to the right of the gas pedal... drill a hole and feed it through. You’ll connect the wire from starter to one of the terminals on the push button (it doesn’t matter which side you connect) using one of the terminal ends you bought. Then just connect the other end of the push button to the battery using the battery terminal eyelet. Just make sure you have enough wire to get the job done. 16 or 18 gauge is fine for this job.

...and no, I never figured out what the issue was. Honestly, my Jeep is a piece of shit so I have no plan to ever fix it correctly.

So I was hoping to make some headway on this issue, as my alternate transportation is now running into some issues.

So while I CAN jump the starter terminal on the battery, I noticed today I blew another 30amp fuse (fuse 6 in the PDC).
I don't think that fuse is blowing when I'm trying to start it with the key, rather whenever it's jumped.

I'm not quite sure how to follow the wiring diagram here, so would appreciate any help. I'm really not sure how to track this down.
Tried calling a mechanic this week, but haven't heard back yet.

start1.jpg

Yeah, if you arc the wire directly off the battery, it’s going to pop the fuse.
Oh ok. With the workaround you gave me (and it does work) do I just have to keep the fuse out of there? Seems like it does start despite the blown fuse, whenever it's jumped.
I was mostly kinda worried about frying the PCM.

Though I do have a spare now, and will use that when I'm trying to troubleshoot.

Don't have time to read the whole thread, but lock cylinder possibly?

It will start with that fuse blown but if it’s the fuse I’m thinking it is, your blower motor and othe stuff won’t work. Your airbag and ABS lights will also be on. Just replace that fuse and stop arcing of the battery.

It will start with that fuse blown but if it’s the fuse I’m thinking it is, your blower motor and othe stuff won’t work. Your airbag and ABS lights will also be on. Just replace that fuse and stop arcing of the battery.
Actually just blew another fuse, so it looks like I have a short somewhere I'm guessing.

Though I'm not sure where to start trying to track this down.

So I was hoping to make some headway on this issue, as my alternate transportation is now running into some issues.

So while I CAN jump the starter terminal on the battery, I noticed today I blew another 30amp fuse (fuse 6 in the PDC).
I don't think that fuse is blowing when I'm trying to start it with the key, rather whenever it's jumped.

I'm not quite sure how to follow the wiring diagram here, so would appreciate any help. I'm really not sure how to track this down.
Tried calling a mechanic this week, but haven't heard back yet.

View attachment 215186
This sheet and 8W-21-2 and -3 indicate what I had heard, the PCM is involved in starting the 05 and 06.

8W-21-3 shows the starter motor relay is grounded through the PCM.

It also shows the clutch pedal position is "sensed" by the PCM on 8W-21-2.

I didn't see the neutral safety switch, but there is a transmission range sensor for the auto on 8W-31-6 that senses when it is in P or N.

So finally resolved the problem. Turns out that the terminal connector was corroded as hell. I had to cut back 5-6 inchest before I found clean wire. Spliced in a new length and put on a spade connection.

Started right up!

Last edited:
Reactions: JKP
What's the wrong relay?
I'd been walking through my troubleshoot. I was using the wrong relay slot though (I was testing the ASD, instead of the starter relay).
So none of that was really applicable to the problem. Had spent about an hour before I realized I had the wrong relay out.

So finally resolved the problem. Turns out that the terminal connector was corroded as hell. I had to cut back 5-6 inchest before I found clean wire. Spliced in a new length and put on a spade connection.

Started right up!
Please advise as to which terminal. The wire looks to thin to be a battery terminal but is that what it was? If so was it at the battery post or somewhere on the other end? If it was not, which terminal corrector are you referring to? Thanks, having the same problem.