"Pacing myself" build

I had that same problem with my KO2’s on my F250. We have a 300 yard crushed granite drive. I said, never again. Too much gravel in the garage. I imagine you’ll be fine though with your setup. I’ll probably run Duratracs when I move to WA. Someone around here used to sing their praises!
Why not the STT Pro's? What don't you like about those?

Why not the STT Pro's? What don't you like about those?
Not a thing. I love ❤️ them. Just thinking snow. Maybe STTs are good in snow too. The strengthened sidewalk of STTs is also a major reason I have them.

Reactions: ac_
My only gripe about these KO2's is the tighter lugs tend to hang on to gravel a bit more than the muds did. We'll see how they do wheeling in a couple weeks.

Never been a fan of those for 2 reasons. Lack of traction in the rain and uneven wear. Consistently an issue, and it is the tires not the cars, because I have had them on multiple cars. Now I usually run a more aggressive tread and been happier. I have had this conversation with @JMT, I have never had luck with them. I know others have because they are pretty popular, but I am way to hard on them.

My GMC has them now still about 50% left, and they are all over the place in the rain. I am contemplating replacing them with a set of Coopers. I used to run the BFG MTs, but I haven't really liked them either since they started KM2's. So I am not buying BFG's anymore. I am not sure why it seems that I am the only one that doesn't get along with them, but I really don't haha.

Reactions: JMT
Not a thing. I love ❤ them. Just thinking snow. Maybe STTs are good in snow too. The strengthened sidewalk of STTs is also a major reason I have them.
I say try them before you give up on them. I think they are a little more aggressive, and aired down I think you will be surprised at what they can do.

So my friend with the Tacoma showed up, so we went and played at Sycamore Creek, We found some mud to play in. Man those elockers didn't disappoint. Those things are great. It was great to finally get out, and test out my build. Those STT pros are sick too. I love the whole package, and I have a new found respect for the A/R. (I am leaning on the fence that I like the elockers better than the ARB's, not by much the end result is the same, but elockers are quick and quiet. almost seemless)

We went wheelin with the top and doors completely off. I took a friend from work and he said at first he wasn't sure about it, but decided he liked wheelin much better without doors. He said you can see so much more. It was a great day.

The only issue is it popped out of 4 high twice. It might be a problem with the linkage as I just put a clutch in it a couple weeks ago or I damaged something in the transfer case when I was running 4:88s in the rear and 4:56s in the front. I think I may have bent something inside the transfer case. I will probably crawl under and check the linkage, and if I don't seen anything, I will pull the transfer case when I get back from moab and check it out. I am not going to do it before the trip because I don't think I will need 4 hi at Moab, and I don't want to get stuck with it torn apart transfer case.

The two times it popped out I was off camber, so that is why I am thinking it could possibly be the linkage. I don' t feel a great detent from two hi to four hi and neutral, so I am thinking it is just popping into neutral becasue of something possible wrong with the rooster in side. Anyway, Not going to worry about it till summer.

It was a fun day I think the Jeep is tested, and ready to go now.

Reactions: lowranger and JMT
I say try them before you give up on them. I think they are a little more aggressive, and aired down I think you will be surprised at what they can do.

So my friend with the Tacoma showed up, so we went and played at Sycamore Creek, We found some mud to play in. Man those elockers didn't disappoint. Those things are great. It was great to finally get out, and test out my build. Those STT pros are sick too. I love the whole package, and I have a new found respect for the A/R. (I am leaning on the fence that I like the elockers better than the ARB's, not by much the end result is the same, but elockers are quick and quiet. almost seemless)

We went wheelin with the top and doors completely off. I took a friend from work and he said at first he wasn't sure about it, but decided he liked wheelin much better without doors. He said you can see so much more. It was a great day.

The only issue is it popped out of 4 high twice. It might be a problem with the linkage as I just put a clutch in it a couple weeks ago or I damaged something in the transfer case when I was running 4:88s in the rear and 4:56s in the front. I think I may have bent something inside the transfer case. I will probably crawl under and check the linkage, and if I don't seen anything, I will pull the transfer case when I get back from moab and check it out. I am not going to do it before the trip because I don't think I will need 4 hi at Moab, and I don't want to get stuck with it torn apart transfer case.

The two times it popped out I was off camber, so that is why I am thinking it could possibly be the linkage. I don' t feel a great detent from two hi to four hi and neutral, so I am thinking it is just popping into neutral becasue of something possible wrong with the rooster in side. Anyway, Not going to worry about it till summer.

It was a fun day I think the Jeep is tested, and ready to go now.
I’m constantly surprised with what the STT’s can do. I cant even express how elated I was today on teh trails on this one obstacle I always bypassed. I’ve watched JKU’s on 40’s and 37’s and a TJ on 37’s struggle on this one climb up a creek bed. It’s sick. And I literally walked up in 4 seconds. The Cherokee on 35’s spooled rear and lunchboxed front never made it up, He got so stuck on it he couldn’t go forward or backward. He was just sitting there at a 50%+ angle spinning either direction. I ended up winching him up. My friend Tim was standing there when I walked up it and his face was astonished. He was like, “How did you do that when the JKU’s on 37’s and even that TJ on 37’s struggled.” IDK, but I love my STT’s and lockers and 4.56 gears.

So glad you got out with your friend and the Tacoma and another buddy. You needed it man! I’ll move the rest of our convo to a PM...Lots more to come...E-lockers, yeah, can’t get enough of them.

I ran the 1st gen STT's and barely got 25k miles out of them. They performed excellent in off road situations, but sucked in the rain and were noisy as hell. I just don't do mud anymore, so other than the looks, I am just done with mud terrains. If Cooper made a skinny 33 in the ST MAXX tread, I'd give those a try. I have the Discoverer AT3's on our Rodeo, and they are doing fine, but not aggressive enough for the jeep.

Reactions: tomtaylz and JMT
I ran the 1st gen STT's and barely got 25k miles out of them. They performed excellent in off road situations, but sucked in the rain and were noisy as hell. I just don't do mud anymore, so other than the looks, I am just done with mud terrains. If Cooper made a skinny 33 in the ST MAXX tread, I'd give those a try. I have the Discoverer AT3's on our Rodeo, and they are doing fine, but not aggressive enough for the jeep.

I agree with the AT3's not being aggressive enough for the Jeep, but they will be great on my GMC. STT pros are technically sold as a all-terrains, I am not sure about the longevity yet, but I don't find them too noisy, although I have only really run the old BFG's MT's for most of my Jeeping career. So in comparison, I find them quiet for my standards.

I am interested in seeing your tire progress. honestly I have gotten less than 25K on KO2s, but not because they went bald but they cupped or had uneven wear. They are probably quieter though, I could see that.

I am actually stunned that you had issues with STT Pros in the rain. I actually don't, but mine are still really new too, we will see as time continues. I know I am a little different because I will put up with a little tire noise and vibration for a more aggressive AT, but I could see the appeal of a softer quieter ride. I haven't found that good balance yet.

I am thinking if these tires don't last as you say, then next time I might go full mudder, and look into the Maxxis or even the Interco's. I mean if I am going to have a tire that isn't going to last anyway, why not go full retard right?

The STT Pro is their second gen tire. I'm guessing they improved on it vs. the 1st gen STT, which I ran in a 32" tire. These KO2's will be the 4 different set of tires for the jeep. 1st set were BFG KM's, then the STT's, then KM2's, and now KO2's. The KM2's cupped pretty bad, and got really noisy, but I got 45k out of them, which is more to what I was expecting out of tire life.

See that is the same results only the opposite. I usually get full life out of the MT's and cupped AT's That is weird. Too much weirdness for me. I just go with a different brand now. Especially because I really liked those original MT's. You have had your Jeep a long time to go through so many tires and get 45K out of one. That is crazy. Although Mine came with cupped badly warn K02's then I bought the Duratracs, and ran them for a month then bought the STT pros, so I have almost when through as many tires as you haha. But I think I am done buying tires for a while. <crosses fingers>

I like Cooper tires. I have used various models, currently the ATP on my Silverado. Great tire all around. Almost ran em on the TJ but needed something a bit more aggressive when I run into a bit of the sloppy stuff.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Is this why you don't do mud anymore?
Oh Darn....I saved that picture. :)

Other than you reminding me of that day, I'm constantly reminded every time I look at the hood where my knee dented it.

And yes, that is why I don't do mud or mud pits anymore. That was an expensive day. Not as expensive as it was for Gene though.

So you'll be avoiding the mud pits in a few weeks..... As of now it looks like it's going to be a bit wet. When I checked yesterday it was sunny and 70 though so who knows. I'm hoping it goes back to 70. I'm looking for an excuse to remove the hardtop since it won't be on for Moab anyways.

Reactions: JMT
So you'll be avoiding the mud pits in a few weeks..... As of now it looks like it's going to be a bit wet. When I checked yesterday it was sunny and 70 though so who knows. I'm hoping it goes back to 70. I'm looking for an excuse to remove the hardtop since it won't be on for Moab anyways.

Yeah, gonna try to stay away from the slop best I can. These KO2's won't like that stuff anyways. I'll bring popcorn to watch the others have fun in it.

Yeah, gonna try to stay away from the slop best I can. These KO2's won't like that stuff anyways. I'll bring popcorn to watch the others have fun in it.

My C rated KO2 drive significantly better on the road than the E rated Nitto Trail Grapplers, once I fix the wandering the drive really is a lot better which make them worth it in my mind lol

With the amount of people we have going there is bound to be a show.

Reactions: DrDmoney