Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the Rubi crawler is enough extra that I'm considering swapping a 42rle into my Jeep when the manual finally gives out. I'd sell my 241 tho and install a 231. 10.8 to one or whatever is to ridiculously slow, IMHO. I think having 2.72 and 7.4 would be PLENTY. I think the proceeds of the 241 would almost cover the cost of the rubicrawler too.

Yeah the Rubi crawler is enough extra that I'm considering swapping a 42rle into my Jeep when the manual finally gives out. I'd sell my 241 tho and install a 231. 10.8 to one or whatever is to ridiculously slow, IMHO. I think having 2.72 and 7.4 would be PLENTY. I think the proceeds of the 241 would almost cover the cost of the rubicrawler too.
I can’t imagine needing to go lower than my ~7.4

Reactions: DrDmoney
I kept trying to find a reason to install a RubiCrawler, but with the 4:1 ratio on my 241OR transfer case, I simply don’t think it’s necessary.

I have yet to find a spot out here in the desert where anything lower than the 4:1 would come in handy. Now with a 231 transfer case, then the RubiCrawler might make more sense.

Reactions: Tob and JMT
I kept trying to find a reason to install a RubiCrawler, but with the 4:1 ratio on my 241OR transfer case, I simply don’t think it’s necessary.

I have yet to find a spot out here in the desert where anything lower than the 4:1 would come in handy. Now with a 231 transfer case, then the RubiCrawler might make more sense.
Go hit up the Rubicon

Reactions: DrDmoney

For me, it's more about the 2.72 part...I get into some areas where 4:1 is just too slow, but 1:1 is too high. I'd like to have the option to pick. Like, when I'm in the sand dunes, the 4 liter doesn't have the HP to really do well in high range, but 4:1 is not enough wheel speed. 2.72 works about perfect for all my buddies with a 231 tcase. Mud is the same way...I can't get enough wheel speed with a 4:1 to clear the tires, but I smoke my clutch in high range.

Last edited:
For me, it's more about the 2.72 part...I get into some areas where 4:1 is just too slow, but 1:1 is too high. I'd like to have the option to pick. Like, when I'm in the sand dunes, the 4.0 doesn't have the HP to really do well in high range, but 4:1 is not enough wheel speed. 2.72 works about perfect for all my buddies with a 231 tcase. Mud is the same way...I can't get enough wheel speed with a 4:1 to clear the tires, but I smoke my clutch in high range.
I can relate to this entirely as I’ve run into this same situation more times than I can count. Never had an issue with 4:1 being not low enough, it’s just the in between areas where it’s too low.

Reactions: Mike_H
I just did one in a TJ Unlimited with the 42 on 37's with the 231. He reported back after this last weekend that it is practically magical how well it works. I thought it might be a bit too low, oddly the 42 will shift up into drive and stay there if you need to scoot a bit faster on the trail when you are in 7.4-1.

One thing to avoid is using the crawler box to get 2.72-1 and not shift the t-case because you're being lazy. That over revs the 231 and will eventually take it out.

It makes more sense with the 231 than I ever thought it would. Enough so that I'd be hard pressed to tell anyone not to do it.

I can relate to this entirely as I’ve run into this same situation more times than I can count. Never had an issue with 4:1 being not low enough, it’s just the in between areas where it’s too low.
My buddy's Rubi has the same issue busting snow drifts, you end up running low range and 3rd gear.

Reactions: tombicon and Chris
For me, it's more about the 2.72 part...I get into some areas where 4:1 is just too slow, but 1:1 is too high. I'd like to have the option to pick. Like, when I'm in the sand dunes, the 4.0 doesn't have the HP to really do well in high range, but 4:1 is not enough wheel speed. 2.72 works about perfect for all my buddies with a 231 tcase. Mud is the same way...I can't get enough wheel speed with a 4:1 to clear the tires, but I smoke my clutch in high range.
This is what I've found to be the most valuable. I wheel in a combination of woods, mud, and rocks, all on the same day. Swapping between 2.72:1 and 4:1 has given me great flexibility at the flip of a couple levers. Surprisingly, this year I've begun using the 10:88 for some steep rock climbs. I can make line adjustments in smaller, more controlled increments. It is sloooow going though!

That certainly has me thinking about swapping the 241 for a 231 and a RubiCrawler.
I'd like to have a valid reason to tell you not to, I really would. But, after doing one and playing with it around here, I'm not seeing a downside except expense and sometimes AA is a real pain to deal with.

The upside is getting rid of the 241 and the vibe potential. Being able to install a Super Short SYE and get a longer rear driveshaft is nothing to sneeze at.

Be aware that the mounting deck on the tail shaft housing that the crawler is housed in is higher than stock so in order to keep the front pinion yoke off of the Savvy crossmember, you will have to make a 1/4" spacer to put between the top of the motor mount and the bottom of the crawler box. You aren't changing the height, you are just putting it back where it was.

I'd like to have a valid reason to tell you not to, I really would. But, after doing one and playing with it around here, I'm not seeing a downside except expense and sometimes AA is a real pain to deal with.

The upside is getting rid of the 241 and the vibe potential. Being able to install a Super Short SYE and get a longer rear driveshaft is nothing to sneeze at.

Be aware that the mounting deck on the tail shaft housing that the crawler is housed in is higher than stock so in order to keep the front pinion yoke off of the Savvy crossmember, you will have to make a 1/4" spacer to put between the top of the motor mount and the bottom of the crawler box. You aren't changing the height, you are just putting it back where it was.

Good info! I forgot about the super short SYE and longer rear driveshaft. Not to mention finding a reasonably priced 231 is a lot easier than finding a 241.

I could probably almost pay for a RubiCrawler with the sale of a 241.

I'm not seeing a downside except expense and sometimes AA is a real pain to deal with.
It might have something to do with their failure to win at spelling bees!

XIVaFXY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.