OME Spring Advice

you should make a guide to lifting a Jeep.. then people will naturally read that first right?
People need to be guided in the right direction, even when it comes to searching for answers. I’m guilty myself sometimes so I don’t fault them.

Reactions: Vasq
Halfway through life, one thing I've learned is that people will always follow instructions and will do so enthusiastically.
I can’t remember the last time I’ve read an instruction manual 😆

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
People need to be guided in the right direction, even when it comes to searching for answers. I’m guilty myself sometimes so I don’t fault them.
Ahh I'm just being funny. I held back about adding a search feature to the forum.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I reviewed your guide and found it very helpful. Right now I think the availability and selection of springs has people looking at other options.

Even before creating this thread I did a ton of searching and reviewing of build threads. The information is out there but disperse and some of it in older threads. I think having the latest information is helpful in decision making.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq and Chris
Ahh I'm just being funny. I held back about adding a search feature to the forum.
The one thing that needs to be implemented in the sign up procedure is an explanation of 12"/8" followed by a quiz.

The version I gave you doesn't have that part. While I understood how to use it because I made it, it wasn't ready for public consumption. Too easy to get bad results, if you aren't careful.
Is it not just a function of weight, free length and spring rate vs stock? I put it in to a spreadsheet after a prdvious spring discussion thread, but can't confirm outcomes versus real world.

OME used to have a great reputation for a good ride with their 2" springs and OME Nitrocharger shocks but it was those shocks that provided the good ride, not the springs. So OME no longer makes the Nitrocharger, they replaced it with the much stiffer Nitrocharger Sport that not many TJ owners are fans of.

Personally I'd get some 2" ProComp springs and Rancho RS5000x shocks and enjoy the ride. That combination works well.
ProComp only a viable option if you can still buy them, which does not seem to be the case. If not OME and not ProComp and not TerraFlex, what?

I also thought BlackMax were starting to edge ahead of RS5000x in terms of budget shock preference in recent months. Have I got that wrong?

Is it not just a function of weight, free length and spring rate vs stock? I put it in to a spreadsheet after a prdvious spring discussion thread, but can't confirm outcomes versus real world.
Ride height is the result of the spring's rate and free length acting against the sprung weight of the vehicle.

With a linear rate spring like OME, one can easily and closely calculate the sprung weight of the Jeep and use that information to calculate the ride height of any other linear rate spring where the rate and free length is known.

Last edited:

I also thought BlackMax were starting to edge ahead of RS5000x in terms of budget shock preference in recent months. Have I got that wrong?
I don't think the 5000x is anything special, even for the budget price. The good thing is that people are experimenting and getting away from the one shock fits all mentality.

Ok it's your ride but be aware when people talk about how good the OME shocks ride they're talking about the older Nitrocharger like I used to run... not their current Nitrocharger Sport. At least if they ARE TJ owners. And with your TJ's light weight, according to you, nearly any 2" spring will give you more than 2".
Can you confirm which of the 2 valving options that OME offers are the ones that generate the complaints? They do offer a choice between a softer and a firmer valving option.
It would be really interesting to understand if the complaints re the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks are in relation to just the firmer valving option or both. Any insight Jerry...

It would be really interesting to understand if the complaints re the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks are in relation to just the firmer valving option or both.
Nitrocharger Sport shocks ride much firmer than the previous Nitrocharger did. The only reason that makes sense to me for that is the Sport must have firmer valving.

Nitrocharger Sport shocks ride much firmer than the previous Nitrocharger did. The only reason that makes sense to me for that is the Sport must have firmer valving.
I think you misunderstand, the question does not relate to the old shock vs the new. There are two different valving options of the new Nitrocharger Sport shock, the question is whether people have an issue with even the softer valved version of those. Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the old version.

OME is in the business to sell shocks and make profit. They needed shocks that were valved to accommodate the JK and now JL. This is likely why they discontinued the first gen Nitros. More JK's and JL's out there than TJ's, but they threw us a bone by offering a few lengths and mounting codes to fit out TJ's. They are in no way valved to compliment our lighter TJ's, unless of course, your TJ ends up weighing 5K lbs.+.

There are two different valving options of the new Nitrocharger Sport shock
What did your OME dealer say when you asked them what the difference is??? You keep asking here and it's obvious no one knows, the answer is readily available from an OME dealer.

What did your OME dealer say when you asked them that question???
Didn't ask the question as they are not of the view nobody with a TJ likes the new Nitrocharger Sport. You have reported back that the new OME Nitrocharger Sport is considered too harsh by the vast majority of TJ owners that run it. I have no reason to doubt that is indeed what you have been told, so the question posed was whether those that found them too harsh were all running the more firmly valved version of the Nitrocharger Sport or whether the softer valving was also considered too harsh. Your thoughts much appreciated.

OME is in the business to sell shocks and make profit. They needed shocks that were valved to accommodate the JK and now JL. This is likely why they discontinued the first gen Nitros. More JK's and JL's out there than TJ's, but they threw us a bone by offering a few lengths and mounting codes to fit out TJ's. They are in no way valved to compliment our lighter TJ's, unless of course, your TJ ends up weighing 5K lbs.+.
But unless I am misunderstanding their range they have different part numbers for Nitrocharger Sport shocks for the JK.

Why not? No one here has been able to answer your question asked repeatedly. You need to take it up with your OME dealer or OME directly on what the difference is between the two models.
This is a bit circular, and frankly silly. Surely easier to just say you do not know whether the people that found the OME Nitrocharber Sport too harsh were all using the more firmly valved ones or not.

Reactions: Sancho
Of course they have different part numbers. I believe the rear shocks have different mounting codes than the TJ, and likely different travels.
So do you think they are all valved the same and the part number is simply for different fitment? I had understood from the OME blurb that was not the case, but maybe that is just the marketting department at work.