Passenger Seat Bumpers / Bushings

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

My passenger seat started rattling recently, and I've discovered that it's due to the sliding mechanism missing a bumper/washer near the front. It's circled in the pic below (not my seat). It appears to be about the size of a dime, several millimeters thick, and acts like a bumper to stop the sliding mechanism from rattling.

Anyone know what the name of this part is, and where I can find some?

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 4.32.41 PM.jpg

———

UPDATE: Better thread over here.

Last edited:
Thanks very much. That looks handy, but I also have to admit that my stomach turns at the idea of spending $20 for a bushing. Are there really no other options? I may go look at some hardware stores for something that would work.

These are basically just 3d printed plastic bushings. I'm not sure what the material is, but it's pretty dense stuff to me. I bought a full set when I noticed that my original ones had all but deteriorated. Install is easy, except for the hex bolt next to the transmission tunnel, which I'll get to eventually, but I've been putting it off because the bushings there are still intact.

How long they last is anybody's guess, but mine have been in for a few months now, and I've had no issues.

Thanks very much. That looks handy, but I also have to admit that my stomach turns at the idea of spending $20 for a bushing. Are there really no other options? I may go look at some hardware stores for something that would work.
Originally I fixed my seat by finding a plastic bushing in the bins of my hardware store. I had to do some dremel work to file it down some. It did fix the wobble but it's a softer nylon so it won't be as durable. There is a thread on another forum with some good pictures of how it is done. I'm not sure about linking other forums here so I will abstain. You can find it by doing a Google search for:
TJ fold and tumble seat nylon shim/bushing?

I had some round Delrin stock laying around so I turned a new set on the lathe. Works like a charm. Wife appreciates the passenger seat not moving around now. Delrin is tough stuff with great wear characteristics and low friction.

These are basically just 3d printed plastic bushings. I'm not sure what the material is, but it's pretty dense stuff to me. I bought a full set when I noticed that my original ones had all but deteriorated. Install is easy, except for the hex bolt next to the transmission tunnel, which I'll get to eventually, but I've been putting it off because the bushings there are still intact.

How long they last is anybody's guess, but mine have been in for a few months now, and I've had no issues.

I've replaced mine with the Stable Seat kit. I don't know why, but the drivers side near the transmission hump, the thin part you slip over the bushing has broken twice. He sent me replacements the first tie with a couple extras. I've had them on almost two years now.

Thanks for all the replies. I might go ahead and buy the set then.

Before I buy, I wonder, does anyone know the exact dimensions of these bushings? Might see what I can find at some nearby shops.

I stuffed some torn up paper towel around the front two shoulder bolts and it hasn't rattled since. Having worked with 3D printers costing upward of $100k, I wouldn't trust a bushing made on one more than I trust a paper towel to hold up.

259cd89a-fe21-4cfa-a6a7-3bc32e584b02-jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
I stuffed some torn up paper towel around the front two shoulder bolts and it hasn't rattled since. Having worked with 3D printers costing upward of $100k, I wouldn't trust a bushing made on one more than I trust a paper towel to hold up.

Ha, nice fix! Do the paper towels stay in place even when you use the sliding mechanism?

Ha, nice fix! Do the paper towels stay in place even when you use the sliding mechanism?
I’ve only slid it a few times now, but they stayed in place. It’s not a permanent solution by any means, especially if you’re using the slide feature a lot, but it keeps the seat from rattling until you can find a good bushing from the hardware store.

someone on here did a write up about sanding down a bushing they got from Ace Hardware to fit.

I rarely use the slide feature so I’ll be sticking with the paper towel fix

I see I never came back to this thread to close it. Saw another post about it here, and put my solution in post #12.

EDIT: Nah, these didn't hold up over time. I do use the slide mechanism a lot, so maybe this approach would work for others though.

Last edited:
Reactions: R1PPLE41
BEA08781-1A48-4104-AA74-922B231B818E.png

straight off of ebay. have no clue as to the quality, but for $12+ bucks i’d say they’re worth a try.