Official Formula 1 thread

I think this will be great for the team. It may help them stick it to Merc more consistently, but there's no way that they can take first. I hope I'm wrong though. Albon isn't a bad driver, he's just not a great driver.

The RB young driver program seems so hostile that I'm not shocked the drivers cant seem to succeed in F1. Marko is a ruthless dick that will screw anyone over in a heartbeat.
Now I have one more reason to attends Mexico GP in 2021!!! Who joins me?? (BTW, tickets are on sale)

I've been looking forward to this F1 season more than many in recent years. I've watched all of the car livery debuts and the early testing and it will be a different, and good, look this year even if the cars haven't changed that much. The new driver combinations will be great to watch.

As excited as I am I was saddened to hear of the passing of Murray Walker today. He will be forever remembered in F1. If saying "hello" counts I met him in 2001. I was at the Canadian Gran Prix and a group of us were having dinner when he walked in with his group and sat down right behind me. Within seconds I asked my friends who were facing his way ... "is that ... ". "Yep". I can't recall the race results and really don't care because I will remember that forever.

R.I.P. Murray Walker.

This season is kinda "meh" for me. I'm REALLY looking forward to next year and the new car designs.

I'll watch the races, but I'm not expecting anything drastically different from last year.

I am optimistic about this year. I believe Red Bull will have a better chance with Checo on the team. Pit strategy won't be so easy for Mercedes. McLeran should be better with Danny and Mercedes power. There has been talk over the last few years about the Mercedes rear floor and grip that it gave the rear of the car. This year the FIA changed the rules to a perceived strength of the Mercedes aero. Hamilton did lose the rear end and beach it in the gravel trap. You have not seen him do that very often. No team shows their hand in pre-season test, but time will tell.

There seems to be a few F1 fans so here is the thread for F1 conversation.

I saw my first in person F1 in 1984 in Dallas. I was on the fence when Nigel Mansell attempted to push his car across the finish line. He collapsed from heat and exhaustion allowing Keke Rosberg to to win. I was hooked.

The turbo era cars were crazy. Up to 1500 hp in qualifying and huge rear tires could accelerate beyond belief. There was a hairpin the penultimate corner and the first couple of cars through accelerated so fast my head didn't turn fast enough. After a few came through my head was up to speed. Big bang engines fire all cylinders in between 90 and 110 degrees and don't fire again for around 620 degrees.

In 2001 we were planning a honeymoon in Italy in April 2002, including going to the San Marino F1 race. 9/11 erased that.

I went to the first Indy F1 race and several after. Hearing the Mercedes come down the front straight was crazy loud. The metal grandstands with metal roof reflected the sound and amplified it. All of the teams by then were running big bang engines, except Mercedes-Benz. BB engines have a lower tone a sound like the rpm is lower. They sound incredible at 17,000+ rpm, but the even fire Mercedes sounded more like a turbine engine or a whirring sound. I could go on.

Sorry for the long post...I am a little passionate. Share your stories, tech, news, anything Formula 1.

I'll start some news. George Russell will be replacing Lewis Hamilton, well driving Lewis' factory Mercedes. I like Russell and would like to see him with a better car.
Seen my first F1 race in 1983 or 1984 in Montreal,Quebec,Canada
- was never really my thing until that day when I was standing on a overpass and watched the vehicle decelerating towards a tight chicane.
WOWEE , mind boggling !!!

Reactions: Brianj5600
Seen my first F1 race in 1983 or 1984 in Montreal,Quebec,Canada
- was never really my thing until that day when I was standing on a overpass and watched the vehicle decelerating towards a tight chicane.
WOWEE , mind boggling !!!

My first in person F1 race was Dallas 1984. The acceleration out of a hairpin late in the race with little fuel and boost turned up made the biggest impression on me.

I've been looking forward to this F1 season more than many in recent years. I've watched all of the car livery debuts and the early testing and it will be a different, and good, look this year even if the cars haven't changed that much. The new driver combinations will be great to watch.

As excited as I am I was saddened to hear of the passing of Murray Walker today. He will be forever remembered in F1. If saying "hello" counts I met him in 2001. I was at the Canadian Gran Prix and a group of us were having dinner when he walked in with his group and sat down right behind me. Within seconds I asked my friends who were facing his way ... "is that ... ". "Yep". I can't recall the race results and really don't care because I will remember that forever.

R.I.P. Murray Walker.

Murray Walker turned me on to all kinds of motor sport in my formative years, Rally Cross, international rallies, Motor Cross and, of course F1 and F2 etc. etc.
Don't know if he ever commentated NASCAR but if he did his level of commitment, energy and excitement would have been hard to beat.
A sad loss to motorsport in general.

Murray Walker turned me on to all kinds of motor sport in my formative years, Rally Cross, international rallies, Motor Cross and, of course F1 and F2 etc. etc.
Don't know if he ever commentated NASCAR but if he did his level of commitment, energy and excitement would have been hard to beat.
A sad loss to motorsport in general.

He did ... sort of.

F1 became as boring to watch as cross country skiing.. Considering the money involved, it's coming close to beat soccer as the sport that provides the less amount of entertainment for the buck :sleep:

F1 became as boring to watch as cross country skiing.. Considering the money involved, it's coming close to beat soccer as the sport that provides the less amount of entertainment for the buck :sleep:
Soccer is awesome you heathen.

• Face Palm
Reactions: qslim
1615946092541.gif

I don't find F1 boring.
Maybe you wouldn't either if Murray Walker (and James Hunt) were still commentating and maybe if Lewis Hamilton was Swiss.

Reactions: PCO6
I don't know if we got much coverage by Murray in U.S. I do miss Hobbs and Diffey. When ESPN took over coverage I had trouble understanding the announcers. The accents sounded like another language. I can understand the ESPN coverage now. I don't know if I got used to it or just different people.