Official Formula 1 thread

This is the first race that I've missed this year. The East Division CFL final took precedence and unfortunately my team will NOT be going to the Grey Cup. I'll be scanning Youtube and other sources for the next while for an update.

With all the great tracks in the world I HATE watching canyon racing on dangerous tracks like this. F1 won't change though. They know where the money is. Sad too on a weekend when Sir Frank Williams was honoured.

Its one thing when you put a track in a city and it has to be a narrow canyon type track. Its stupid thing to so when you have land and a clean sheet of paper.

I would add that Masi (race director) has not come out of this at all well. The part I find curious, that does not seem to me getting much discussion in the media, is when Verstappen gave the place back and let Hamilton past. Immediately afterwards he retook Hamilton at the next corner, even before he got DRS (having let Hamilton past just before the detection point). Race Controller then immediately issued the 5 second penalty, as if Verstappen had not given the place back, but what had Verstappen done wrong? The rules say nothing about how long the llace must be hiven back for, or indeed where on the circuit it should be hiven back.

In the end all a bit moot as Verstappen coild not have held the lead when he ran out of tyre life. My guess is Red Bull were gambling on a third red flag allowing a second free tyre change.

That race sucked. I was exciting, but that track is dumb and the country they raced in is dumb. It's a track with the speeds of Monza and the dimensions of Monte Carlo.

Man I’m so glad I recorded the race and watched it yesterday. it recorded 4 hours!

i was just surprised lap one wasn’t catastrophic, I thought for sure there would have been a couple DNFs first turn. Wasn’t a fan of the track

... Verstappen gave the place back and let Hamilton past. Immediately afterwards he retook Hamilton at the next corner, even before he got DRS (having let Hamilton past just before the detection point). Race Controller then immediately issued the 5 second penalty, as if Verstappen had not given the place back, but what had Verstappen done wrong?
I wondered the same thing. The 5 second penalty must have been for how he reentered the track. That or Masi screwed up.

I wondered the same thing. The 5 second penalty must have been for how he reentered the track. That or Masi screwed up.
Not quite.

"Max Verstappen is handed a five-second penalty for leaving the track and gaining an advantage"

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-lap-37-collision.7GGfMvAnRIGPtMQphh7zCd.html
He was handed a further 10-second penalty for causing a collision - their main reason for this is he decelerated by 2.4G with Hamilton behind him. I'm wondering how much of a brake that is at the speeds they're going - 2.4G could be a gentle tap at those speeds for all I know.

"The stewards saw fit to hand Verstappen a further 10-second penalty and two penalty points (taking him to a total of seven over the 12-month period) with their report reading: "At Turn 21 the driver of car 33 [Verstappen] was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 [Hamilton] and was told by the team to do so 'strategically'. Car 33 slowed significantly at Turn 26.

"However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.

"In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."

Its one thing when you put a track in a city and it has to be a narrow canyon type track. Its stupid thing to so when you have land and a clean sheet of paper.

They put these tracks in cities because of the facilities (hotels, restaurants, transit, etc.) to benefit and attract fans. At the Qatar race the main grandstand held 8,000. I don't think I saw any others. I didn't catch the attendance of the Saudi race but it was said to be the largest sporting event ever held in the country. Maybe it was the camera angles but I didn't see any fans. Maybe it's against their way of life to show people having fun. The ridiculous thing is that these countries could just write a cheque to cover all of the F1 fees and other costs. They don't need fans!

Not quite.

"Max Verstappen is handed a five-second penalty for leaving the track and gaining an advantage"

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-lap-37-collision.7GGfMvAnRIGPtMQphh7zCd.html
He was handed a further 10-second penalty for causing a collision - their main reason for this is he decelerated by 2.4G with Hamilton behind him. I'm wondering how much of a brake that is at the speeds they're going - 2.4G could be a gentle tap at those speeds for all I know.

"The stewards saw fit to hand Verstappen a further 10-second penalty and two penalty points (taking him to a total of seven over the 12-month period) with their report reading: "At Turn 21 the driver of car 33 [Verstappen] was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 [Hamilton] and was told by the team to do so 'strategically'. Car 33 slowed significantly at Turn 26.

"However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.

"In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."
Yes, but the point is that in such situations teams then order a driver to 'give the place back'. After the crash incident (that was the subject of the 10 second penalty) Verstappen did give the place back to Hamilton, but then proceeded to re-overtake him very shortly thereafter, the Race DIrector then gave Verstappen the penalty. I can only conclude that retaking the place so soon after 'giving it back' was not acceptable, but I know of nothing in the rules that defines how long the place must be given back for to avoid the penalty.

So much about this race that left me scratching my head.

FWIW... I am not a Verstappen fan. He's still got some growing up to do. Aggressive is fine. Unsafe.. not fine. He drives with an 'at all cost' attitude that is dangerous. Way too many times I've seen him gain an advantage while leaving the track.

The track.. Too narrow and too many blind corners. Minimal overtaking opportunities.

Bottas slowing up in front of Max.. questionable. Last lap podium steal was great.

Never heard anything defining how long a place must be given back before it can be retaken. Truth told, Lewis left that door wide open. There was no overlap at the time, so Max went for it. In the absence of a rule that says you have to give back the place for a specified amount of time, I can't blame him for the immediate overtake.

Masi brokering a deal with Red Bull... never heard of that either.

Last edited:
So much about this race that left me scratching my head.

FWIW... I am not a Verstappen fan. He's still got some growing up to do. Aggressive is fine. Unsafe.. not fine. He drives with an 'at all cost' attitude that is dangerous.

The track.. Too narrow and too many blind spots.
i agree with all of that. let's hope they tweak the track before they are back there in a few months' time.

can't imagine verstappen's driving will change much between now and then though..

i agree with all of that. let's hope they tweak the track before they are back there in a few months' time.

can't imagine verstappen's driving will change much between now and then though..

I hate to think about what it will take to change his driving.

The whole fight for DRS when Max was 'trying' to give back the position was interesting. Hadn't thought of that. I think Anthony D was the first to mention it. Max slowed quite a bit to let Lewis by, but with Lewis slowing too, and the DRS line approaching Max just threw out the anchor. From the post race interviews, sounds like Lewis was aware of the tactic and might have been equally guilty with his slowing down. Why else would he have slowed? You're in the heat of a battle with the guy in front of you and he slows dramatically. You slow down too or your squirt by him? Lewis was a guilty of trying to capture the DRS advantage, but Max could have handled it differently. I don't think it was a brake check, but you just don't do what he did.

Max leaving the podium was a little childish too. Reminded me of Rosberg throwing the hat at Lewis in the post race room. Immature. How Max gets voted driver of the day... beyond me.

I hate to think about what it will take to change his driving.

The whole fight for DRS when Max was 'trying' to give back the position was interesting. Hadn't thought of that. I think Anthony D was the first to mention it. Max slowed quite a bit to let Lewis by, but with Lewis slowing too, and the DRS line approaching Max just threw out the anchor. From the post race interviews, sounds like Lewis was aware of the tactic and might have been equally guilty with his slowing down. Why else would he have slowed? You're in the heat of a battle with the guy in front of you and he slows dramatically. You slow down too or your squirt by him? Lewis was a guilty of trying to capture the DRS advantage, but Max could have handled it differently. I don't think it was a brake check, but you just don't do what he did.

Max leaving the podium was a little childish too. Reminded me of Rosberg throwing the hat at Lewis in the post race room. Immature. How Max gets voted driver of the day... beyond me.
I agree that both drivers were equally at fault in the "brake check" battle. Max was doing exactly as he should have to minimize the casualties of giving the position back. Lewis was aware of the tactic and used his experience to get the better of him. Where it went wrong was they got too close and shit happened. Lewis could have easily pulled right alongside Max, but chose to stay on his tail.

Overall the driving standards across the board were crap. Same with the stewarding/race control.

I cannot wait to see the absolute shit show of a race next weekend!

Reactions: B252 and MikekiM
Agreed... that's going to be a free-for-all
200.gif

can't. fucking. wait.

Reactions: MikekiM and qslim