Official Formula 1 thread

Now that I thought about it, Checo pitted for new tires under the safety car and I think he caught the field before the safety car came in. Still a good result after having a dead car on the warm up lap.
Universal praise for how he dealt with the car dying. No radio contact with pits, new to the car but knew he had to take off the steering wheel to carry out a complete reseat. Definitely cool under pressure.

Sadly, having a billionaire for a father who is willing to buy you a seat...

One of the big risks for F1 is an expansion of the Stroll model with one seat reserved for as long as the son wants it.
Then again, always been a bit of 'money talks', remember Perez had a rocky start but was guaranteed a seat because of Carlos Slim's financial backing.
I've never had much against a "pay" driver as long as they are halfway decent. This is the case with Stroll. He's proven a capable driver. Definitely not one of the top 20 drivers, but he's done better than Seb.

There's no way to have 10 teams, half of which aren't even auto manufacturers, and have money/sponsors not play a role.

How bout a thread drift on the subject of f1?
I've always been a modelist and here's my 1:18 scale Walter Wolf WR-1 from the 70's I've been building for several years now.
All the detail I've created from various found materials, the only exception are the seatbelts which are bought as a kit and you assemble them, a few more gauges and coolant lines to make, paint and decals only thing left.
Enjoy!
IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0716.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CybrSlydr and UKTJ
How bout a thread drift on the subject of f1?
I've always been a modelist and here's my 1:18 scale Walter Wolf WR-1 from the 70's I've been building for several years now.
All the detail I've created from various found materials, the only exception are the seatbelts which are bought as a kit and you assemble them, a few more gauges and coolant lines to make, paint and decals only thing left.
Enjoy!
That is really cool.

Reactions: Tray Burge
Decent race today. Interesting interaction with Bottas and Russel. Bummed for Lando, looks like the softs weren't the right compound and should have gone with the meds.

I have a hard time placing blame between Bottas and Russell. There was not enough dry pavement for both of them. Toto said it was 60/40 but he doesn't know which way It does seem there is going to be a good fight for the championship.

Reactions: qslim
I have a hard time placing blame between Bottas and Russell. There was not enough dry pavement for both of them. Toto said it was 60/40 but he doesn't know which way It does seem there is going to be a good fight for the championship.
Yeah it wasn't exactly clear cut, seems like a racing incident to me.

He wasn't as kind later in the day. He basically said Russell should have known better than to try to pass on a wet part of the track while implying that a Williams shouldn't have been trying to pass a Mercedes at all. He also pointed out that with the budget limits this year ($145M) replacing Bottas' car will limit other improvements they had planned to make.

Williams had one of it's best days in years ... apart from wrecking 2 cars!

Reactions: Brianj5600
One of the best races today that Ive seen in awhile! I’m not a big Hamilton fan, gotta admit I enjoyed watching Alonso fight him off for 8 laps. Seeing Hammy line up on the restart all by himself was entertaining as well lol.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Definitely a strange one. Rain, even a little bit of it, always makes things interesting. Lots of good races within the race and great to see Williams finally score some points. Always nice to see a first time winner.

Hamilton was absolutely knackered at the end of that race. Never seen him so out of sorts on the Podium before.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-has-long-covid-after-hungarian-gp-exhaustion
"
“I have been fighting all year with my health after what happened at the end of last year and it is still a battle,” he said. “I had really big dizziness and everything got a bit blurry on the podium.”

The race at the Hungaroring is hot and physically demanding but Hamilton conceded that he may be experiencing the symptoms of the form of the virus where health problems remain for months after it is first contracted.

“I haven’t spoken to anyone particularly about it but I think it is lingering,” he said. “I remember the effects when I had it. The training has been different since then and the levels of fatigue you get are different and it’s a real challenge. So [I am] just continuing to try and train and prepare the best way I can. Who knows what it is today? Maybe it’s hydration but I’ve definitely not had that experience. I had something similar in Silverstone but this is way worse.”"

Definitely a strange one. Rain, even a little bit of it, always makes things interesting. Lots of good races within the race and great to see Williams finally score some points. Always nice to see a first time winner.
I love any race where a wrench gets thrown into the logistician's finely tuned plans, be it weather, penalties, or format changes. I really liked the sprint race from Silverstone, I thought it added a lot to the weekend & I hope they do it more often.

Hamilton was absolutely knackered at the end of that race. Never seen him so out of sorts on the Podium before.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-has-long-covid-after-hungarian-gp-exhaustion
"
“I have been fighting all year with my health after what happened at the end of last year and it is still a battle,” he said. “I had really big dizziness and everything got a bit blurry on the podium.”

The race at the Hungaroring is hot and physically demanding but Hamilton conceded that he may be experiencing the symptoms of the form of the virus where health problems remain for months after it is first contracted.

“I haven’t spoken to anyone particularly about it but I think it is lingering,” he said. “I remember the effects when I had it. The training has been different since then and the levels of fatigue you get are different and it’s a real challenge. So [I am] just continuing to try and train and prepare the best way I can. Who knows what it is today? Maybe it’s hydration but I’ve definitely not had that experience. I had something similar in Silverstone but this is way worse.”"
Interesting, I noticed that he was out of it too. I've read some stuff on the long-term effects of the 'vid, at the level this guy operates I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I just read that Vettel was disqualified because in the post race inspection they couldn't extract the required 1 litre of fuel from his car.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CybrSlydr
Bottas gets a 5 place grid penalty for causing the mayhem at turn 1

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...prix-halted-after-first-lap-chaos-2021-08-01/

Stroll also got a 5 grid position penalty for Spa. I saw his a bit differently. He braked hard but exited the track onto the grass at the inside of turn 1. Had kept going on the grass he would have lost spots but at least stayed in the race. His mistake was to get back on and that's when he collected LeClerc. Gasly did something similar on the outside of turn 1 but rode it out and stayed out for a while.

I don't like first lap contact taking cars out of the race. In this case with no wet practice, I don't think there should have been any penalty to Bottas. If it was dry or even wet with some wet practice I still don't like 1st turn wreck penalties. FIA needs to come up with aero regulations that allow following closer through turns. Track position would matter less if drivers could pass.

I don't like first lap contact taking cars out of the race. In this case with no wet practice, I don't think there should have been any penalty to Bottas. If it was dry or even wet with some wet practice I still don't like 1st turn wreck penalties. FIA needs to come up with aero regulations that allow following closer through turns. Track position would matter less if drivers could pass.
Bottas knows better than to do that crap. Everyone else was slowing down except him. He fucked up and wiped out, conveniently, the majority of those who could challenge Merc for the win in that race. His penalty was 100% deserved.