Official Formula 1 thread

You joined the thread just to say it is boring?

I said that it became boring actually but I should have explained why. I watch most races since I was a kid and I'm sad to see how less interesting they became lately. Unless it's raining or the safety car comes out, then we can hope to see a few overtakings ( or even a big pile up like in Mugello ) but otherwise most races look like a high speed parade to me.

They should definitely change the rules to bring the performance level of the different cars closer to each others with a more overtaking-friendly aerodynamic. Hopefully this will happen next year but for now I much more enjoy watching the F2 championship ( BTW I find the feature race - sprint race with inverted grid format very interesting, they should think about something similar for F1 IMO) and MotoGP which is always epic.

I don't find F1 boring.
Maybe you wouldn't either if Murray Walker (and James Hunt) were still commentating and maybe if Lewis Hamilton was Swiss.
Good point about the commentators as they are soporific on my local TV channel so it definitely doesn't help. But honestly if the driver winning almost every race was Swiss with only his team mate to fight with, that would not be much more interesting to me. Hamilton is an awesome racer for sure but if you put any F1 driver behind the wheel of the Mercedes, he will finish on the podium unless he crashes or have a mechanical failure. Lewis Hamilton himself said he'd like more competition. Maybe some teams found something during the winter but i doubt it as the cars will be pretty much the same as last season.

Live look outside Mercedes garage.... Happy to be proven wrong in the morning.

Sandbags-Japanese-GP.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: jesseshoots
I’m excited to see how things shake out tomorrow! If testing and practice were accurate signs I’m looking forward to the battles!!
Me Too! McLaren's diffuser loophole reminds me of the double diffuser Ross Brawn exploited in 2009.

How fitting would it be if Red Bull wins the championship given Honda's propensity for bailing on F1 teams when it finally finds success.

In other news sign me up for this scenario next year :oops:
https://racer.com/2021/03/26/mclarens-brown-predicts-verstappen-russell-at-mercedes-in-2022/

I believe if Checo started from 11th on the grid, it would have been a different race. I'm also surprised they sent him out on medium tires in Q2 with the field so tight.

Really like Max's comments at the end - he'd have rather taken the 5sec penalty than give the place back, but he gave the position back where he did because doing so later wouldn't have been fair.

I like where this guy's head is.

Props to Tsunoda for scoring points on his debut race as well - 3 years later and Russel still hasn't done it (and I love Russel, can't wait to see him in a Merc full-time). Lando had a really good race too, would have preferred him on the podium over Bottas, but it is what it is. Maybe later in the season.

Reactions: Brianj5600
Overall I was very satisfied with this race and am looking forward to the battles that will continue over the course of the season. The midfield looks awesome and the up front battle is at least between two teams.

Absolutely gutted that Checo's car died on the way to the line, but he certainly proved he is capable of wheeling that thing. Last to fifth is pretty good.

Lastly, I'll leave this here...

• Haha
Reactions: CybrSlydr
Overall I was very satisfied with this race and am looking forward to the battles that will continue over the course of the season. The midfield looks awesome and the up front battle is at least between two teams.

Absolutely gutted that Checo's car died on the way to the line, but he certainly proved he is capable of wheeling that thing. Last to fifth is pretty good.

I don't think any driver has ever been so universally reviled without having yet sat on the starting grid in F1. Can't say I wasn't grinning when he wiped out.

This won Tweet of the Week from #WTF1 and it's absolutely hilarious.

ExlFgQiWEAEewe9?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: James C.
Now that I thought about it, Checo pitted for new tires under the safety car and I think he caught the field before the safety car came in. Still a good result after having a dead car on the warm up lap.

Sadly, having a billionaire for a father who is willing to buy you a seat...

One of the big risks for F1 is an expansion of the Stroll model with one seat reserved for as long as the son wants it.
Then again, always been a bit of 'money talks', remember Perez had a rocky start but was guaranteed a seat because of Carlos Slim's financial backing.