Operation Phoenix

I will shout this lesson out to the world..."roll bar" padding...most importantly the one just to the left of your head. Find it, keep it, fix it. Unless you're in a full face helmet whacking your head on that bar fucking hurts.

What IS the best option available now? Mine is missing there...

Oh no what a horrifying story, SO sorry about all that!!! As for road service, I'll never go with anyone but AAA... they are the BEST. And if you take long trips, get the AAA's Premier membership which is good for up to 200 miles. I had that when my transmission crapped out 180 miles from home and it saved me a $1800 tow truck bill according to the tow truck driver.

AAA service must differ state to state. I broke an axle in my car and waited over 4 hours for them to show up. The tow truck driver wouldn't give me a ride home after I told him what I thought about the service.😇🤬

Not sure about where you live but, AAA just contracts with whom ever they can get out here in the middle of BFE.

Not sure about where you live but, AAA just contracts with whom ever they can get out here in the middle of BFE.

I've always pictured it working a lot like the healthcare industry, the "provider" prioritizing the job based on how much they get for it, and insurance companies being insurance companies probably don't pay the same as a private individual.

I've only used it once but when I needed a tow on my insurance, I waited about an hour.

damn it boy! glad y’all are all ok and you got your dog back. hopefully you’ll find another jeep and keep breaking shit. in the meantime don’t worry about breaking shit, i’ve got that covered! RIP sister, fly high.

This just in...B and R my local junkyard has a frame and tub for $1300.

I can strip my Jeep this weekend and prep for next week... transfer everything over...

July 10th... that's when we're leaving.

Anyone wanna entertain my insanity PM me. All the beer and pizza you want.

-Mac

If I lived nearby, I'd be there. I love a wrench fest...especially with beer and pizza.

AAA service must differ state to state. I broke an axle in my car and waited over 4 hours for them to show up. The tow truck driver wouldn't give me a ride home after I told him what I thought about the service.😇🤬

I've given up on AAA, and I've been a member since 1984. Absolutely HORRID service, and expensive too. I get the equivalent of the "Plus" membership for $60/yr (3 cars) from my InsCo - I've already used it once, and the tow truck showed up right away - unlike AAA's response the last few years.

Looking at some Jeeps in the area. We have plans, friends, reservations for a huge trip to Vancouver Island and then home down the Washington BDR. My government job made me take escape and evasion training because Canada is still considered a foreign country.
Wow, worked with a guy who has family in Canada and the AF didn't have any issues with him going there.

Apparently you need to call mace "bear spray" or you will get questioned and the mace will be confiscated.

Also, they seem to be confiscating folding knives now if there's anyway they can get them to flip open.... crazy.

Would love to join the wrenchfest, but I'm in GA.

Wow, worked with a guy who has family in Canada and the AF didn't have any issues with him going there.

Apparently you need to call mace "bear spray" or you will get questioned and the mace will be confiscated.

Also, they seem to be confiscating folding knives now if there's anyway they can get them to flip open.... crazy.

Would love to join the wrenchfest, but I'm in GA.

my dad still loves telling the story of when he was a kid (late 50s, maybe early 60s) and they went on a family vacation and my grandpa forgot he had a .22 revolver in the car. The Canadians at the border held on to it and gave it back to him when they came back into the US. Doubt you get that level of service today.

Some day I'll tell the story of what happens when you take a snowmobile to the Northwest Angle in MN and the Canadian border guard manning the phone (you check into Canada at a phone booth!) forgets to mark your entry in their database! Hint: you get a letter stating you entered the country illegally and owe thousands of dollars in fines and must surrender your vehicle (which was a development snowmobile that had already been crushed because it took months for them to track me down). That's the gist of a much longer story...

Last edited:
Almost home...

IMG20230629201616.jpg

IMG20230629201611.jpg

IMG20230629201606.jpg

IMG20230629201602.jpg

IMG20230629201555.jpg

IMG20230629201606.jpg

IMG20230629201602.jpg

IMG20230629201555.jpg

Well first I really hate to hear about your sister- I hate to see people die before their time. 35 is young.

I know the trip had to have had a little heaviness to start with.

At the same time I just love your spirit behind the whole thing- On the trip with the top off, camping, taking the scenic route.

Doubt that story is going to be topped anytime soon. I got wet and muddy just reading it.