PC1P's 2006 Jeep LJ Build - Brünhilde

Our first trip to the South Carolina coast was a family success. The trip was somewhat short notice; the kids were itching to get away for a few days and the Mrs. just got a killer promotion at a new company (she went from Project Manager to QA/RA Program Director), so we found a room right on the coast and decided to take a few days to enjoy ourselves.

I think the next time we go back we will fly in and I'll get a Jeep as a rental - seemed like some nice opportunities to take the tops off (like we did in Maui) and cruise around in spring-time. Anyways, just wanting to share some pics from our adventure!
IMG_7532.jpg

DSC_3902 copy.jpg

The rare moment when they're not fighting, screaming, yelling, or arguing about stupid ass shit - AND - actually having some fun together!
278795197_5072742712801786_7952636883150149391_n.jpg

We spent some time at Huntington Beach State Park just south of Myrtle Beach. There was a ton of wildlife and the beach was gorgeous (much nicer and quieter than where we were staying in Myrtle Beach itself). I think we'll spend a lot more time here next time we go and maybe spend some time exploring the dunes as well.
DSC_3929 copy.jpg
DSC_3962 copy.jpg
DSC_4066 copy.jpg
DSC_4120 copy.jpg

Oh and I was last week years old when I realized that there were alligators in South Carolina!! I didn't realize that their territory went that far north on the coast...
278693333_5072747539467970_3269842095774113361_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hey @pc1p, I recently totaled my tj and bought an lj like your but bone stock and Id like to emulate your suspension setup. I read your parts list, but my question is: What shocks are you running, and I cant seem to find the 4 inch pro comp springs online would any 4 inch spring kit work? Thanks

Hey @pc1p, I recently totaled my tj and bought an lj like your but bone stock and Id like to emulate your suspension setup. I read your parts list, but my question is: What shocks are you running, and I cant seem to find the 4 inch pro comp springs online would any 4 inch spring kit work? Thanks
Hey bud!

Welcome to the LJ club :)

I'm not sure if ProComp is still making TJ springs but any decent 4" spring will do the job. If you have the budget, most folks are very happy with the 4" Currie Springs. I'm running Rancho 5000x shocks (Part#RS55255 and RS55256). If you have the $$, I would look at the Currie or Savvy 4" kit (if you're looking for 35"s at least).

Well summer is finally in full-force. It's been warm and seasonal (high 70's and low 80's up here at the lake) and the animals are doing their thing.

Our semi-resident bald eagle giving my the flyby. He frequently hunts at the lake and his juvenile shows up quite a bit as well.
IMG_8038.JPG

However, he has been getting harassed by the pair of Osprey that also hunt the lake.
DSC_5990 copy.jpg

I don't recall seeing many Osprey in this area before, so this is likely a good sign. When I lived here in the 90's and early 00's, Osprey were infrequent visitors and mainly stayed closer to the ocean or larger lakes. They're amazing to watch, but very frustrating to photograph. Their hunt success rate is ~70% for an adult, so you have to basically wait for them with camera in hand, spot them flying in (which is also hard as they fly below the tree line most times) and they will snag a fish without even blinking. The bald eagle on the other hand hunts how most XJ drivers wheel - sloppy (the 4-5 road sodas before the trailhead doesn't usually help!).
DSC_6481-gigapixel-standard-scale-4_00x-cropped.jpg

DSC_6451 copy.jpg

Our local critter-catcher that we've dubbed "Professor Snape" likes hanging out in our "bee garden" (I planted a bunch of wildflower seeds last year and again this spring for the bees and other pollinators). He's recently found a Mrs. and she appears to be nesting in a small cove on the side of the house in the stone wall. I let her be and keep things away. Meantime, me and Professor Snape see each other frequently. He seems to have gotten used to me, to the point where I have time to run back into my house and grab my camera. He then poses for me quite a bit as well...
IMG_7916.JPG

Of course, summer has also made for some excellent driving weather. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pull the top off yet due to having to keep the LJ parked outside for the time being (I'm doing a lot of work to the house, so I need the walking and staging space). The good news is that I'll have a dedicated 100A subpanel in the garage soon, so I'll be able to put my welder to use soon.
IMG_8159.jpg

I attempted to replace the RMS and OPG one last time and it was a failure. It still leaks as much as it did last time, which was the same amount that it leaked when I originally changed it. I even used a Victor Reinz seal and gasket this time, and a fresh bottle of Loctite Anaerobic 515 sealer, with no luck. My guess is that there is some defect with the crank (even though I can't feel one).

The engine only has ~71000 miles on it, but when I did the gasket the first time I noticed that there was a lot of play in the timing chain (I replaced it of course). This may have had an unpleasant life early on, so for now, I'm just going to deal with the leak (the UCF skid plate prevents it from dripping aggressively on my driveway and maybe I'll stuff one of those oil-only absorbent mats inside the skid to keep things cleaner). A V8 is still on my short list, so not gonna worry about it any more. It loses less than 1-QT per oil change, so not a nightmare to deal with (I'm just anal retentive about leaks).

IMG_8175.jpg

I was driving home from a work trip (semi local) and noticed a dirt road that went over the mountain by the exit to the highway. Since it was still somewhat early in the day, I decided to see where it went. I only went in about a mile or so, since there isn't great cell-service the deeper I went into the canyon and no one knew I was headed this way. There were also some decent rains earlier in the day and the trail was getting muddy.

It's only about 4 miles from the house (my house is just behind the saddle in the background, wrapping slightly up around the mountain to the left). I'll head back with my son one of these days - it seems like also a good spot to do some astrophotography and get some mild wheeling in.

IMG_8258.jpg

It was a cool (and very enjoyable!) spring, so I haven't painted the Savvy sliders yet but that's coming on my list soon. For my b-day last month, I went ahead and ordered the Husky brand floor and cargo liner. I gotta say, I really like these. I have used WeatherTech mats in almost every other car I have owned, including the Mrs. Grand Cherokee, but wanted to give the Husky liners a try since I think the lower-profile tread would work better with a manual transmission.

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8033.jpg

Speaking of the work trip that I took, I was able to fill up just before leaving the site and reset my odometer. I went 169 miles with 14.351 gallons of gas, bringing my calculated MPG to 11.78. Not terrible, considering I was driving between 70-80 mph most of the time (and was still getting passed - this place has basically turned into NJ!). My rolling average seems to be ~13 mpg (since by my house the speed limit is 55 mph). Obviously I'm not expecting good milage from a lifted LJ on 35"s, but it's nice to know mileage for trip planning purposes.
IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8270.jpg

My daughter is almost 15 and I've been letting her drive mom's Grand Cherokee in the parking lots and such. She asked if I could show her how to drive a manual, so of course I obliged. She did great and didn't stall once on take off (and she got quite good at feathering throttle and taking off quickly) but did forget to press the clutch and brake when coming to a stop a few times.
IMG_8299.jpg

That is some serious wildlife. Very cool. I like the rear tub liner. Your rear main seal issues is making me reconsider doing mine. I was going to replace it as a preventative maintenance thing (108,xxx miles) but I think I'll let it go till it shows signs of leaking.

Reactions: pc1p
Where do you live sir, if don’t mind sharing the general area. In process of relocating back to US and exploring options other than large city.

Where do you live sir, if don’t mind sharing the general area. In process of relocating back to US and exploring options other than large city.

Northeast Pennsylvania, aka "NEPA" ("knee-pa")... lots of lakes nearby, lots of local hunting spots, NYC is 2 hrs away, Philly is 2 hours away, small town feel with enough stuff nearby that we never feel isolated. I can drive to "town" in 15 minutes but still see the Milky Way off the back porch. I call it the "Goldilocks" spot :)

Only downside is lack of rock crawling areas close by...

As I begin prepping for my Savvy sliders, I decided that it was time to pull these extra wide flares off. Originally, I was worried that I would get harassed here by the local PD and the state vehicle inspectors. However, I've seen much, much worse setups than mine, including a number of TJ's that don't even have flares on the rear (and eBay tube fenders in front).
IMG_8517.jpg

I pulled each flare, touched up some paint behind them, replaced a few nutserts, and installed a set of discounted Rugged Ridge brand flares. Overall, I like the look much better...
IMG_8518.jpg

Next up, painting and installing the Savvy sliders and painting the hardtop...

Oh, and after almost 40 years - I finally learned how to bass fish from the shore! A local guy that I met at the lake while photographing the birds of prey showed me how to run a Texas and Carolina rig, plus my buddy won a box full of rubber baits from a local bait maker (570 Baits). I've been pulling in 15-18" bass almost every afternoon!
292081354_5308922365850485_7813336335437752796_n.jpg

Last edited:
How long were you on the wait list for savvy sliders? I've never been hassled (yet) by PA cops for wheels poking out past fender liners with various vehicles. the flare look good! You up for a rausch trip july 24?

As I begin prepping for my Savvy sliders, I decided that it was time to pull these extra wide flares off. Originally, I was worried that I would get harassed here by the local PD and the state vehicle inspectors. However, I've seen much, much worse setups than mine, including a number of TJ's that don't even have flares on the rear (and eBay tube fenders in front).
View attachment 342719

I pulled each flare, touched up some paint behind them, replaced a few nutserts, and installed a set of discounted Rugged Ridge brand flares. Overall, I like the look much better...
View attachment 342720

Next up, painting and installing the Savvy sliders and painting the hardtop...

Oh, and after almost 40 years - I finally learned how to bass fish from the shore! A local guy that I met at the lake while photographing the birds of prey showed me how to run a Texas and Carolina rig, plus my buddy won a box full of rubber baits from a local bait maker (570 Baits). I've been pulling in 15-18" bass almost every afternoon!
View attachment 342721

Have wide ass flares on mine and like the splatter coverage.
Sitting on my Savvy sliders hoping for another pair of hands to help out.

How long were you on the wait list for savvy sliders? I've never been hassled (yet) by PA cops for wheels poking out past fender liners with various vehicles. the flare look good! You up for a rausch trip july 24?

It took ~7 months to get them in... Unfortunately, when they arrived, it was just turning into winter and I didn't have a chance to paint them before winter fully set in. With our cold and damp spring, I was delayed a bit. Now that it's decently warm every day and I'm not too busy with kid or travel stuff, I figured now's the time to get them installed.

I'm up for Rausch for sure, but can't do 7/24 unfortunately (I'm getting back to town that Friday from a work trip and the Mrs. has a sleep study that Sat into Sun, so I gotta be around the house). You guys planning anything in Aug? Aug would be good since the kids are still out of school and I will likely have the sliders all painted and buttoned up by then...

Have wide ass flares on mine and like the splatter coverage.
Sitting on my Savvy sliders hoping for another pair of hands to help out.

I take the LJ out on some winter weather excursions, but I don't often drive in poor weather (even rain really), so I prefer the narrower/factory flare look. I'm also less likely for me to rip them off on a tree on the few narrow trails I've been on in the woods.

Second set of hands is a smart move - when I did my TJ, I did them by myself and even with a few pairs of stands and a large jack, a second set of hands would go a long way. A good spot weld drill bit is also a good investment if you don't happen to have one (that is a @mrblaine tip!)

• USA Proud
Reactions: Irun and RINC
I
I take the LJ out on some winter weather excursions, but I don't often drive in poor weather (even rain really), so I prefer the narrower/factory flare look. I'm also less likely for me to rip them off on a tree on the few narrow trails I've been on in the woods.

Second set of hands is a smart move - when I did my TJ, I did them by myself and even with a few pairs of stands and a large jack, a second set of hands would go a long way. A good spot weld drill bit is also a good investment if you don't happen to have one (that is a @mrblaine tip!)

I have all the recommended tools and hardware (have Blaine's tips and @Irun how to saves), just lack motivation in this 100* heat. Doubt I can motivate my wrenching buddies for a 5am project.

Reactions: Irun and pc1p
It took ~7 months to get them in... Unfortunately, when they arrived, it was just turning into winter and I didn't have a chance to paint them before winter fully set in. With our cold and damp spring, I was delayed a bit. Now that it's decently warm every day and I'm not too busy with kid or travel stuff, I figured now's the time to get them installed.

I'm up for Rausch for sure, but can't do 7/24 unfortunately (I'm getting back to town that Friday from a work trip and the Mrs. has a sleep study that Sat into Sun, so I gotta be around the house). You guys planning anything in Aug? Aug would be good since the kids are still out of school and I will likely have the sliders all painted and buttoned up by then...

Pick a weekend I'm pretty open as long as I have 2 weeks notice.