Official Formula 1 thread

Toto Wolf said it was a "colossal fuck up" and I agree 100%. George Russell had a wonderful weekend up until the race was about 2/3 over. They double stacked a pit stop and got the tires mixed up and spent way too much time in the pits. Russell could still have won the race even after another stop to get the tires right. In an ironic twist Jack Aitken driving Russell's Williams car knocked his front wing off leaving carbon fiber chardes on the front straight. Russell developed a slow leak, possibly front his regular ride, taking out of contention. Fortune. Why do you mock me?

I don't think I've ever seen a tire mix up like that in F1. I think it might cause Russell or maybe Mercedes some further grief because it put him beyond the maximum sets of tires you can use in one race.

Happy to see Perez get the win and Stroll come in 3rd (admittedly biased).

It was a great race to watch!

I shut it off after the halfway point when Russell made his first pit stop. I had to go buy a new fridge and pick up the keys to the new house. If someone would have told me this was how the race ended without reading about it on legit sources I would have told them nice try but there’s no way.

These are the mistakes that amateurs make, not a 7x WCC team makes. Crazy!

Racing Point is not offering their best driver a new contract. I don't think Vettel is an upgrade over Checo. It is possible that Ferrari was not giving Vettel equal equipment, but there is a lot of money tied to the constructors points and would a poor financial decision. Vettel seems to have lost his ability to stay on the track too.

Oh man, that poor guy. Russel was handling that Merc damn near as well as Hamilton! Colossal fuck up is one way to describe it. He had a shot there at end of a drive back to the top especially after that ballsy pass on the outside of Botas. So impressive, then he gets a random ass puncture.

My wife is convinced it’s a conspiracy, Hamilton didn’t want him driving away with an easy victory like he does every weekend because then it’s just prove that it’s the car lol.

Racing Point is not offering their best driver a new contract. I don't think Vettel is an upgrade over Checo. It is possible that Ferrari was not giving Vettel equal equipment, but there is a lot of money tied to the constructors points and would a poor financial decision. Vettel seems to have lost his ability to stay on the track too.
I completely agree. I think Vettel has been on a downward slope since he threw away his chance at a 2018 title. Checo is consistently outperforming him and deserves the seat. But as with most things in life, money talks

Is it wrong to wish that Hamilton would have been sick a couple more days?
Nah man. Doubt he was sick at all, just would have been nice to see another shakeup. I was hoping the Covid quarantine timing would have kept him out for another race (not like he's gonna miss the points).

Reactions: jesseshoots
The decision on whether Hamilton is in or not can be made as late as Saturday which surprises me. I thought it was that a driver had to participate in Friday practice. Apparently he can miss that and Saturday practice too but he has to qualify (Saturday of course). Given the ripple effect I guess it's not just Russell sitting around but Aitken with Williams too. Which teams do they practice with, or not, on Friday?

I have to think it will be Hamilton/Russell in 2022 and that Bottas won't be renewed. I like Albon but I'd like to see Perez in the second Red Bull for 2021. They should send him back to AlphaTauri to duke it out with Gasly. I read that one of the reasons he'll likely be back with Red Bull is that he is Thai as is one of the owners of Red Bull.

I have to think it will be Hamilton/Russell in 2022 and that Bottas won't be renewed.
It certainly wasn't a good look for Bottas to have a jr. driver step into the team & outperform him handily with practically no familiarity. Russell had to be reminded of the power settings on the steering wheel (at least once that we heard), told the team to remind him of the pitbox location, and still outdrove him for the entirety only to lose by circumstance.

Had it not been for the botched pitstop & the puncture one would have thought it was Hamilton in there the whole time.

It certainly wasn't a good look for Bottas to have a jr. driver step into the team & outperform him handily with practically no familiarity.

It was interesting that at today's drivers press conference that Russell was dressed in Mercedes' garb and that Aitken was in Williams'. Latifi & Aitken sat together but I don't think that Russell & Bottas did.

Nico Hulkenberg replaced Stroll at the Eifel Grand Prix and only participated in Q1 and the race. He missed all of practice. Hulk got a phone call around 9 am, got in his car and drove to the track. I think he got to the track around 30 minutes before qualifying.

Nico Hulkenberger replaced Stroll at the Eifel Grand Prix and only participated in Q1 and the race. He missed all of practice. Hulk got a phone call around 9 am, got in his car and drove to the track. I think he got to the track around 30 minutes before qualifying.

Yes. That was the shits ... which is why Stroll had to sit that one out. :eek:

Hulkenberger is another one that could fit in nicely in a lot of seats.

Perez to Red Bull

Red Bull maintained that they promote from with in, but I think it was the best choice.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/red-bull-sergio-perez-2021/
I think this will be great for the team. It may help them stick it to Merc more consistently, but there's no way that they can take first. I hope I'm wrong though. Albon isn't a bad driver, he's just not a great driver.

The RB young driver program seems so hostile that I'm not shocked the drivers cant seem to succeed in F1. Marko is a ruthless dick that will screw anyone over in a heartbeat.

Ya'll think Hamilton is going to retire after next year? I could see him doing one more year in the same car to put a footstomp on his numerous records & then bailing for other ventures in light of the coming rule changes.