Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but then you'll spend another 10-15k getting it in and doing it right.

Not to mention the issue with it interfering with the mid-arm upper link in the front. Also, since mine is a SWB, the transmission would likely end up being longer thus I'd need to stretch the wheelbase a bit to avoid a super short driveshaft.

The stroker has appeal because it's a drop-in replacement. Of course 10k for a 4.0 seems absurd when you say it out loud.
I think it can be done for less. I'll let you know when mine is done.

My luck would be I'd add the stroker and toast the tranny

Reactions: TJ Starting
Why can't you build your own stroker using your current motor? Nothing magical or terribly complicated about a 4.0. I would think this would save your a lot of money.

I think it can be done for less. I'll let you know when mine is done.

My luck would be I'd add the stroker and toast the tranny

I think you have to account for the fact that time equals money. Like Blaine said, if most of these guys spend a year or so trying to get every little issue ironed out, then all that time they spent has some sort of monetary value.

But yes, I am sure it can be done for less.

Clearly I have a lot of pondering to do.

Why can't you build your own stroker using your current motor? Nothing magical or terribly complicated about a 4.0. I would think this would save your a lot of money.

It would, but I don't have the time to build and install an engine, not right now at least.

I think you have to account for the fact that time equals money. Like Blaine said, if most of these guys spend a year or so trying to get every little issue ironed out, then all that time they spent has some sort of monetary value.

But yes, I am sure it can be done for less.

Clearly I have a lot of pondering to do.
Time's not my problem, laziness is.

Plus I still have a functional jeep to use, which is a major factor.

Reactions: Lax22 and Chris
Bringing a little bit of ice into this discussion...

@Chris have you considered buying a UTV? Or, perhaps a Polaris slingshot.
I considered it when we first moved here and quickly realized that a UTV for me would be a waste of money I think.

Right, but then you'll spend another 10-15k getting it in and doing it right.

Not to mention the issue with it interfering with the mid-arm upper link in the front. Also, since mine is a SWB, the transmission would likely end up being longer thus I'd need to stretch the wheelbase a bit to avoid a super short driveshaft.

The stroker has appeal because it's a drop-in replacement. Of course 10k for a 4.0 seems absurd when you say it out loud.
Chris, I'm in the middle of a Golen stroker swap right now, which I'm documenting in my build thread. I'm not in a position to say its the right choice (not done yet) but I don't think your number is too far off. With me doing the work, It looks like it will be just under $9K. Not a budget motor but MUCH cheaper and easier than a crate LS. Also, while its hard to say no to more power, I think 400+HP in a 3100# vehicle might be more than I need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob and Vasq
Chris, I'm in the middle of a Golen stroker swap right now, which I'm documenting in my build thread. I'm not in a position to say Its the right choice (not done yet) but I don't think your number is too far off. With me doing the work, It looks like it will be just under $9K. Not a budget motor but MUCH cheaper and easier than a crate LS. Also, while its hard to say no to more power, I think 400+HP in a 3100# vehicle might be more than I need.
I’m going to have to follow your build in that case. I am very curious to hear some real world feedback on the Golen stroker engines. Not cheap, but definitely cheaper than a LS swap or similar.

Should have just got that spare engine from @pc1p 😆

Reactions: pc1p and Woodrow
Chris, I'm in the middle of a Golen stroker swap right now, which I'm documenting in my build thread. I'm not in a position to say Its the right choice (not done yet) but I don't think your number is too far off. With me doing the work, It looks like it will be just under $9K. Not a budget motor but MUCH cheaper and easier than a crate LS. Also, while its hard to say no to more power, I think 400+HP in a 3100# vehicle might be more than I need.
The Golen stroker is 400HP? Or are you talking about the LS?

The Golen stroker is 400HP? Or are you talking about the LS?
I was talking about an LS. On their engine dyno, the Golen stroker is about 280 hp and 320 ft/lbs. I did a baseline chasis dyno on my stock 4.0L (posted in my build thread) and will return to that dyno after the stroker is installed and will report back.

Last edited:
Our the super chargers that are available too unreliable?
Too many issues. They only work well with an intercooler. Intercoolers on a TJ are problematic at best but doable. The worst is the 7th injector that uses a gas spray to cool the charge air, second best is air to air, best is air to liquid.

I was talking about an LS. On their engine dyno, the Golen stroker is about 280 hp and 320 ft/lbs. I did a baseline chasis dyno on my stock 4.0L (posted in my thread) and will return to that dyno after its in and will report back once the stroker is installed.
Ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on Golens site.

Too many issues. They only work well with an intercooler. Intercoolers on a TJ are problematic at best but doable. The worst is the 7th injector that uses a gas spray to cool the charge air, second best is air to air, best is air to liquid.
Ever see anybody add methanol?

Ever thought about going old school? Say to hell with the modern engine platform and all the accompanying electronics? SBC with a holly sniper FI. Mechanical gages. I'd image it's cheaper, and easier to get "right" than anything modern. Wouldn't pass federal emissions, but I'm not sure if that is a concern of yours.

Lots of folks do it. I'm not a fan of stuff that has to be refilled other than fuel to keep going on a day to day basis. It would suck to melt pistons because you forgot to hit up your local still for some high grade shine.
In agreement, just know it's an option.

Ever thought about going old school? Say to hell with the modern engine platform and all the accompanying electronics? SBC with a holly sniper FI. Mechanical gages. I'd image it's cheaper, and easier to get "right" than anything modern. Wouldn't pass federal emissions, but I'm not sure if that is a concern of yours.
Yep, this crossed my mind as well at one point. Of course with my luck the carb would be a pain in the butt to constantly be messing with.

Our the super chargers that are available too unreliable?

Best one I have found is the Magnum Powers unit. You can produce some pretty good horsepower with it, but the issue is that it isn’t anywhere close to being a “kit”. There’s a lot that will be left to the customer to figure out such as the cooling system, need for a new, aftermarket radiator, where to mount the intercooler (which is water to air fortunately).

At the end of the day though if you’re going through all this work, a turbo would be the better option as it’s going to be more efficient than a supercharger and then some.

I am not a fan of the Split Second piggyback controller and 7th injector that so many like to use.

Reactions: Apparition
Status
Not open for further replies.