"Pacing myself" build

Lunch time shenanigans,
20200827_125747.jpg

Frankentrailer made for a good platform to paint them. They aren't perfect, but they are good enough for who they're for.

Took a chance today and drove the jeep to work sans 3 flares to clean up a few things. I did some paint touch ups to a few areas while having the flares off. The frame needed some touching up in a few spots where the rear splash shields had rubbed thru the paint on the frame. I replaced the nutsert I ripped out on the left rear flare. Put it up on the rack and touched up a bunch of spots I've been lazy to touch up. Also, trying to pinpoint an oil leak possibly from the transmission. Looks to be coming from the input shaft seal possibly. Gonna keep an eye on it for now. Wonder how long a NV3550 will go before it needs rebuilt?
I'm at 146K on mine, and I've already been into it for an input shaft. I think my synchros are starting to go to. I can't shift from rev to 1st while rolling anymore and I've been getting some grinding on my 2nd to 3rd if I'm not super deliberate. Issue with the NV and a rebuild is that it requires a special fixture to hold the main and countershafts. been watching Ebay. If I see one come up for 100 bucks or so, I'll probably jump on it. The fixture holds everything in alignment and you slide the case over the shafts. The fixture also holds the reverse idler, in position, which is nearly impossible to do without the fixture. The rest looks pretty easy to do.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I'm at 146K on mine, and I've already been into it for an input shaft. I think my synchros are starting to go to. I can't shift from rev to 1st while rolling anymore and I've been getting some grinding on my 2nd to 3rd if I'm not super deliberate. Issue with the NV and a rebuild is that it requires a special fixture to hold the main and countershafts. been watching Ebay. If I see one come up for 100 bucks or so, I'll probably jump on it. The fixture holds everything in alignment and you slide the case over the shafts. The fixture also holds the reverse idler, in position, which is nearly impossible to do without the fixture. The rest looks pretty easy to do.
Are you referring to a jig like @rraulston is using in his rebuild thread? https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/it-has-begun-my-attempt-at-rebuilding-my-6-speed-nsg370.39045/

Now try and keep them scratch free!
Not a chance that is happening. Clearly, you haven't wheeled with @bobthetj03 or you'd know he has a knack for finding tight trails that end with pinstriping. :p

They did come out absolutely amazing. Well done sir.

Thanks guys! I'm satisfied with them. I really like the sheen of hot rod black. It was pretty warm when I sprayed them, so a higher temp hardener would have helped.

Reactions: Indy
Are you and @tomtaylz catching all the smoke today from the fires ?
The North wind finally blew some smoke out of the valley so I could see the mountains......they on 🔥🔥🔥🔥:cry:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Alex01
Are you and @tomtaylz catching all the smoke today from the fires ?
The North wind finally blew the some out of the valley so I could see the mountains......they on 🔥🔥🔥🔥:cry:

I haven't been able to see shit for 10 days and counting so far! Smoke just sits in our fish bowl and hangs out. AQI's haven't been below 160 for days.

Yeah we’re pretty up and down. It was really bad in the Vacaville/Vallejo area driving home Sunday. We’ve been around 150 - 250 or so for two weeks. Occasionally get under 100 in the evenings but pretty rare.

So, I'll be getting some paint to match the jeep for Frankentrailer. I'm thinking about painting the headlight bezels to match. I've seen a few do it, and have mixed feelings about it. They are black bed liner now, but need redone. Thoughts?