"Pacing myself" build

Thanks @Alex01! I need to relocate my radio coax. I currently have it routed thru my main harness grommet, but it is too close to my 12 volt power wire to my stereo, so I'm getting some RF feedback in my stereo when I TX on the radio. Thought that would be a good place to route it. Just drill a hole in the plug and run the coax thru.
That's the same hole you'd also use to install a hand throttle.

• Love
Reactions: bobthetj03
I was going to just drill a hole in the plug. It's a hard plastic, so not soft rubber like a grommet plug. Suggestions?
I believe mine was rubber, but if it's plastic I'd just drill a hole. If you felt the need you could put some silicone or RTV around any remaining gap.

@Alex01, @Indy, or anyone else following, with a mobile HAM radio in their Jeep, what did you guys install, and where?
Icom 2730A with the Mars mod (let's you transmit on GMRS and a few others). The faceplate is detached so the unit is below my seat and the head + mic is above my rearview mirror.

Icom ID 4100. I installed the unit under the steering wheel behind the kick panel and the detachable screen in the storage area of the arm rest. My goal was to have it completely out of sight. The only thing you can see is the mic on the kick panel.

i also did the mars mod and added a blue tooth chip so i can us aprs with my android phone.
1643597270701700630727310085712.jpg
16435973044003936304298173507382.jpg

I have Yaesu FTM-400XDR with mars mod. The nice thing about this radio is how easy it is to use the APRS messaging.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014544
Welded up a quick mount for it. Controller is above the rear view mirror and the main unit is next to my head. Works very well since the speaker is right next to me. No need for external speaker.

IMG_20181228_113325.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any issues communicating on GMRS with your antennas? Assuming your antennas are tuned to 2M/70cm bands?

I run the Midland MXT275 GMRS, and have had good luck with it. All the controls are in the handset, and you can mount the box just about anywhere.

Jeep - GMRS Radio - 2-22-2021 (1).JPG

I mounted the box up under the dash in the driver's side footwell. I also have a similar type CB, the Cobra 75, mounted up there as well.

Jeep - GMRS Radio - 2-22-2021 (5).JPG

The mic hangs on the dash, and has a remote plug (RJ45, iirc) which is easy to disconnect when necessary.

Jeep - GMRS Radio - 2-22-2021 (4).JPG

I ditched the small antenna which comes with the unit, and installed a Laird antenna. A good antenna makes all the difference.

Jeep - GMRS Radio - 2-22-2021 (12).JPG

I also run a remote speaker, which I mounted above the rearview mirror, which makes a big difference in sound.

I run the Midland MXT275 GMRS, and have had good luck with it. All the controls are in the handset, and you can mount the box just about anywhere.

View attachment 306221

I mounted the box up under the dash in the driver's side footwell. I also have a similar type CB, the Cobra 75, mounted up there as well.

View attachment 306223

The mic hangs on the dash, and has a remote plug (RJ45, iirc) which is easy to disconnect when necessary.

View attachment 306222

I ditched the small antenna which comes with the unit, and installed a Laird antenna. A good antenna makes all the difference.

View attachment 306220

I also run a remote speaker, which I mounted above the rearview mirror, which makes a big difference in sound.
Let's talk more about that fancy throttle cable you gots there. We use those on our Durapatcher machines at work. They are not cheap!

Let's talk more about that fancy throttle cable you gots there. We use those on our Durapatcher machines at work. They are not cheap!

He has that for his onboard Premier Power welder that is in his glove box location. I've got the same cable waiting to get installed in mine. It comes with the welder kit.