Utah Official TJ Fest 2023 Thread

Start at Rusty Nail/Golden Spike/Exit Poison Spider.

Started around 10 and we were out before dark. Rusty nail is one of my favorite trails plus you still get to hit Golden Crack! I think its more enjoyable than the run you listed above...

Gotcha. That’s good timing. Thanks for the pro tip!

I should be there. So add me to the list. Probably hook up with some of you and run trails a couple days. Getting too old for a full week :)

Rusty Nail/Golden Spike/Exit Poison Spider. always a big day and fun trails with plenty of obstacles.
I al always up for steel bender
We could do behind the rocks

• USA Proud
Reactions: JMT and Apparition
Looking forward to this trip. I'm bringing my wife this time. It will be her first time in this area. She retires in 7 days so we are making this an extended trip. We plan on going on to Delores Co, Sedona, Phoenix, New Mexico then three orv parks in Texas then maybe Hot Springs Arkansas.

Will be in Moab 4/23 thru 5/7. Definitely looking to join up with others for a few of the trails. Tried to catch Apparition last year for Hell's, had to back out last minute... hoping to check that off the list this time around!

Reactions: Rwd1960
This is the list I have from this thread and other discussions. Pretty small (edited to add a few more who notified me of plans to go or not:

@jjvw ?
@rasband
@toximus
@tworley ?
@Kevin Q
@Therbytj
@L0jik
@EternalHobbyist
@Alex01
@Midnight LJR
@Lonewolf
@ChevyKeith
@josb612 ?
@gogetter
@Rwd1960

Anyone else?

Is this the full list (minus the few who've since had to back out)?

My trip to Moab last weekend fell through for me (very sick dog - pancreatitis, etc - now well $$$$) so considering joining you folks for the Fest. Obviously there are no rooms available but I could hit the first come first serve BLM campgrounds with my tent. I'd trailer the LJ, just don't want to risk any breakdowns that would prevent me from driving home. And it's doubtful I could handle a full week in a tent (KOA is $60/night for a sand lot) so likely limited to a few days.
Another consideration is whether I'd have the juevos to participate on some of the 'riskier' trails. My Jeep is built well enough just not sure my old ass is up for the challenge. I'm no rookie exactly but haven't done anything remotely like Moab before. Certainly wouldn't wanna be 'that guy' that holds up the show. Going to read the book again and go over some of the trails you've listed as must do.

Is this the full list (minus the few who've since had to back out)?

My trip to Moab last weekend fell through for me (very sick dog - pancreatitis, etc - now well $$$$) so considering joining you folks for the Fest. Obviously there are no rooms available but I could hit the first come first serve BLM campgrounds with my tent. I'd trailer the LJ, just don't want to risk any breakdowns that would prevent me from driving home. And it's doubtful I could handle a full week in a tent (KOA is $60/night for a sand lot) so likely limited to a few days.
Another consideration is whether I'd have the juevos to participate on some of the 'riskier' trails. My Jeep is built well enough just not sure my old ass is up for the challenge. I'm no rookie exactly but haven't done anything remotely like Moab before. Certainly wouldn't wanna be 'that guy' that holds up the show. Going to read the book again and go over some of the trails you've listed as must do.

Idk how you feel about the tent camping itself, but the KOA is pretty cushy honestly. Laundry, showers, hottub, pool. It's definitely nothing like camping in BLM land for a week

Idk how you feel about the tent camping itself, but the KOA is pretty cushy honestly. Laundry, showers, hottub, pool. It's definitely nothing like camping in BLM land for a week

Good point. They have only 1 spot available as of an hour ago. Shit or get off the pot time. As far as the tent, I have a nice Kodiak canvas and a comfy bed.
Now I'm wondering how long to stay. Do the first weekend and skip the 2nd or reverse..
When's the majority of folks gonna be there?

• Sad
Reactions: lBasket
Good point. They have only 1 spot available as of an hour ago. Shit or get off the pot time. As far as the tent, I have a nice Kodiak canvas and a comfy bed.
Now I'm wondering how long to stay. Do the first weekend and skip the 2nd or reverse..
When's the majority of folks gonna be there?

Dang, bummer. I was kinda hoping there'd be spaces open for a while. I want to make it but I can't commit since I'm shopping for a new house right now. No idea what the timing is going to end up being.

If I'm not moving during I definitely want to make it out there for at least a few days.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Dang, bummer. I was kinda hoping there'd be spaces open for a while. I want to make it but I can't commit since I'm shopping for a new house right now. No idea what the timing is going to end up being.

If I'm not moving during I definitely want to make it out there for at least a few days.

If for some reason I have to cancel I will let it be known.

I booked 4/28 in 5/6 out. I might need to adjust but took what I could get.

• Love
If for some reason I have to cancel I will let it be known.

I booked 4/28 in 5/6 out. I might need to adjust but took what I could get.

Nice! Well maybe I can buy it from you somehow if it works out that way :LOL: They seem to be pretty flexible, too. First time I went out, I extended my stay by 2 days and they weren't a pain about it or anything

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Hooboy, now I'm gonna have questions.

1. On the GMRS/CB list on the sign in page what's the DCS column? Are you using digital privacy codes on GMRS or is that something totally separate from the GMRS CH16? Yup, I have hard mounted mobile Kenwood GMRS.

Hooboy, now I'm gonna have questions.

1. On the GMRS/CB list on the sign in page what's the DCS column? Are you using digital privacy codes on GMRS or is that something totally separate from the GMRS CH16? Yup, I have hard mounted mobile Kenwood GMRS.

I have the config file that DINO set up for us the first fest hanging around. If you flash that to your radio, you should be fine talking to everyone.

edit - I'm not a radio expert, so if you can't set it up the same way as I do on the baofeng cheapo unit I'm not sure how to help you lol

I have the config file that DINO set up for us the first fest hanging around. If you flash that to your radio, you should be fine talking to everyone.

My radio is programmed but without any CTCSS codes (OFF) so would need to bring my laptop to program it to match (not a big deal). Kenwood does not have FPP, only software.