Off-road Campers (Towing with LJ)

We tow a Luna Rover by Intek. 1875# dry. I’ve moved it around with the TJ, and taken one trip in the 2-hr range. Felt fine, but I took it easy. Usually we tow with our Yukon.

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Shank and bucky
Does anyone have something similar to the trailer/camper below?

Just starting to put some ideas into CAD. I can model this entire project in not too much time and have a perfect cut list.

I like the idea of an off-road camper as shown below. My wife and I enjoy tent camping, but don't particularly enjoy 100 degree weather tent camping. We would like to travel more and be able to not have to worry as much about weather.

My idea of a camper is:
A place to sleep
A place to get out of the weather
A place to store necessary camping items

The camper needs to be able to be pulled by the LJ (although I see having a TRD Tacoma in the future at some point).

My idea is to build the entire shell, do the exterior, and have an empty inside to start. This will likely be a project that may be years away, too many house and other projects at this time.

View attachment 444128

View attachment 444127

I tow 2 trailers for camping with my LJ and XJ. Both meet your criteria of providing a place to sleep, getting out of the weather and provide a place to store camping equipment. They're quite different but they get the job done.

I built an expedition trailer and use it for solo trips. My wife is not crazy about the roof top tent. I don't blame her and that's fine with me. (y)

23-10-30 36.jpg

I also have a "tear pop" that I bought and modified. We're able to stand up in it and it's great for trailering our kayaks (lid down).

23-10-13 4.jpg

I'm currently building square back tear drop trailer. It will replace the expedition trailer. Hopefully my wife will be enthused about it to the same extent she is about my expedition trailer and I will be camping solo in it. It will have an awning off one side of it an awning / annex off of the other side. It will also have a galley in the rear. I will not be able to stand up in this one and the annex room will be fine.

23-11-11 1.jpg

In each case the LJ and XJ have been a good tow vehicles. They both have a small 2" lift and tires in the 31" - 32" range. 3.73 gears in the LJ and 3.55 in the XJ. Both have automatic transmissions. The 1st trailer above is about 800 lbs. the 2nd one about 1,300 lbs. and I think the 3rd will be around 1,500 lbs.

My teardrop is for me. The wife has given up camping and it’s only hotels, cruise ships and VRBO for her. She has agreed to go to Sturgis next year and use it if I can’t get a cabin at Buffalo Chip.

Reactions: JMT and Shank
I tow 2 trailers for camping with my LJ and XJ. Both meet your criteria of providing a place to sleep, getting out of the weather and provide a place to store camping equipment. They're quite different but they get the job done.

I built an expedition trailer and use it for solo trips. My wife is not crazy about the roof top tent. I don't blame her and that's fine with me. (y)

View attachment 523145

I also have a "tear pop" that I bought and modified. We're able to stand up in it and it's great for trailering our kayaks (lid down).

View attachment 523146

I'm currently building square back tear drop trailer. It will replace the expedition trailer. Hopefully my wife will be enthused about it to the same extent she is about my expedition trailer and I will be camping solo in it. It will have an awning off one side of it an awning / annex off of the other side. It will also have a galley in the rear. I will not be able to stand up in this one and the annex room will be fine.

View attachment 523148

In each case the LJ and XJ have been a good tow vehicles. They both have a small 2" lift and tires in the 31" - 32" range. 3.73 gears in the LJ and 3.55 in the XJ. Both have automatic transmissions. The 1st trailer above is about 800 lbs. the 2nd one about 1,300 lbs. and I think the 3rd will be around 1,500 lbs.

Life changes between the original post and now. Baby will be here in July (or June). I have to consider options for the 3 of us now. Fortunately my brother is trialing that with his sub 1 year old soon.

Just got back from 4 days in the desert with 600+ of friends. Pulling 900# trailer with 400# gear, water and gas. Another 400# gear, water and coolers of beer and food. Not able to calculate milage on the way out. Was able to maintain 64mph @ 2490rpm in 6th gear and AC on with no issues. I pulled several 5-6% grades in 5th with only down shifting to 4th at the end of the 5-10 mile ones. On the way back with 200# less weight, no beer left, and fighting 30-40 mph headwinds the TJ got 9.7 mpg. Very happy with the performance of the TJ. Even with the tongue weight and gear in the back I had not noticeable rear end sag. I did get a stick through the side wall of one of the trailer tires.

Reactions: JMT and Shank
Just got back from 4 days in the desert with 600+ of friends. Pulling 900# trailer with 400# gear, water and gas. Another 400# gear, water and coolers of beer and food. Not able to calculate milage on the way out. Was able to maintain 64mph @ 2490rpm in 6th gear and AC on with no issues. I pulled several 5-6% grades in 5th with only down shifting to 4th at the end of the 5-10 mile ones. On the way back with 200# less weight, no beer left, and fighting 30-40 mph headwinds the TJ got 9.7 mpg. Very happy with the performance of the TJ. Even with the tongue weight and gear in the back I had not noticeable rear end sag. I did get a stick through the side wall of one of the trailer tires.

Shame about the stick but the rest seems good! Hope you had some fun.

Very small hole but in the sidewall. Glad the trailer has a spare. I was going to replace the tires anyway as they are 4 yrs old and I don’t know their history. It has 13” tires and they are relatively cheap online. My group does about 6 campouts a year so it will be well used. I’ll take it to Sturgis next year.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Shank