Ultimate camping and towing rig

the wobbly jalopy goes where we go,

1658064907379.png

1658064947057.png

1658064975104.png

What I wanted but couldn't justify the price so I made my own. 36ft" overall, box is 12 foot on the flat wall plus the V. Works pretty good for two people.

Guy we wheel with has a 40" Sundowner open deck with 20ft living quarters. About $100k new, be pulls it with a Freightliner crew cab hauler. Bad ass rig, way more than I would spend.

View attachment 282089

Hey @AMS417, I followed this build but still cant find it other than this picture. How much does that trailer setup weigh?

Hey @AMS417, I followed this build but still cant find it other than this picture. How much does that trailer setup weigh?

All built out loaded with gear and a full water tank it’s about 7600-7700 depending on what tools I’m hauling. I was 21480 across the scales with the Jeep and everything loaded for a long weekend all in.

IMG_7449.jpeg

Just went 2200 miles towing with the little ecoboost, the 2.7….she’s running fine.

But I do agree, diesel is the only way to pull heavy.

And I’d go super C over a class A pusher. But that’s preference in your theory.
we did not buy a class A, because the wife said "I don't want to be the first one to the crash scene" LOL

We tow our LJ on a lifted car hauler with our Cummins powered 1993 Barth diesel pusher . I prefer using the trailer for several reasons . The trailer gives us the ability to back up if needed . It gives us extra carrying capacity and last but not least , if us or anyone with us breaks something and the Jeep is not road worthy we will be able to get the damaged Jeep home .

KIMG1127_copy_1040x585.jpg

IMG_20231025_190126397_copy_1024x460.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Jmac00
We also went from flat towing to putting the wobbly jalopy on a trailer. It saves on tires, and over all wear-n-tear on the TJ.

But basically, with the cost of tires, I don't want to buy new one prematurely

A new Crawler Hauler in the making...

My buddies just made a small one of these with a little bumper pull camper on a goose. They used the plasma table to make brackets for the axles hubs so the rv retained its suspension. Easy to convert back to a trailer to sell or upgrade. Lot of extra weight with two frames and it’s a few steps to get up into it but it’s quick and affordable compared to a sundowner.

Reactions: Wildman
My buddies just made a small one of these with a little bumper pull camper on a goose. They used the plasma table to make brackets for the axles hubs so the rv retained its suspension. Easy to convert back to a trailer to sell or upgrade. Lot of extra weight with two frames and it’s a few steps to get up into it but it’s quick and affordable compared to a sundowner.

It was why I made my RNTH (Redneck Toy Hauler) with a camper. Worked really good and didn't weigh that much more but I'd have liked to have the added room of a trailer. Was going to do something similar this time around before I found the motorhome.

Reactions: AMS417