Painting a hardtop

That looks awesome. I'm going to check out a Mopar hardtop in a few days. Glad to see there are options available if it needs painting.

I painted my hardtop this summer. 1 quart of Sherwin Williams all surface enamel satin black. Used a roller and brush. Less than $40.00 and a couple beers.
20210720_164618.jpg
20210721_091507.jpg
20210805_190819.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun
Nothing special, just took my time, used a cheap medium nap roller and brush for the tight areas and a couple coats of the Sherwin Williams paint. Let it dry real good in the garage before handling. It was very hot and humid when I did it. It's a good 20 footer paint job!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Nothing special, just took my time, used a cheap medium nap roller and brush for the tight areas and a couple coats of the Sherwin Williams paint. Let it dry real good in the garage before handling. It was very hot and humid when I did it. It's a good 20 footer paint job!
How has it held up? Do you have recent pictures? I prefer using a roller because I'm good with that.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Just got my hard top and it needs painting. I really like how yours turned out but I need to see how it holds up.

I did my black hardtop with SEM trim black I didn’t do anything but wash the top first and then paint it. I’d say 2 cans should work fine. Mine is looking good 5 years later and it’s not garaged and my daily driver in the northeast.

I needed to do something quick and easy to make a 22 year old top look better. Followed the above method. Scotch pads with mild soap. Rinsed and dried with leaf blower. Did 3 coats of the SEM trim spray paint (I used about 3.5 cans but my top needed a lot of coverage). It’s definitely not perfect, but a huge improvement. Thanks for the advise everyone!

D83B2EBC-256A-4841-ADAB-873E6BA80C01.jpeg

2F05FB75-1FFE-4BF5-B1CD-A4894809F6BC.jpeg

I had my hardtop painted earlier this spring. Found a local shop that did the whole thing for $350 cash. He used Hot Rod black which is a satin finish. Picture below is when they finished painting, it's not as shiny now and looks 100% like the OEM finish IMO.

Resized_20220614_165108.jpeg

I just put another coat of SEM on mine after about 5 years. We use hot rod black quite a bit at work. That’s what I should paint mine with. I just don’t have the patience to prep everything. I’ve always got something to do on the jeep.

My TJ Rubicon came with a grey hardtop, I painted it black myself.

It took me about 4 hours worth of prep work (sanding and stripping the rear window off and masking). Then it took me a days worth of applying multiple coats of SEM trim black spray paint (the only stuff I'd recommend as far as spray paint goes).

Years later and it looks good as new. You'd never know that it didn't come black from the factory, it looks THAT good!

Does this spray paint look like factory black or is it more of a matte black

I wish I could find one.... :( If by some unlikely chance I do, I plan on coating it in Raptor Liner.