"Pacing myself" build

Right side is mostly ready for paint.
20200812_123537.jpg

Got the left rear off today. The forward nutsert wanted to spin, so I had to rip it out. More spider nests, so I headed to work to take the pressure washer to it. Washed the jeep while I was at it.
20200823_153700.jpg
20200823_153651.jpg

Amazing how much packed in dirt there is in the hard to reach spots.

I'm not doing this again. I'll run these till I scar them up again, then just pony up for some new Rubi flares, and keep these for trail spares when I anticipate trail damage. Kind of like having a spare set of trail wheels/tires.
I've got $120 in materials. I work for free, but have invested more time than I care to.
20200823_175716.jpg

How do you like this? Does it make it harder to shut the door? I have a set my wife got me but haven’t decided if I want to install them yet.

They don't interfere with the door function at all. You can barely see them with the door shut. The hardest part was getting all the left over protective film off that the factory put on there. Mine was all beat up. I picked up a Dupli-Color scratch Fix paint pen today to clean up some chips. Haven't decided if I want to spend the effort doing some color correction or not. I've got a lot of pinstripes, many of which won't go away with compound alone. I want to get the hood repainted and my "knee" dent repaired, so we shall see. Eric at Premiere Auto Body said he'd fix the dent and paint the hood for $300. I couldn't even buy the materials for that!

They don't interfere with the door function at all. You can barely see them with the door shut. The hardest part was getting all the left over protective film off that the factory put on there. Mine was all beat up. I picked up a Dupli-Color scratch Fix paint pen today to clean up some chips. Haven't decided if I want to spend the effort doing some color correction or not. I've got a lot of pinstripes, many of which won't go away with compound alone. I want to get the hood repainted and my "knee" dent repaired, so we shall see. Eric at Premiere Auto Body said he'd fix the dent and paint the hood for $300. I couldn't even buy the materials for that!
That's a good price for the hood!

Reactions: bobthetj03
Took a chance today and drove the jeep to work sans 3 flares to clean up a few things. I did some paint touch ups to a few areas while having the flares off. The frame needed some touching up in a few spots where the rear splash shields had rubbed thru the paint on the frame. I replaced the nutsert I ripped out on the left rear flare. Put it up on the rack and touched up a bunch of spots I've been lazy to touch up. Also, trying to pinpoint an oil leak possibly from the transmission. Looks to be coming from the input shaft seal possibly. Gonna keep an eye on it for now. Wonder how long a NV3550 will go before it needs rebuilt?

Took a chance today and drove the jeep to work sans 3 flares to clean up a few things. I did some paint touch ups to a few areas while having the flares off. The frame needed some touching up in a few spots where the rear splash shields had rubbed thru the paint on the frame. I replaced the nutsert I ripped out on the left rear flare. Put it up on the rack and touched up a bunch of spots I've been lazy to touch up. Also, trying to pinpoint an oil leak possibly from the transmission. Looks to be coming from the input shaft seal possibly. Gonna keep an eye on it for now. Wonder how long a NV3550 will go before it needs rebuilt?
It seems like a lot of people swap out the nv3550 for an ax15 when it needs to be rebuilt. You can buy a new ax15 for around $1,500 from AA and people have reported the nv3550 is $400 in parts and around 1k in labor to rebuild.

Personally, I'd likely rebuild the nv3550 simply because I'd be too worried my crossmember wouldn't work if they weren't identical in size.

You reminded me though that I need to add a new clutch to my winter project list. As far as I know it's still on the original.

• Wow
Reactions: Indy and DrDmoney
My clutch lasted till 125K, but it probably would have gone further if it wasn't for the throwout bearing shitting the bed. It seized and started eating the pressure plate forks for lunch.
clutch.jpg

My clutch lasted till 125K, but it probably would have gone further if it wasn't for the throwout bearing shitting the bed. It seized and started eating the pressure plate forks for lunch.
View attachment 186443
In that case, I still have 20k to go lol. Hopefully, your new one lasts just as long. Have you passed 200k yet?