Overhead Switch Pod Recommendation

FadeToGray

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for an overhead switch pod to mount above the windshield for some aux lighting.

I know there are a lot out there on eBay and such, but can anyone recommend a specific one they've used (either from eBay or elsewhere)?

Just don't want to choose one from eBay and end up with a piece of junk.

Looking for 4 switches minimum.

Thanks for the help.

Spod. I have not personally used one of these but they look expensive but quality.

5E2A3B38-B023-4ED9-8299-1F48B7B20E7A.png

SPOD is your best option. Me being cheap got a 3D printed piece off ebay for way more than its worth and then dremeled it on, believe the brand was S-tech. Took a bit of effort, but in the end it was worth the money I saved.

20190320_220334.jpg

I have the SPOD and will be removing the overhead switch portion of the system and relocating the switches to the factory location, below the A/C controls. The main reason is the SPOD switches don't play well with a bikini top header bar. You can make it work, but you have to unbolt the SPOD with panel to slide the bikini header bar behind the switch panel. You also have to relocate your sun visitors with the kit. The relocated sun visors don't play well with windshield mounted grad bars. The SPOD works great, the overhead switch location is terrible, in my opinion.

Of course, my Jeep is a 2001. Your Jeep is newer with trim molding on the windshield already. You may not experience the same problems I've had.

SPOD is your best option. Me being cheap got a 3D printed piece off ebay for way more than its worth and then dremeled it on, believe the brand was S-tech. Took a bit of effort, but in the end it was worth the money I saved.

View attachment 88914
Thanks for posting this. Been looking for a solution that goes overhead for a while and this fits the bill perfectly.

I have the SPOD and will be removing the overhead switch portion of the system and relocating the switches to the factory location, below the A/C controls. The main reason is the SPOD switches don't play well with a bikini top header bar. You can make it work, but you have to unbolt the SPOD with panel to slide the bikini header bar behind the switch panel. You also have to relocate your sun visitors with the kit. The relocated sun visors don't play well with windshield mounted grad bars. The SPOD works great, the overhead switch location is terrible, in my opinion.
like a bikini header that mounts to the windshield frame or one that just uses the paddles like a hard/soft top? I didn't think it moved the visor mounting points, just they're "clip in" point? Only asking because i also have a 2001 and liked the idea of the sPod.

I don't have any problems with my sPod and switching out my tops at all. I usually run a Safari Top all summer and a hard top all winter. I would think that the Safari and the Bikini Tops would attach to the windshield the same but I am be wrong. Mine is an 05 running Bestop products, again I have never had to move the sPod to switch tops

Spod3_zpsaab4965c.jpg

Iphone6 004.JPG

Reactions: Apparition and Vasq
I also run the sPod w/ air gauge on my ‘06. I haven’t encountered any issues while using my hard top, Trektop NX or my spider web shade tops.

I’ve switched out the switch covers with OTRATTW custom covers and even added a three way switch.

It’s not cheap but sPod is worth the money if you can swing it.

B5F1C85E-7988-4CFB-85A4-FCE67EAF116B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq
So what exactly do you have going on here? I was looking at that section of molding between the visors and thinking that you could fit switches in there without having to add any other housings. Is that what you did? Is there a good bit of room behind for wiring once you fit the switches in?
No mine is an SPod and yes there is room for the wires

104_zpsbb25b69d.JPG

999_zpsd5fe3b74.jpg

Spod5_zps40a9aad6.jpg

Reactions: Vasq
I really just interested in the control box. Id rather have my switches in the dash panel then overhead. But I also have a 99 so no windshield trim either.