Utah Official TJ Fest 2024

And likely the same situation at Sun Canyonlands in June. Gonna call there but it's likely corporate policy throughout.

How's the tent boodocking situation in the area? 😆
I have a Kodiak canvas tent, cot, Honda generator, camp stove, and lotsa water jugs...

Would like a firepit and can bring my stash of Montana dead-standing pine.

Time for a duckduckgo search.

Reactions: Wildman
And likely the same situation at Sun Canyonlands in June. Gonna call there but it's likely corporate policy throughout.

Yep, since it's the same corporate owners now.

I have a Kodiak canvas tent, cot, Honda generator, camp stove, and lotsa water jugs...

@JMT boondocked last year. I'm not ready to attempt it in my motorhome yet. Want to have a few trips under my belt first. Doing some weekend trips in primitive sites will be my testing part.

I'm not super familiar with the area, however last year I had a buddy boondocking off of Willow Springs Road just north of town. Was a nice spot... seemed to be a popular place to camp and everyone seemed respectful of the others.

Reactions: Wildman and NOTNSUV
Yep, since it's the same corporate owners now.

@JMT boondocked last year. I'm not ready to attempt it in my motorhome yet. Want to have a few trips under my belt first. Doing some weekend trips in primitive sites will be my testing part.

We boondock in Montana every year. More like Glamping in the 5th wheel, tho'. Have 400w solar (a must IMO) and all the good stuff but can't get the 5th to Moab with the LJ on a trailer. Would require 2 tow rigs (which I have) and that the wife pull the LJ - just a hassle. And the April thing I'll be alone.
I've considered the flat tow thing (double) but some negatives there as well.

1. If the Jeep breaks suspension or such and can't be driven then it likely can't be towed.
2. Would require further beefing up the hitch on back of the 5er and many say that isn't good enough. Pin strength can also be an issue. I pull SxS and/or ATVs behind it all the time but weight is around 2k max.

Makes me wish I'd kept my Eagle Cap overhead camper.

I'll figure this out.

I'm not super familiar with the area, however last year I had a buddy boondocking off of Willow Springs Road just north of town. Was a nice spot... seemed to be a popular place to camp and everyone seemed respectful of the others.

Where are the trail head meeting spots on these daily runs? Or do ya'll meet over coffee or such?

Where are the trail head meeting spots on these daily runs? Or do ya'll meet over coffee or such?

For the closer trails just meeting at the staging area for the trail is a good idea.

If the trail is farther from Moab then meeting at a gas station in town is a popular idea.

Reactions: UhOh
For the closer trails just meeting at the staging area for the trail is a good idea.
Are they a mix of north and south from Moab? Just trying to get a feel for how far I'd have to drive each day from some dry camp.

..and where did you camp in the past?
Any recommendations?
If the trail is farther from Moab then meeting at a gas station in town is a popular idea.

Thank ya.

I was completely alone overlooking this scene.

It’s about 15 minute drive SE of Moab. It was no joke getting there. It’s very likely no one knew I was there the entire week.

IMG_9935.jpeg

IMG_9737.jpeg

IMG_9699.jpeg

IMG_9701.jpeg

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Reactions: JMT
Assuming you drove the no joke TJ up there? F350 CC 8' with LJ on the trailer might be a bit much 😆.
Very nice.

There are quite a few camping spots along the river. I’ve always assumed some may be first come first serve.

For us meeting up has always been at the trailhead and then subsets of the group usually meet up at the shell station next to the KOA before heading to the trail head.

Probably not something y’all would consider but i’ll throw it out there that we airbnb’d a small house close to fins’n’ things and hells revenge in 2021. It was cheaper than the hotels in the area and we do all our own cooking most nignts anyways (even on vacation) it was great to have a garage to check out our rigs before each day of wheeling, and since we only did day trips for a week, it worked out perfectly for us. Cheers!

Reactions: UhOh and NOTNSUV
WOW New management has sure changed things. That is crazy. I'd call and make sure on stuff. Used to be a good park to stay at.
I got a call-back from the campground and she assured me that it was $10/day per rig (truck & trailer) to park in overflow. $70 is substantial.

• Wow
Doesn't seem like it's mentioned much on the Moab Trailfest threads, is anyone interested in wheeling Elephant Hill? I've done it twice and it's definitely one of the best trails I've experienced! For sure doing it again this year! Moderately difficult sections and spectacular scenery! A full day as its about an hour southof Moab.
I'd coordinate with whoever might be down to go.

Doesn't seem like it's mentioned much on the Moab Trailfest threads, is anyone interested in wheeling Elephant Hill? I've done it twice and it's definitely one of the best trails I've experienced! For sure doing it again this year! Moderately difficult sections and spectacular scenery! A full day as its about an hour southof Moab.
I'd coordinate with whoever might be down to go.

I'll look into it online. Having never done Moab and traveling alone in April I'd probably be up for something like that.

Is this sign not accurate or do Jeeps not count as OHV?

Elephant Hill 005.JPG

Last edited: