On-board air in a bag

Maybe tan or red? I could suggest that they do a few in tan and a few in black if people think those colors could be good. I would probably only suggest red if a number of people said they wanted that color.
Tan would be just fine. Your organizational skills are inspiring!

Is the first aid bag in production?

The large portfolio style first aid bag in my post above (I call it the "First Responder Bag") is a prototype I sewed for my own use but all three bags in that post have been picked up by Overland Outfitters and they tell me they'll be part of their "Spring Line", which they expect will become available in January.

Their smaller first aid bag has been available for about two years: https://www.quadratec.com/p/overland-outfitters/first-aid-grab-go-bag-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt

Reactions: Apparition
@jscherb

I will buy a black bag if it is large enough for my Viair 400P to fit comfortably with my 25' Flezxzilla hose. [Many of us have ditched the plastic coiled hose with a straight length of hose.]

I can provide the dimensions of the bag that came with my Viair 400P for reference if that would be of assistance to you or the manufacturer. The Flexzilla hose will fit inside that bag along with the compressor
A high quality bag for my 450P would be great, the Viair bag holds everything but doesn't feel like it will last forever
I need to look into the Flexzilla hose, are you using the 25' coiled poly hose?

Last edited:
They're already advertising the cutlery bag, I just got their newsletter an hour ago. I'm more intrigued by their "tailgate organizer". As for color, hot pink FTW! ;)

They're already advertising the cutlery bag, I just got their newsletter an hour ago. I'm more intrigued by their "tailgate organizer". As for color, hot pink FTW! ;)
They've never mentioned pink to me before, I doubt that's in their plans :).

I got their email a hour ago as well - the cutlery product they're advertising is their "cutlery keeper", it's like a tool roll for cutlery and can hang on a window or tailgate:

CutleryOnHardtopWindow.jpg

That email is also here: https://static-promote.weebly.com/share/cdece34b-0b1b-465b-b7b9-a0ed4b41103d

I will take photos of everything this afternoon and send them to you by private message. I'll try to stage some photos both with the supplied yellow coiled hose and also the replacement Flexzilla hose so you can see how everything fits in the "factory bag" with either option.
I was in Tractor Supply this morning and noticed that they carry Flexzilla hoses so I checked them out. They only had a 50' hose in stock but based on that I'm confident a 25' Flexzilla hose would fit in the bag just fine alongside a compressor.

I emailed the Compressor Bag design, patterns and sewing details to Overland Outfitters this morning but if you did take the photos and can send them to me it would still be helpful, I could verify everything before they start cutting fabric.

Reactions: Apparition
I didn't get to my 400P kit until the evening, so I'm late with the photos.

A 25' Flexzilla hose will fit in the Viair bag, but tightly. The reason so many are now using Flexzilla or similar air hoses is that they are easier to handle than a coiled hose, don't take up much more room if anymore at all, and they are repairable in the field.

The bag itself has a 12x7x9h main compartment and a 12x4x4 outside zippered pouch for the coiled hose. There are two pockets on the sides for air gauges and other stuff, but they are relatively useless. If the bag were 12x9x9 there would be enough room inside for the compressor, hose and and inside pocket for air gauges, deflators, etc. and there would be no need for the 12x4x4 outside pocket - perhaps a zipper or zipper and flap to an inside pocket instead.

The big issue is a hot compressor after use - in order to put a hose of any type or brand in the bag without damaging the hose or the bag there is wait time until the compressor head cools down enough. I resolved that with a 12"x12" welding blanket I found on Amazon that I drape over the hot compressor to insulate it from the bag and other contents until the compressor cools - I just put the hot compressor in the bag, lay the welding blanket over the hot compressor head, put the Flexzilla hose on top of the welding blanket, stow my filled and zippered compressor bag with hot compressor inside, and get on with what I am doing. [At least that's what I did before I acquired a used Viair 400H compressor that is now hard mounted under the hood of my jeep. My 400P kit is now a spare.]

The other issue the the flap and carry handle. All the Viair bags are the same design, which relies on two plastic fasteners for strength. I would think a handle made from webbing that extends all the way around the bag cradles the bag from underneath would be considerably stronger and better for something the weight of a compressor and accessories.

Viair bag closed.jpgViar bag with 400P inside.jpgViar bag showing outside pocket.jpgFlexzilla 25' hose with quick disconnect and open flow air chuck.jpgViair bag with coil hose in zippered compartment.jpg

Viair bag with Flexzilla hose.jpg

Links to the 400P kit, Flexzilla hose, open flow air chuck, and the 12x12 welding blanket:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X9AXR8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R8BOWS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017S44ARO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYZXPHK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Reactions: jgaz and psrivats
I didn't get to my 400P kit until the evening, so I'm late with the photos.

A 25' Flexzilla hose will fit in the Viair bag, but tightly. The reason so many are now using Flexzilla or similar air hoses is that they are easier to handle than a coiled hose, don't take up much more room if anymore at all, and they are repairable in the field.

The bag itself has a 12x7x9h main compartment and a 12x4x4 outside zippered pouch for the coiled hose. There are two pockets on the sides for air gauges and other stuff, but they are relatively useless. If the bag were 12x9x9 there would be enough room inside for the compressor, hose and and inside pocket for air gauges, deflators, etc. and there would be no need for the 12x4x4 outside pocket - perhaps a zipper or zipper and flap to an inside pocket instead.

The big issue is a hot compressor after use - in order to put a hose of any type or brand in the bag without damaging the hose or the bag there is wait time until the compressor head cools down enough. I resolved that with a 12"x12" welding blanket I found on Amazon that I drape over the hot compressor to insulate it from the bag and other contents until the compressor cools - I just put the hot compressor in the bag, lay the welding blanket over the hot compressor head, put the Flexzilla hose on top of the welding blanket, stow my filled and zippered compressor bag with hot compressor inside, and get on with what I am doing. [At least that's what I did before I acquired a used Viair 400H compressor that is now hard mounted under the hood of my jeep. My 400P kit is now a spare.]

The other issue the the flap and carry handle. All the Viair bags are the same design, which relies on two plastic fasteners for strength. I would think a handle made from webbing that extends all the way around the bag cradles the bag from underneath would be considerably stronger and better for something the weight of a compressor and accessories.

View attachment 209075View attachment 209076View attachment 209077View attachment 209078View attachment 209080

View attachment 209079

Links to the 400P kit, Flexzilla hose, open flow air chuck, and the 12x12 welding blanket:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X9AXR8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R8BOWS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017S44ARO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYZXPHK/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Thanks for the photos! Very helpful. The inside dimensions of my bag design are larger than the ViAir bag so if the hose fits in the ViAir bag it'll fit in this bag design more easily.

Rather than a blanket to protect the hose, maybe a bag that the hose could slip into? That would keep the hose more organized inside the bag as well.

This bag design doesn't rely on plastic clips to hold the top closed so that's not a problem. For this prototype I actually sewed three types of handles in place - a shoulder strap, a pair of handles made from 1 1/2" webbing that attach to the sides of the bag, and a single handle sewed to the top of the bag. I put all three types on the prototype to see which would be most useful and based on my use of it so far I told the folks at Overland Outfitters that I rarely used the single handle on the top of the bag so they could eliminate that one if they wanted to. This photo shows all of the handles...

CompressorBagHandles.jpg

Thanks again for the photos, much appreciated.

Reactions: jgaz and Apparition
Rather than a blanket to protect the hose, maybe a bag that the hose could slip into? That would keep the hose more organized inside the bag as well.

For this prototype I actually sewed three types of handles in place - a shoulder strap, a pair of handles made from 1 1/2" webbing that attach to the sides of the bag, and a single handle sewed to the top of the bag. This photo shows all of the handles...

View attachment 209085

Thanks again for the photos, much appreciated.

Perhaps a sewn in (or zippered in) protective flap rather than a bag for the hose? Might be less expensive to manufacture and nothing to get lost if sewn in.

As far as handles, I doubt I would ever use the shoulder strap. [I have a box full of shoulder straps from various bags.] I would likely place a bag like this in the footwell behind the drivers seat so it is likely that I would use the single handle when reaching in to retrieve it, although the two short straps would probably be just as useful.

@Mr. Bills, that’s a great idea using the small welding blanket as a heat shield. I carry that exact Viair portable in my tow rig, and I think putting it away hot would definitely damage the hose or even the bag (Viair‘s bag - not Jeff’s).

Jeff - nice work on sewing up that bag. I’ve followed your sewing projects since back when you got the industrial machine on that other forum. I’m knee deep in a ring and pinion swap on my rig right now, and I’m envious about how clean a nice sewing project would be.

Fine work as usual.

Jeff

I’d be in for a compressor bag. The color isn’t important to me.

I’d be in for a compressor bag. The color isn’t important to me.
I think they'll make some in tan and some in black in a small first production run.

My contact at Overland Outfitters tells me they're making a preproduction prototype now; when it's done they'll send it to me for verification and testing. I'll post photos when I get it. They're also in the process of making preproduction prototypes of the 3 other bags I showed a few days ago, I expect they won't send me any of them until they finish all 4 prototypes.

Single handle is easier to grab than two, as long as it's strong enough. Also, I agree the shoulder strap would not get used.
The single top strap is plenty strong enough.

I use the shoulder strap regularly when carrying the bag from one place to another because the shoulder strap leaves both hands free to carry other things. I can tell Overland Outfitters to eliminate any of the straps/handles from the production version if people don't want them, but having used this bag I would miss the shoulder strap.

The strap may be useful for many, just not useful for how I would use the bag.

Also, just because I have a bag of spare straps I don't use doesn't mean I wouldn't want one for my air up bag "just in case." They don't add that much to the manufacturing cost and customers have become accustomed to a strap being supplied with anything that resembles luggage or a carry bag so customers might object if one isn't supplied.

Speaking only for myself, I never use shoulder straps. They're uncomfortable to me and/or slide off! But many/most like 'em, so I'd keep 'em on the product myself.

Overland Outfitters seems to be moving quickly on the compressor bag, they sent me some photos of what they call a "mock sample". A mock sample is the first work they do after receiving patterns, drawings and construction details from me. It's a very rough sample, sometimes not made from final materials, so they can build their own production patterns and sewing workflow for the product. Sewing for the mock sample is sometimes rough, and once they finish the mock sample they'll use the patterns they've developed from it to sew a preproduction sample which is complete and final quality. They'll send the preproduction sample to me to verify and test before starting production.

This is what they've said to me about these photos:

This is a mock sample, making another final sample, pockets will be fixed, used leather piping, added shoulder pad on strap, YKK vislon zippers will be used in final one.

This mock sample is done in heavy black canvas with leather accents. I did my prototype without accents but they typically add refinements like that to the final product.

These aren't the best photos but they give some idea of what a final bag would look like in black.

MockSample.jpg

The Flexzilla hose sounded like a better idea than the coiled hose I was using so I ordered one, it arrived yesterday. It fits in the bag just fine.

CompressorBagFlexZilla.jpg

I also sewed a pouch to store the hose in, this will protect it when it's put back in the bag when the compressor is warm.

CompressorBagFlexZillaBag.jpg