Officially moving to Huntsville, AL

Property prices are about to explode. Far far more than they already have. I’ve been to redstone over the decades and while the area boomed, it’s about to go a whole new level.
You are right. This entire market is really thriving. My remodel company is booked into 2022.

You are right. This entire market is really thriving. My remodel company is booked into 2022.
Well, hell... I guess any remodeling we might need to have done, I'll need to do myself then...

But that is a great problem for you to be having!

Well, hell... I guess any remodeling we might need to have done, I'll need to do myself then...

But that is a great problem for you to be having!
Here's the deal in Huntsville and about everywhere... There is more work than qualified people to do it.

Especially during a boom.

I have a very different business model...I'm the only sizable remodeling contractor in Huntsville that the owner will get out of the truck and put on a tool belt.

We make sure that everything is air sealed... That everything meets or exceeds code... That everything that gets covered up is immaculate... We are extremely clean...we do what we say we're going to do 100% of the time or we explain to the customer why we didn't.

People are absolutely dying for a contractor that makes sure the job they hired them to do gets done and gets done well.

I have people beating my door down.

Huntsville has a very technical and sophisticated /intellectual type clientele... They absolutely love having a contractor that has polite people that treat their home and property with respect. They love to know that you're doing it better than they thought you would.

Last edited:
Here's the deal in Huntsville about everywhere... There is more work than qualified people to do it.

I have a very different business model...I'm the only sizable remodeling contractor in Huntsville that the owner will get out of the truck and put on a tool belt.

We make sure that everything is air sealed... That everything meets or exceeds code... That everything that gets covered up is immaculate... We are extremely clean...we do what we say we're going to do 100% of the time or we explain to the customer why we didn't.

People are absolutely dying for a contractor that make sure the job they hired them to do gets done and gets done well.

Huntsville has a very technical and sophisticated /intellectual type clientele... They absolutely love having a contractor that has polite people that treat their home in property with respect. They love to know that you're doing it better than they thought you would.
Refreshing to hear. Which proves that if a lot of contractors would just take a little pride and do what they say, they all could be doing really well. It’s unfortunate how so many in the profession are subpar. And congrats on the new job and good luck with the move @Artsifrtsi

Refreshing to hear. Which proves that if a lot of contractors would just take a little pride and do what they say, they all could be doing really well. It’s unfortunate how so many in the profession are subpar. And congrats on the new job and good luck with the move @Artsifrtsi
I really really have a passion to talk to Young contractors...

The failure rate is extremely high second only to restaurants.. and many people work very hard and never get their family out of the trailer park.

It doesn't have to be that way.

If people will show up with passion, pride and an attitude that they're going to give people the best, the market will pay for that.

The very first principle has to be always, always keep your word. Relationships are like bank accounts they need more deposits than withdrawals.

Never choose speed over quality.

Look at things along the way honestly... Talk to your client... Make sure you're getting what they want along the way and when you finish you won't be at odds.

If you can't do it or don't know how to do it just tell people... Be real.

Put everything in writing.

Take your work all the way.. go the extra mile.. that is The Road less traveled and if there's a pot of gold anywhere it's probably down that road.

Last edited:

The failure rate is extremely high second only to restaurants.. and many people work very hard and never get their family out of the trailer park.

If people will show up with passion, pride and an attitude that they're going to give people the best, the market will pay for that.

The very first principle has to be always, always keep your word. Relationships are like bank accounts they need more deposits than withdrawals.

Look at things along the way honestly... Talk to your client... Make sure you're getting what they want along the way and when you finish you won't be at odds.

Take your work all the way.. go the extra mile.. that is The Road less traveled and if there's a pot of gold anywhere it's probably down that road.
That's the type of work I did when I was doing finish in Idaho long, long time ago. Always made sure that my work was at the level that I'd expect in my own house. It's hard to find/ nearly impossible to find down here.

I'm hoping to not have much to do to main house, other than paint, and then can focus on the M-I-L house situation.

Reactions: AndyG
That's the type of work I did when I was doing finish in Idaho long, long time ago. Always made sure that my work was at the level that I'd expect in my own house. It's hard to find/ nearly impossible to find down here.

I'm hoping to not have much to do to main house, other than paint, and then can focus on the M-I-L house situation.
Look around Criner and Dewitt drive in Jones Valley and any adjoining streets .. you will see some ranchers with basements that are finished and if you really scout, you may see a house that's already got the addition behind it you want... I'll keep my eyes open if I see something else sincerely let you know... I'll ask a realtor right now as well if she knows of anything.

All the best
Andy

I understand you already have an area picked out. In that price range though, if you could stand a little longer drive you would be surprised what you can have. That being said, I have no idea what the school systems are like outside of Huntsville.

Reactions: John Cooper
Here's the deal in Huntsville about everywhere... There is more work than qualified people to do it.

People are absolutely dying for a contractor that make sure the job they hired them to do gets done and gets done well.

Huntsville has a very technical and sophisticated /intellectual type clientele... They absolutely love having a contractor that has polite people that treat their home in property with respect. They love to know that you're doing it better than they thought you would.
My best friend is a handyman. He isn't the best or the cheapest but he shows up on time, every time. He rarely wins the bids the first time around but wins bids or cleans up others. His business model is finishing jobs other people abandon.

Reactions: AndyG

I don’t know how many times I’ve had work done, & told the person if they find something else wrong please let me know. Then find out months later they did a patchwork job. Even after I explained I will gladly pay the extra it takes to have right.

I don’t know how many times I’ve had work done, & told the person if they find something else wrong please let me know. Then find out months later they did a patchwork job. Even after I explained I will gladly pay the extra it takes to have right.
Exactly.

People tell me all the time... They just want a good job... They just want to do it this one time.. and they understand if it's more work it's more money.

I don't know what gets in people's heads.

It's even okay for the contractor to have that conversation with a client...and an experienced contractor will know that the roof he is going to replace is probably going to have some soft decking... The bathroom is going to have some mold that needs treated.. over time you keep running into the same things over and over....really , you should have enough job vision to price it into your work.

When people find out you're the guy that does it right and they start telling everybody... Your phone is going to go crazy. I'll deal with 400 to 600 calls and text a day...it is to the point that I only communicate electronically- I cannot take all the calls and work and drive safely...and I won't.

I reached a point I was on the phone 10,000 minutes a month. And 10,000 minutes on the phone doesn't translate to how many text, and how much savable information, can be texted and retrieved... without the pleasantries about the weather and grandkids.

If it's information, text.

Emotion, a call needs to be made. You can't hug with a text.

Last edited:
Wife finally got ours listed Friday night at 9 PM for $479k... yesterday and today was non-stop showings starting at 10:30am, and ending at 5:00 pm each day... 15-30 minutes apart. Had to be 30+ each day! Looks like we have a lot of over-list offers to filter through now...

Wife finally got ours listed Friday night at 9 PM for $479k... yesterday and today was non-stop showings starting at 10:30am, and ending at 5:00 pm each day... 15-30 minutes apart. Had to be 30+ each day! Looks like we have a lot of over-list offers to filter through now...
Getting closer!!!! Glad to see more Jeep folks moving up this way!!!!!

Reactions: Artsifrtsi