Offending my skinny white American girl daughter (or am I a racist?)

I travel around the world as part of my job and young people outside the west is not acting like our young people in the west.
The most racists in the world IMO are the fuckin' Japs!

Truth.

I've traveled quite a bit too, Americans don't really know what racism is. This country was a melting pot from the start, we're used to it. A lot of other countries aren't and have heavily ingrained racism as part of their culture. And our black/white thing doesn't even come close.

Man... the other day i was telling my daughter how "negro" was a commonly accepted term not to long ago... then it became bad.

Then "black" took over... then became bad.

Then "african american" took over.... is now becoming bad.

She acted like the grand dragon himself was telling her this.

I travel around the world as part of my job and young people outside the west is not acting like our young people in the west.
The most racists in the world IMO are the fuckin' Japs!
If you spent some time in Africa and some of the other areas in that part of the world, you'd likely come away thinking that both the US and Japan are rank amateurs at being racist. We get offended, they tend to ignore others not of their race, but there are whole races targeted for extinction in Africa and the middle east through many distasteful methods and a lot of that is with a machete. That's professional grade racism.

Isn't multiculturalism the definition of racisms? Where everyone is defined by their tribe/race.

We all belong to a certain race and we should not be called racist if we don't like each other.
Sometimes I hate my own race he-heh. But I am not a racists hating my own race, am I?

When people understands the conversation around "racism and prejudice", fewer people gets offended by it.

Last edited:
I belive that instead of a racial issue, its an ethnocentrism issue, racism is a byproduct of it. That is something that was passed on from generation to generation long beforen the new world existed. Everything that we are experiencing right now, has happend before, we are just more connected with one another now and things moves way quicker than during the Roman Empire for example.

Reactions: D M
Man... the other day i was telling my daughter how "negro" was a commonly accepted term not to long ago... then it became bad.

Then "black" took over... then became bad.

Then "african american" took over.... is now becoming bad.

She acted like the grand dragon himself was telling her this.
You've forgotten "colored". I can't recall if it was generally accepted before "black", or after (though I believe it was before). It's what I was taught to say, and it was a respectful term. It's what the "C" in NAACP stood for. Now, the term "People of color" seems to be something of a replacement for the word.

Mulatto (mixed race) has also been deemed offensive, or so I've been told. Most of the younger folks I work around have never even heard the word, so maybe it's dying off.

And don't forget "Afro-American" (rather than African American). Not sure if that was ever considered copacetic, or not. I just remember hearing the term a lot in my youth.

Reactions: L J
1586117144478.gif

Last year when we were in Clinton IA, they have a lot of white moms going for their weekend groceries with their mulatto kids (dads are no where near them).
I asked my Afro-American jeep buddy why and he said we are doing it to ourselves. Whatever that means.

Last edited:
You've forgotten "colored". I can't recall if it was generally accepted before "black", or after (though I believe it was before). It's what I was taught to say, and it was a respectful term. It's what the "C" in NAACP stood for. Now, the term "People of color" seems to be something of a replacement for the word.

Mulatto (mixed race) has also been deemed offensive, or so I've been told. Most of the younger folks I work around have never even heard the word, so maybe it's dying off.

And don't forget "Afro-American" (rather than African American). Not sure if that was ever considered copacetic, or not. I just remember hearing the term a lot in my youth.

I wanted to give her a follow up speech about how we should all be labeled Americans... and leave the skin color or ancestral land out of it.

I also wanted to quote teddy roosevelt's awesome speech about immigration, assimilation, and unity...

Buuut.... i only have 20 seconds of speech time with her until her eyes start rolling and my words become a foreign language to her.

Teddy's speech snippet:

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

^ that is a small example of ethnocentrism, when us citizens refer to the U.S as America, America is the whole continet. North, central and south. For example, Uruguay Citizens could be called Americans too and it would be right. But if they tell a regular us citizen that they are Americans, they would not comprehend it very well and probably would start rambling about how they are the only Americans.

That is something that is seen in all civilizations created by mankind and in my opinion is the root of all other types of racism or maybe it might be the other way around?