PCM Repair

Carrington59

Recently I had intermittent PCM failure on my 2006 Jeep TJ Rubicon MT. 50/50 whether starter would get power (if gauges moved it would get power, if they didnt then I would turn key and get nothing). For the times it would start, it would frequently sputter and die while driving as a result of losing all electrical power. I replaced the PCM with a WranglerFix PCM and my Jeep runs great. However, I plan on stroking my engine down the road (couple years ish). The WranglerFix PCMs are untuneable which is a problem for dyno testing and tuning PCM after stroker is built and put in. Since these PCMs are discontinued, is it possible to open up and repair it? Does anyone have any experience/tips/advice? Ideally, I would like to fix it myself since even if I buy a used one it could potentially go bad down the road and it will be even harder to find a replacement. The PN for my PCM is 56044698AC but it had a software update which now labels it as 56044709AC.

There's an explanation out there about how they fail, probably by wranglerfix, but the short answer is no. That's why he developed the one you have.

Ya I know that normally when they fail its unrepairable but since I didnt have the normal trouble codes (didnt have anyone), I have slim but high hopes its something small like a blown capacitor or solder connection broke. Trying to get it open to take a look but unsure how to open it once tabs are pried open.

I don't remember where, but I saw a writeup on opening it up and why they were basically not repairable.

Do you know where the write up is? If I can open it up I can check the circuit board and solder points and see if maybe there is something people can do to fix it. My hold up right now is it seems like all the others have 2 screws you have to remove after opening the tabs but I do not see any screws on mine.

I might. But in my opinion its worth a shot. If I just get a used mopar one when I build stroker (if its even available as they are already starting to become scarce and expensive) I still run the risk of running into same issue with no way to fix it. Plus it gives me a project. Even if low chances of success.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I might. But in my opinion its worth a shot. If I just get a used mopar one when I build stroker (if its even available as they are already starting to become scarce and expensive) I still run the risk of running into same issue with no way to fix it. Plus it gives me a project. Even if low chances of success.

Have you talked to Mark at Wrangler Fix about what you're trying to do? Nobody knows these PCM's as well as he does. I'm sure he'd give you an honest assessment of what your chances of success are and maybe even some pointers.

Reached out to him to see if he could repair it after I got my WranglerFix PCM as I know his site mentions a repair service as well but haven't heard back yet. @Wranglerfix any thoughts?
The factory “pots” over the surface of the motherboard. Basically there’s a layer of hardened gel over all of the circuits that make it almost impossible to remove without damaging anything.

@Carrington59 The 05/06 wrangler pcms are not repairable. Stalling while driving and all O2 sensors showing bad when good are the two main symptoms of manual pcm failure.

You can call me tomorrow to discuss in further detail. I’m up early.

Thanks,

Mark

Reactions: Carrington59
Sounds good. Thank you so much for the help by the way. Jeep runs great with your PCM in it. Just trying to get ahead of potential problems I might have down the road as I keep upgrading. Wonder if I can consider my Jeep a "dependent" when I file my taxes?