No crank

Clarkshaun2010

So I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ and I drove to the shops and when I got back in my car it wouldn’t start, the lights came on but just a single click. I’m not a mechanic and don’t really know loads about mechanical parts but I changed the starter motor, battery, spark plugs, fuel injectors and starter relay and still no luck. Any ideas what it could be?

So I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ and I drove to the shops and when I got back in my car it wouldn’t start, the lights came on but just a single click. I’m not a mechanic and don’t really know loads about mechanical parts but I changed the starter motor, battery, spark plugs, fuel injectors and starter relay and still no luck. Any ideas what it could be?

You changed the starter motor, but did you reuse the solenoid? Some cars I've had in the past certain manufacturers didn't give you the solenoid with the new starter.

If you jump the leads on the starter, will it crank?

I'd be looking at your battery cables & neutral safety switch/shifter alignment as the #1 things that will stop it from even cranking. But if you worked on the starter I'd focus on those connections first.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
I'd put the key in the on position and jumper the big cable on the starter to the little one and see if it starts.

If it does I'd check for voltage on the little wire while someone turns the key. That'll give you a direction to look in.

-Mac

You changed the starter motor, but did you reuse the solenoid? Some cars I've had in the past certain manufacturers didn't give you the solenoid with the new starter.

My starter came with a new solenoid

So I jumped the starter and car started, what does that mean 🤷‍♂️

Means that the ASD relay is preventing voltage from reaching the starter.

Neutral safety switch or clutch switch for one.

-Mac

Single click on the relay means the ASD actually did work though, right? I would be looking at those battery connections (on both ends).

Reactions: macleanflood