PC1P's 2006 Jeep LJ Build - Brünhilde

I had an old "jeep door" search saved in my Facebook Marketplace profile that finally got a hit!
IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

Krylon green over what I think is Jeep "emerald green", suggesting that these are from an earlier model year. No worries though as I now have some personal contacts that can paint these to match my LJ at a reasonable cost.

I paid $400 which isn't bad considering I'll probably sell the sliding uppers for half that (if not more). The doors have to be one of the straightest sets I have ever seen - not even a dent. I'll probably sell the sliding uppers and either paint the interior panels charcoal to match my LJ's interior, or find a set of replacements somewhere. A quick wipe down showed that the panels are filthy, but overall in really nice shape. The owner didn't have a set of keys but from the experience with my TJ, it's easy to have them rekeyed to match my current locks.

After a few weeks of 50º weather in early December, we finally have hit some winter weather (or as our SoCal compatriots call it "2WD driving weather")...

IMG_6512.JPG

This little squall came out of nowhere the other day; it was forecasted as "partially sunny and clearing up" but the Great Lakes were all like "hold my Hot Toddy"...

Some impressions driving the LJ in the white stuff (as there is always a lot of talk about TJ's on snowy roads):
- the MTRs aren't as terrible as I was expecting (I did air them down to 26 and will probably go 24 once I can get the ice off them!). On snowy roads, they grip like you'd expect a MT tire to. On ice - where I was really worried - they had a modest amount of grip. Not great by a long shot (I'm still leaning towards replacing them with an AT, maybe a Duratrac or KO2) but not nearly as bad as I remember my old BFG M/Ts from 20 years ago.
- the LJ wheelbase seems to add some stability around corners; I never had a TJ in snow but did my fair share of donuts with a CJ in the past and it was very easy to get the back-end loose - a little too easy at times. The LJ feels much more controlled as I was playing around in the open parking lot nearby
- the heater is surprisingly good; it was 11º the other day and after a 10 minute drive, the LJ was quite warm (to the point where I pulled my coat off).
- it may just be my butt-dyno being poorly calibrated, but I think the heavy flywheel I installed helps control rev speed more than I was expecting. I can break the tires loose at will but on an icy hill (aka my driveway), it certainly seems to moderate how much and how fast the engine will rev. It also is impressive how low it will idle up a steep icy driveway in 4Lo without any throttle input!

We've got ~6-8" coming this weekend, so I hope to get out and play a bit more then too :)

After a few weeks of 50º weather in early December, we finally have hit some winter weather (or as our SoCal compatriots call it "2WD driving weather")...

View attachment 301897

This little squall came out of nowhere the other day; it was forecasted as "partially sunny and clearing up" but the Great Lakes were all like "hold my Hot Toddy"...

Some impressions driving the LJ in the white stuff (as there is always a lot of talk about TJ's on snowy roads):
- the MTRs aren't as terrible as I was expecting (I did air them down to 26 and will probably go 24 once I can get the ice off them!). On snowy roads, they grip like you'd expect a MT tire to. On ice - where I was really worried - they had a modest amount of grip. Not great by a long shot (I'm still leaning towards replacing them with an AT, maybe a Duratrac or KO2) but not nearly as bad as I remember my old BFG M/Ts from 20 years ago.
- the LJ wheelbase seems to add some stability around corners; I never had a TJ in snow but did my fair share of donuts with a CJ in the past and it was very easy to get the back-end loose - a little too easy at times. The LJ feels much more controlled as I was playing around in the open parking lot nearby
- the heater is surprisingly good; it was 11º the other day and after a 10 minute drive, the LJ was quite warm (to the point where I pulled my coat off).
- it may just be my butt-dyno being poorly calibrated, but I think the heavy flywheel I installed helps control rev speed more than I was expecting. I can break the tires loose at will but on an icy hill (aka my driveway), it certainly seems to moderate how much and how fast the engine will rev. It also is impressive how low it will idle up a steep icy driveway in 4Lo without any throttle input!

We've got ~6-8" coming this weekend, so I hope to get out and play a bit more then too :)
Dude, ya shoudda dropped a stop or two on that photo…

😉

• Haha
Reactions: psrivats and pc1p

View attachment 301897

The KO2s would be markedly better than an MT tire. When I bought the jeep, the PO had MTs and I bought the vehicle in Feb or March, I barely had time to do the basic stuff (fluids,brakes,alignment etc) and I remember we still got a small snow event here that year after I got the jeep . The MTs (Toyos) I had there were plain terrible on the ice and even in heavy rain I was not a fan. I got duratracs that year and they were much better in wet weather and snow/ice. Eventually replaced them with KO2s when I got 5x5.5 conversion since the duratracs started getting loud. So far I love the KO2s, I don't think I will run duratracs again.

Reactions: pc1p

View attachment 301897

I'll straight up trade you my KO2's. No No No. My pleasure. I want to see you and yours get through the harsh winter safely.

I was very very happy with the Kumho MT tires I had on the JKU. The siping was acceptable and gripped in the ice we get here in NY. Currently the only other Jeep with MTs is the TJ and two years of ice and snow with the Pro-Comp Xtremes and I cannot justify swapping them. They have been great in the rain, mush and icy/wintry mix. The landy has the BF Goodrich KO2s in 235/85/16 and they are better, yet haven't driven them as much because of my back. Once I get the power steering conversion I will drive it daily(longer wheelbase and narrower tires, plus diesel OM617)

We had some more "2WD driving weather" earlier in the week, about 6" total overnight and 1" more the next day. I wanted to go drive to the lake (not the one I'm on, the larger one down the road), but it was blocked off to keep idiots away.

TWL_1458.JPG

Driving more and more on the MT/Rs in the snow and they're still better than I expected but still a M/T tire. I forgot to air down some more (currently 28 psig, was gonna go 24 psig) but didn't have any issues. Traction breaks loose and comes back as expected and is controllable in skids/drifts. Not what I'd pick for lots of highway or back road driving, but in +6" of fresh powder, the LJ is quite the beast!

TWL_1467.JPG

Pulled over to snap some pretty light falling on a barn I'm in love with down the block, so of course I had to turn around and get a snap of the Jeep (with my daughter crouching on the floorboard as she didn't want her picture taken lol)...

TWL_1427.JPG

The barn in case you were curious...
272246043_4806387202770673_4552801936457095715_n (1).jpg

The Mrs and I have done well last year (the last 3 really) in regards to low expenses, decent bonuses, and good investment increases, so I'm trying to convince her that we need to buy ~20-50 acres and just sit on it. Ideally, I'd find a farm that has been parsed out or being sold off. My hope is to get one with a barn just like this :) I won't do any of those "barndominiums", but will definitely go (New) Old Yankee Workshop on it!

Last edited:
We had some more "2WD driving weather" earlier in the week, about 6" total overnight and 1" more the next day. I wanted to go drive to the lake (not the one I'm on, the larger one down the road), but it was blocked off to keep idiots away.

View attachment 303624

Driving more and more on the MT/Rs in the snow and they're still better than I expected but still a M/T tire. I forgot to air down some more (currently 28 psig, was gonna go 24 psig) but didn't have any issues. Traction breaks loose and comes back as expected and is controllable in skids/drifts. Not what I'd pick for lots of highway or back road driving, but in +6" of fresh powder, the LJ is quite the beast!

View attachment 303625

Pulled over to snap some pretty light falling on a barn I'm in love with down the block, so of course I had to turn around and get a snap of the Jeep (with my daughter crouching on the floorboard as she didn't want her picture taken lol)...

View attachment 303626

The barn in case you were curious...
View attachment 303629

The Mrs and I have done well last year (the last 3 really) in regards to low expenses, decent bonuses, and good investment increases, so I'm trying to convince her that we need to buy ~20-50 acres and just sit on it. Ideally, I'd find a farm that has been parsed out or being sold off. My hope is to get one with a barn just like this :) I won't do any of those "barndominiums", but will definitely go (New) Old Yankee Workshop on it!

May someone look at you the way @pc1p looks at that barn. I must admit though, the barn is purdy.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and PRNDL
Haven't posted much about the Jeep because, well, there isn't much going on with it. Driving it all winter has proven it to be much smoother and more stabile than I expected in icy conditions, despite the relatively small WB and high CoG. I even took her out after a heavy ice storm (to check on neighbors and the parents of close friends who live nearby) and managed to snap a picture that won me the February Ride of the Month :)

DSC_0028-1.jpg

I gotta say that after spending 16 years in the desert southwest, having seasons again has been a really nice change of pace. Despite being desert babies, the kids are enjoying the winter weather and all the opportunities to practice their skating skills. Apparently 3 years of figure skating and ice hockey has paid off...

DSC_0010.JPG

A2K_3840.JPG

Even did some skating at all 3 major ice rinks in NYC (Rockefeller, Central Park, and Bryant Park)!
IMG_6333.JPG

That said, we are all looking forward to spring. My daughter is doing track & field (@starkey480 will appreciate her signing up for pole vaulting!) and the season just kicked off (despite a cold snap this week). As part of my 2022 New Year's Resolution, I've been getting out with my camera a lot more. Living on a lake makes it easy to capture something at almost any time of the day...

DSC_3268 copy.jpg

DSC_5466-1.jpg

TWL_2163 copy.jpg

With the warmer weather coming, I've got to update my "to do list" for the LJ. First up will be getting the Savvy sliders prepped, painted and installed. I also need to redo the RMS/Oil Pan gasket since the leak hasn't stopped. Based on a ton of reading, I think my leak stems from the rear bearing cap. Per Mopar, I used anaerobic sealer. Apparently this isn't the "preferred" method nowadays and a few people have stated to use good ol' black RTV on the caps (this is specific to 05-06 4.0's). Once it really gets warm, I'll get my half-doors cleaned, fitted, painted and installed and will also rig up a hard-top hoist (which also needs to be cleaned and repainted).

DSC_3053-1 copy.jpg

Always enjoy seeing your effective use of depth of field....

Nice update, PC. Glad you are enjoying PA. I'd love to have a frozen lake nearby.

Always enjoy seeing your effective use of depth of field....

Nice update, PC. Glad you are enjoying PA. I'd love to have a frozen lake nearby.
It really is amazing to see what a guy who knows what he's doing take a photo in an ordinary spot and make it extraordinary. I don't have the eye for photography, much as I try. The photos always fall (and look) flat.

Reactions: psrivats and pc1p
It really is amazing to see what a guy who knows what he's doing take a photo in an ordinary spot and make it extraordinary. I don't have the eye for photography, much as I try. The photos always fall (and look) flat.
To be fair, I took a lot of awful photos early in my photography life... learning the differences between what the eyes see and what the camera can capture (film or digital) takes some time for sure. Learning how to make those manipulations to capture the composition and exposure you want is where there is no replacement for practice.

Haven't posted much about the Jeep because, well, there isn't much going on with it. Driving it all winter has proven it to be much smoother and more stabile than I expected in icy conditions, despite the relatively small WB and high CoG. I even took her out after a heavy ice storm (to check on neighbors and the parents of close friends who live nearby) and managed to snap a picture that won me the February Ride of the Month :)

View attachment 319596

I gotta say that after spending 16 years in the desert southwest, having seasons again has been a really nice change of pace. Despite being desert babies, the kids are enjoying the winter weather and all the opportunities to practice their skating skills. Apparently 3 years of figure skating and ice hockey has paid off...

View attachment 319597
View attachment 319590

Even did some skating at all 3 major ice rinks in NYC (Rockefeller, Central Park, and Bryant Park)!
View attachment 319593

That said, we are all looking forward to spring. My daughter is doing track & field (@starkey480 will appreciate her signing up for pole vaulting!) and the season just kicked off (despite a cold snap this week). As part of my 2022 New Year's Resolution, I've been getting out with my camera a lot more. Living on a lake makes it easy to capture something at almost any time of the day...

View attachment 319591

View attachment 319592

View attachment 319598

With the warmer weather coming, I've got to update my "to do list" for the LJ. First up will be getting the Savvy sliders prepped, painted and installed. I also need to redo the RMS/Oil Pan gasket since the leak hasn't stopped. Based on a ton of reading, I think my leak stems from the rear bearing cap. Per Mopar, I used anaerobic sealer. Apparently this isn't the "preferred" method nowadays and a few people have stated to use good ol' black RTV on the caps (this is specific to 05-06 4.0's). Once it really gets warm, I'll get my half-doors cleaned, fitted, painted and installed and will also rig up a hard-top hoist (which also needs to be cleaned and repainted).

View attachment 319594

It's OK. I don't want your tyres and wheels anymore.

BTW, Rise Up Red Sea ! Go Cards.

Apparently going from 50º, to 20º, to 70º, to 30º, to 60º, back to 20º over a 6-day period was enough to crap out my battery... Luckily it was still under warranty and I got it swapped out in the autozone parking lot on my way to the airport for a work trip...

IMG_7684.jpg

While I was changing the battery, I noticed the cam sensor was missing the bolt holding it into the distributor and it was rotated about 15-20º. A quick trip down the block from AutoZone got the correct M6 bolt to secure the cam sensor properly. Don't know where the old bolt went, but happy I saw it before it became a problem...

I've got some yard work to get caught up on this weekend (plus I need winterize my snow blower), but I hope to get the Savvy sliders pulled out of the box and prepped for paint. I'm gonna start working on the half doors as well, getting them prepped for paint next. I gotta figure out what type of softtop I want to run - leaning towards a "fastback" style top with the sides removed, but stored inside the rear in case of quickly changing weather. Great thing about the LJ is the extra room to store things.

Also, I've seen so many Jeeps around here with tires sticking out past the flares that I'm gonna pull these extended flares off and replace with a set of factory flares instead. I still honestly hate the look of these (though they are very practical), so with spring here, it seems like a good time to get the paint cleaned up and get the replacements on.

Don't you mean "summerize" your snowblower? No need to winterize it since that's when you use it. ;)