Offending my skinny white American girl daughter (or am I a racist?)

Damn it. I also heard that she got into hot water for being friends or friendly with George W. Bush :sick:.

Actually I know of her, not because I've ever watched her talk show, but because somehow I know the sitcom Ellen. I assume my sister watched it when I was growing up, but I don't remember anything other than the sitcom Ellen.

...There now you can see some of my shame....I think I'm gonna go drive a tractor for a bit to feel better...
A couple of decades ago, I enjoyed the stand-up comedy specials on HBO or similar. About the time that Howie Mandel, Tim Allen, and Drew Carey were getting known. Watching them seemed to generally entail a sprinkling of newcomers just getting started. One of them was Ellen. I wasn't impressed but later heard that she got a show of her own. Still not impressed.

Retard. Every time I use that word around my daughters and wife I get the same shit the O.P. gets. Every time.

I am the OP and I get that too.

According to my wife the word retard used to hurt their feelings so the term had to be changed to developmentally disabled. Now she says just because someone does something stupid doesn't mean they are developmentally disabled. No Shit! I would never call a developmentally disabled person a retard, mainly because they don't like it and they can't really help what they do anyway, but I'll never know how calling some stupid ass MFer a retard is still offensive to those that no longer accept the word to be used on them.

Sometimes I wonder how long until developmentally disabled needs to be replaced with something nicer? I don't really care though because retard has much fewer syllables and fits in anywhere.

Reactions: JMT
I am the OP and I get that too.

According to my wife the word retard used to hurt their feelings so the term had to be changed to developmentally disabled. Now she says just because someone does something stupid doesn't mean they are developmentally disabled. No Shit! I would never call a developmentally disabled person a retard, mainly because they don't like it and they can't really help what they do anyway, but I'll never know how calling some stupid ass MFer a retard is still offensive to those that no longer accept the word to be used on them.

Sometimes I wonder how long until developmentally disabled needs to be replaced with something nicer? I don't really care though because retard has much fewer syllables and fits in anywhere.

I think a lot of it is generational obviously.

I was talking with my step-dad the other day about how when we grew up in school we always referred to something that was lame as being "gay".

I have absolutely nothing whatsoever against anyone who is gay. So when we were saying it, it's not like we were saying it to actually try and offend someone who was homosexual. We were just young kids, and that's what we grew up saying.

Nowadays if you were to say that in most schools you would be expelled.

In my mind it really depends on the tone and context in which someone us using a word. I never intend to be hurtful, but it also doesn't help that we now live in the most hyper-sensitive culture imaginable.

I don't really care though because retard has much fewer syllables and fits in anywhere.

That's what's most important. It can be shortened for brevity to 'tard and just has a certain "ring" to it that developmentally disabled will never have:

I have absolutely nothing whatsoever against anyone who is gay. So when we were saying it, it's not like we were saying it to actually try and offend someone who was homosexual. We were just young kids, and that's what we grew up saying.

I think a lot of it is generational obviously.
I travel around the world as part of my job and young people outside the west is not acting like our young people in the west.
The most racists in the world IMO are the fuckin' Japs!

Last edited:
I think that above all theres something called freedom of speech. Regardles if it might or might not be racist, anyone can say whatever they want. In a civil world you could discuss different points of views, but we don't live in a civil world imo.

Reactions: D M
Anybody remember this shit back in July 2013?
An airliner short shot the run way. A news lady was reading this from her teleprompter...

IMG_0582.JPG

I'm sure it does wonders for his self esteem.

@scottgraham has a son and I have no idea what his age is or how he is/was being raised, but if he has self esteem issues it's from far worse things than earning a title or a nickname or whatever you think the word glutard is. Things like getting participation trophies and being taught to be a victim or be offended by whatever comes to mind is what's causing problems in our society.

edit: I should have added that I doubt that any of the worse things fit in with scottgraham's son.

Last edited:
Reactions: DEValken and L J