On-board air in a bag

That project was about designing a useful, compact tool bag to carry a common set of tools I use a lot. It wasn't intended to replace a full tool bag, it was just to be a bag to hold and organize the most common tools I use. It had to be compact, and have good organization inside to make selecting the right tool quick and easy instead of rooting around in a bag.

The shell of the bag was sewed by a contact sewing company in India that does a lot of work for companies like Rothco. I collaborated with them on the project when I was in India a year or so ago. After they sewed the shell to my design I took it and sewed the inside tool holders and I added the attachments on the rear. I've been using it in my Jeep ever since and it's extremely handy.

Here's how it works:

View attachment 208023

It's got Molle straps on the back as well as a belt clip/Grab & Go clip so you can hang it on your belt or you can hang it on a suitably strong Molle panel.
what if you had a permanently mounted tank and quick detach coupling on a PORTABLE DOUBLE COMPRESSOR mounted in the bag

I'd start getting cranky if it took me more than about ten minutes which is double what it takes me now. Before I knew anything about trail compressors, I bought my first compressor which was a Truck Air. I was in for a rude awakening when I discovered it took 45 minutes to reinflate four 32" tires from 12 to 30 psi after 3 days in Death Valley.

Hearing a Jeeper's tiny compressor drone on for 45 minutes on a Sunday morning in a campground when I'm trying to sleep in a little doesn't make me happy.
My wheeling buddies still can't believe how fast my co2 tank fills. I'm done in 2 mins flat and silent as could be. They spent over $600 installing twin arb's and are very jealous.

Holy cow 45 minutes! That's not acceptable at all.

My two tires at once setup and Viair 88 will do 2 tires in 4-5 minutes.

A Viair 400 series compressor can air up a "metric 35" from 10-12 psi to 26 psi in about 2:45-3:00. Airing up all four takes me about 15 minutes from start to finish, including getting the hose from its bag at the beginning and putting it away at the end with only a moderate amount of kibbitzing in between.

Since duty cycle was mentioned earlier, the above example illustrates why a 100% duty cycle isn't necessarily a critical attribute depending upon how "duty cycle" is defined and if the compressor puts out enough volume to fill enough tires to the desired pressure within that cycle.

Viair rates the 400 series at a 33% duty cycle at 100 psi - almost four times the maximum pressure it will likely see if airing up oversized jeep tires. [Viair defines a 33% duty cycle as a one hour period with 20 minutes run time followed by a 40 minute cool down.]

With a CFM rating of 2.20 @ 0 psi/1.98 @ 20 psi/1.86 @ 30 psi, a Viair 400 is theoretically fast enough to fill two sets of "metric 35's" [8 tires] before it reaches its 20 minute duty cycle and that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that the duty cycle is computed at 4 times the pressure when the compressor is working considerably harder and generating more heat. Viair technical support will acknowledge that the safe run time is longer at pressures lower than 100 psi, but without their own testing and verification are not in a position to say how much longer.

I can attest that a Viair 400 can air up eight 35's before needing to be shut down, but it is working hard and getting pretty hot for tires 7 and 8. The second set definitely takes longer than the first.

Here’s a guy who aired up his 37’s on 16” wheels from 10 psi (some from 9) to 36+ psi in about 11 minutes. Dual viair 485c’s and a 5 gallon tank.

I have the bag system but went onboard with a tank and 480C but have a 485C waiting to be installed.

@jscherb

Getting back on topic, did you size your bag to fit some of the larger 12v compressors like the bigger Viairs or Smittybilts?

I would think there would be a quite a market for owners of the portable kits who would ditch the crappy bag that came with the kit in favor of your design.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Thanks for your reply!

I hope we see someone pick up and market your design. And mention that the patch is part of the design, as in the product name and not a catchy slogan. I think it would set it apart from the competition.

Please keep us informed 😸

@jscherb

Getting back on topic, did you size your bag to fit some of the larger 12v compressors like the bigger Viairs or Smittybilts?

I would think there would be a quite a market for owners of the portable kits who would ditch the crappy bag that came with the kit in favor of your design.

I did a lot of research on compressor sizes before I finalized the design so I believe the bag is properly sized for pretty much any reasonable portable compressor on the market. But if it were to go into production I could redo the research to make sure I haven't missed anything important.

I bought a compressor bag from a well-known company while I was doing the design on this one, I thought it might be good to see something that's on the market. I won't mention their name but I was shocked at how weak and cheap the bag was. If that bag is typical of what's out there, there may just be a market for a strong, quality bag with some useful features.

I hope we see someone pick up and market your design. And mention that the patch is part of the design, as in the product name and not a catchy slogan. I think it would set it apart from the competition.

Please keep us informed 😸

I would like to see the patch stay as part of the design, I think it's a fun element to an otherwise functional design.

If there's enough interest in a bag like this I could see if any of the companies that have picked up designs from me in the past might be interested in it.

Recently I did a series of bags intended to support overlanding/camping and those have just gotten picked up by a company, they say they're going to make them part of their "spring line" of new products. I haven't posted about those designs in this forum because it doesn't seem like there's all that much interest in overlanding/camping here.

I am interested in both of the bags (like the patch too). Please let me know when you have pricing/availability.

I haven't posted about those designs in this forum because it doesn't seem like there's all that much interest in overlanding/camping here.

Just because the rockcrawlers are such a vocal subset and rockcrawling photos sell more magazines doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of overlanders on this forum.

They just don't want anyone to call them overlanders.

I think there’s a market for the compressor bag and would be interested if it came to market

I think there’s a market for the compressor bag and would be interested if it came to market
I talked to Overland Outfitters about it yesterday and it sounds like they're willing to make a small quantity of the compressor bags to test the market. They asked me what color they should produce them in - I did my prototype in military olive drab because I felt like doing something with a military theme, but the standard colors OO uses are tan and black - photos of some of their bags are below. They can do black and tan quickly because they have lots of that in stock; olive drab would take a while.

I've suggested they do them in black but let me know what you guys think and I'll pass your comments along to them.

A couple of their tan bags in my LJ and JKU:

GSSBagsInLJ.jpg

NewBagsJKU_zps3sxizwxf.jpg

Their tool roll in black:

ToolRoll3_zpsatj66hyn.jpg

ToolRoll1_zpsap4ynjqk.jpg

Their roll bag bag in black in a Gladiator:

GladiatorRearVertical.jpg

It looks to me like you put something together that duplicates a Harbor Freight compressor that comes with a bag and hose just like what you have there. The compressor might be a bit better but my HF compressor has been faithfully airing up my tires for going on 4 years and that's not too bad for a $129 investment. I see no need for the tank since the compressor is just filling it before you air the tires. Nice bag and badges though.

I believe that a 100% duty cycle is critical for a Jeep application - having a compressor that has a 50% or 30% duty cycle will require far too much time to cool down between airing up 4 tires to be useful (or if you skip the duty cycle and run it continuously it won't have a very long life).
It's early in the AM and I'm only 1/2-cup deep into the pot (of coffee!), but this isn't necessarily accurate. The duty cycles are typically rated at a stated pressure (100 psig is common) although some use max pressure. For filling tires, we are rarely operating at full-pressures and are typically somewhere between 20-30 psig.

Something like a Viair 420C has a 33% DC (at 100 psig) and a puts out 2.12 cfm @ 30 psig. Without having a reference handy, I would guess the duty cycle is at least double that at 30 psig, so at 66% you'd be able to run that compressor continuously for 40 minutes without stopping. Based on the speed of my 400P (which also has a 33% duty cycle), if going from 11 —> 30 psig, you'd be able to fill up 3+ Jeeps worth of tires before needing a 20 minute break :)

Coincidentally, I have filled 4 Jeeps worth of tires in a row without an issue on my 400P and that was in the heat of the early summer too (it was getting dark and a summer monsoon was rolling in, plus I had the family in the Jeep at the lake, so we were trying to boogie!). I previously had a hard-plumbed 450C and 1-gallon tank in my YJ and although it had a 100% duty cycle, it was annoying slow to fill 35"s.

IMG_6436.JPG

@jscherb

I will buy a black bag if it is large enough for my Viair 400P to fit comfortably with my 25' Flezxzilla hose. [Many of us have ditched the plastic coiled hose with a straight length of hose.]

I can provide the dimensions of the bag that came with my Viair 400P for reference if that would be of assistance to you or the manufacturer. The Flexzilla hose will fit inside that bag along with the compressor

Reactions: voodooridr
@jscherb the color wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but since I have a black interior I would prefer something other than that so it would stand out color-wise and be easier to locate.

@jscherb

I will buy a black bag if it is large enough for my Viair 400P to fit comfortably with my 25' Flezxzilla hose. [Many of us have ditched the plastic coiled hose with a straight length of hose.]

I can provide the dimensions of the bag that came with my Viair 400P for reference if that would be of assistance to you or the manufacturer. The Flexzilla hose will fit inside that bag along with the compressor
The bag as it's currently designed and built is plenty large enough for a Viair 400P, but I'm not familiar with the hose you mention - if you can provide dimensions of the stored hose (and if possible, a photo), I'll make sure the design can accomodate if it at all possible.
Thanks.

The
@jscherb the color wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but since I have a black interior I would prefer something other than that so it would stand out color-wise and be easier to locate.
The colors that are quick and easy for them to do are black and tan because that's the standard fabric for their other products. They also have red on hand because they also make a first aid bag so the compressor could be done in that as well, any other colors would take more time because they would have to source the fabric. They'd like to do this first small production run in one of the colors they have if possible, that would minimize the initial investment for them and would get something to market quicker.

Maybe tan or red? I could suggest that they do a few in tan and a few in black if people think those colors could be good. I would probably only suggest red if a number of people said they wanted that color.

1607442605710.png

Reactions: pc1p
The bag as it's currently designed and built is plenty large enough for a Viair 400P, but I'm not familiar with the hose you mention - if you can provide dimensions of the stored hose (and if possible, a photo), I'll make sure the design can accomodate if it at all possible.
Thanks.

I will take photos of everything this afternoon and send them to you by private message. I'll try to stage some photos both with the supplied yellow coiled hose and also the replacement Flexzilla hose so you can see how everything fits in the "factory bag" with either option.

I will take photos of everything this afternoon and send them to you by private message. I'll try to stage some photos both with the supplied yellow coiled hose and also the replacement Flexzilla hose so you can see how everything fits in the "factory bag" with either option.
Thank you!

BTW the other day you said:
Just because the rockcrawlers are such a vocal subset and rockcrawling photos sell more magazines doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of overlanders on this forum.

They just don't want anyone to call them overlanders.

So here are the other bags I did recently, these are focused on overlanding/camping rather than rock crawling.

The first is a kitchen organizer, it can hang on a hardtop or side window using suction cups or it can hang on a tree or tent using hooks, and it folds into a compact thickness for storage.

JKSuctionCups1.jpg

It stows nicely between the back seat and the front of the Trail Kitchen:

KitchenKeeperStowed.jpg

The pockets in the bottom half are sized for common condiments such as catsup, it's got places to hold spices and other meal prep supplies and the top is designed to hold cutlery.

The second bag is a toiletry bag, it's designed to carry more of the daily necessities than a typical small toiletry bag might (we all know people who need a ton of supplies to get ready in the morning, this bag should suit them just fine :)).

This one is a simlar format and also includes a work surface and a real glass mirror. It's got pockets for 8 TSA-sized bottles as well as a large pocket behind the mirror and several large pockets in the bottom half. It also can hang from a drop rail, tree, tent or from a window using suction cups.

NecessityBag.jpg

In addition to all of the storage inside, it's got zipper pockets on both sides on the outside.

NecessityBag3.jpg

And the third bag isn't specifically about overlanding/camping, it's a first aid bag intended for more serious use than the small first aid bags many of us carry. It also can hang from all the same places...

FirstResponderDripRail.jpg

It's designed for quick access to key medical supplies and has enough capacility that it should be useful for many first responders.

FirstResponderContents2.jpg

FirstResponderAndCampCabinet.jpg

PortfolioSeries.jpg

If there are overlanders/campers here maybe they'll find these designs useful.